Biases, and Semantics

I don't want to have sex with Kevin, I just want to bake him some cookies or something. If we "get a room", it would have to be someone's kitchen. I don't think there are any dive motels that rent kitchens by the half-hour.

I maintain that the only people who are particularly bothered by the word are the ones who will also say things like "i am kinky, I slapped her butt during doggy last night", so yeah, still not seeing a value judgement because kink isn't of different value than vanilla sex or a vanilla relationship.

On Fetlife right now there is a discussion about this and it's quite clear that some people believe being in a kink based relationship means that communication, trust, etc is inherently superior than it is in a vanilla one. You know, some people say the same about polyamorous relationships. These people are definitely making a value judgement when they say vanilla, they believe that vanilla relationships are inferior and anything they say about vanilla relationships will echo that sentiment.

Ah, well, there's all kinds of theories about "my way is better" for whatever reason. I still like being called vanilla (both in and out of the bedroom). It suits me. We can't all be exciting kinksters, I suppose.

Same deal with pansexual: I've heard it virtually defined as "not hung up on genitalia." Sigh. Straight and gay people alike can savor that gem of a definition. Sorry folks, but I am what I am. Straight, vanilla, and vanilla. Unless polyamory is a kind of kink. And then I guess you can call me a little kinky.

As for BoringGuy, if I find a dive hotel that rents a kitchen by the half-hour, I'll rent it immediately. You know I'll be dreaming of those cookies, and I bet they will be frosted with hummingbird and butterfly designs. :)

Only the highest regards,
Kevin T.

As for BoringGuy, if I find a dive hotel that rents a kitchen by the half-hour, I'll rent it immediately. You know I'll be dreaming of those cookies, and I bet they will be frosted with hummingbird and butterfly designs. :)

Only the highest regards,
Kevin T.

:eek:
http://youtu.be/m6UFhis2xMQ

:cool:

Given the YouTube links floating around, I'm beginning to think BG has stumbled upon my iPod playlist... And flirting with cookies is a dirty trick. I'm swooning vicariously.

As for semantic bias, labels can be so subjective, I have a hard time even picking ways of personally identifying myself from time to time. I've called myself vanilla, only to be told, "ooooohhh, no you're not." Uh. Okay! <Thumbs up>

You say tomato, I say bruschetta. Just don't use a pejorative tone of voice when you call me whatever it is you're going to call me and I'll be good.

It's all in the delivery and intent, not so much the label. At least for me.

Youtube playlist

That's because we're both the same age & we are both from the same part of the country.

My roller derby league had an 80's themed fundraiser last month but i didn't go because i was officiating another league's home bout that day. I guess i still could have gone, there was still time, but i can only stand being around all those people to a certain point...

That's because we're both the same age & we are both from the same part of the country.

You and your danged logic.
But I'm willing to bet that there are songs on my playlists that would appall and repel a good number of folks my age from my part of the country as well. I'm a musical wacko.

Not in any pejorative sense, that is.

You and your danged logic.
But I'm willing to bet that there are songs on my playlists that would appall and repel a good number of folks my age from my part of the country as well. I'm a musical wacko.

Not in any pejorative sense, that is.

Eugene Chadbourne, by any chance?

Angry misogynistic white gangsta rap?

I can handle the truth.

Heh.
Let's see... it ranges from (picking representatives of certain genres here) Maxine Nightingale to Bone Crusher to Rick Springfield to Tom Lehrer to Frank Mills to Motorhead to Brad Paisley to small local bands (Entrain's a goodie) and current top 40 and back again.

I can safely say that I won't be musically pigeonholed.
But I have now fully digressed off-topic and this should probably go in the Fireplace thread for music if we want to continue. ;)

(And you bet your heiney I'm going to be checking out Eugene Chadbourne a bit more when I get home from work...)

(And you bet your heiney I'm going to be checking out Eugene Chadbourne a bit more when I get home from work...)

He's really old and I thought he was dead, but last year I found out he was still alive. I saw him play out locally once or twice a long time ago. Looks like he has a new (to me) "official" website.

I haven't heard of most of those other ones.

We can continue this on my wall, instead.

Back