More women, more PMS

JameeDee

Pinky1223 and I are discussing the monthly cycle of our relationship.

We've discovered a pattern :)

Fights always seem to come up about 2 days before she or I start our periods. Duh!

Problem is, we don't always recognize the signs...until 2 days later, when Aunt Flo shows up.

Then we feel bad for being bitchy and hormonal.

So, this month, Pinky (being the bestest girlfriend ever) recognized the signs of my PMS and sprung into action!

First: She recommended I take a xanax. I complied.
Next: She took Poppa aside and explained to him that he was not to try to be funny, or cute, or sexy, or even speak...really, for the next 48 hours.
Then: She had the same talk with my son, and made sure his chores were done before I got home :)
Finally: She cooked my favorite comfort foods (Meatloaf & Mac n' Cheese), kept the children away from me, and let me go to bed early.

I love my girlfriend!

I woke up in a great mood the next day!

Anyone else have any tips or tricks for handling "that time of the month," when there is more than one female in the relationship?

Another idea would be for both of you to mark the first day of your periods on a prominent calendar in your house... actually I think all women should do that.

Xanax, really? Isn't that for anxiety? Seems extreme to me.

But then again, I never suffered from what they call PMS and I object to referring to anything associated with women's natural functions as a syndrome.

I would think, rather than medicating, why not just plan on pampering yourselves and/or each other? Bubble baths, massages, meditation, go swimming, a nice walk in nature, that kind of stuff.

Xanax, really? Isn't that for anxiety? Seems extreme to me.

But then again, I never suffered from what they call PMS and I object to referring to anything associated with women's natural functions as a syndrome.

I would think, rather than medicating, why not just plan on pampering yourselves and/or each other? Bubble baths, massages, meditation, go swimming, a nice walk in nature, that kind of stuff.

Ditto. To all.

Another idea would be for both of you to mark the first day of your periods on a prominent calendar in your house... actually I think all women should do that.

The men-folk have jokingly requested I mark my period on the house calendar ... At least, I think they were joking.

Some of us do get extreme emotional swings and all the pampering in the world doesn't help. The medicating isn't for others, it can be necessary to function. While I don't resort to the prescription strength stuff, I do need more than just a hot bath.

There is a novel called The Red Tent (great read!) set in Biblical times (OT) where the women would have to go into a tent during their menstrual cycles, kind of like they were quarantined (likely some religious thing, they were "unclean" or some such nonsense).... but ironically it was there and then that the women had some wonderful bonding times!

I think it's so sweet how you two look out for each other. :)

. . . they were quarantined (likely some religious thing, they were "unclean" or some such nonsense).... but ironically it was there and then that the women had some wonderful bonding times!

There were also cultures that believed women were holy (medicine women) and were closer to their inner wisdom during their "moon times." Separating them from the rest of the clan/tribe/community was a way of honoring the deep processes they underwent each month. They would wear rags and menstrual blood was considered magical. It was a time of prayer and introspection, and they would come back with more wisdom to share with the tribe.

I can relate!! Except that it's just me, the only female in the house. I was feeling snappy and angry and sad and jealous and, well, every emotion under the sun yesterday. But, I actually caught myself this time and recognized it for what it was instead of lashing out at J (like I really wanted to). I held it all in and kept it in check. We had a great date night as a result :)

This morning, yep, Mother Nature calling! I wasn't happy about it, but I was proud of myself for recognizing why I was feeling the way I was and not letting it control me. Now if I could just do this every month J would think I was Superwoman or something, fighting the forces of evil hormones!!

Heh. My roommate and I tend to get into massively bitchy fights around our periods, too. I'm not entirely convinced it's just because of hormones, but I think the irritability makes any other issues that much harder to deal with calmly.

I do know that my boyfriend really appreciated it the other day when I told him that I wanted to discuss some issues with him, but that I didn't want to have the discussion just yet because I'm pretty pissy right now. He was quite grateful that I'd pointed it out myself, instead of him silently biting his tongue about it.

I think it's awesome that she did all that for you!

I don't get a period anymore due to meds for endometriosis, but I still get the hormone flux. When I recognize it I warn Karma and he usualy treads a little lighter. I don't get bitchy as much as I take everything personaly and cry at every percieved attack.

Panda and I didn't live together, but we might as well have with all the time we spent together. We started getting them together and Karma would come home with ice cream and movies and then leave to our house or hers depending on where we were. We got along fine, we'd just sit there and cry together over stupid movies.

and yes for some women the way the hormones change, medication is needed. It may be a naturaly occuring, good thing, religious experience, but if the hormones shift that far, a bubble bath is not going to make anything better. I was ready to put my Dr up for sainthood when she finaly saw what other dr's didn't. With my hormones regulated, my moods are much more stable, my endo pain is almost un noticable, and I have a sex drive again. Hormones play a larger role than most people realize.

I am in menopause, so you can be sure I understand what hormones will do - especially when I feel like a furnace inside me has suddenly been turned up all the way! My reaction in this thread was to taking Xanax. I don't think something like that should ever be laughed about and considered so lightly.

If anyone's interested in natural ways to support the processes a women undergoes, rather than just eradicating symptoms with allopathic medicine, check out Susun Weed's books. I've met her and taken classes with her. She added the chapter on thyroid health to her book Menopausal Years after I suggested it to her (and she sent me a new revised copy as a thank-you!). She's very knowledgeable.

http://www.susunweed.com/WiseWomanHerbals.htm

and also:

Down There: Sexual and Reproductive Health the Wise Woman Way

Last edited:
Apologies

My reaction in this thread was to taking Xanax. I don't think something like that should ever be laughed about and considered so lightly.

Sorry, ncyindie, didn't mean to offend. I do have a prescription. I'm not buying them on the street or the internet.

Let's get back to the point of this thread...what does everyone do to smooth out the wrinkles in your life caused by PMS/hormones/being a chick?

:)

Back