He wants to be poly; I don't

LadyRaven

Hello all. I'm new here and hoping for some advice.

My boyfriend and I have been together nearly three years, living together for just over two. In the past year, he's rekindled an interest in S&M that he had before we met. He wants to be whipped and spanked. It's not something I've done before, but I'm willing to learn.

The problem is, he doesn't seem to want me to be the one whipping him. A few months ago, he told me he wants to try polyamory. I'd be his Primary, he assures me, but he wants a Secondary girlfriend (one who already knows her way around a flogger), and maybe to play around at S&M parties.

I have no problem with the concept of polyamory in general - many of our friends live that lifestyle and seem perfectly happy - but it's not something I have any interest in bringing into my own relationship. I don't want him canoodling with someone else, I don't want to be sitting home alone while he's out on a date (nor am I really interested in engaging in another relationship of my own), and I simply don't want a time-share boyfriend. I want to be the one sexually satisfying him. I'm willing to engage in the S&M that he wants, but he keeps holding me at arm's length from it.

In addition, he originally told me he wanted to try poly to "experience the different energies" that other people bring. Did he want to have sex with others? He didn't know. Did he want another girlfriend? He didn't know. A few months later, he confessed that he'd had a specific girl in mind for his Secondary all along. For me, it then turned from "I want to experience different people" to "I want to get it on with this girl and still keep my girlfriend". So on top of dealing with his new desires, I have to get past having been misled and essentially lied to.

We love each other and want to spend our lives together, but he really wants this and I really don't. How can we get past this situation? Does a compromise exist?

Would it maybe be possible for the both of you to see someone with more Topping/Dominant experience TOGETHER so you can learn from her? A mentor type relationship maybe.

You might want to tag search (search in the top top tool bar, type in what you want to search for, tick tags, enter) for boundaries or rules.

Would it maybe be possible for the both of you to see someone with more Topping/Dominant experience TOGETHER so you can learn from her? A mentor type relationship maybe.

You might want to tag search (search in the top top tool bar, type in what you want to search for, tick tags, enter) for boundaries or rules.

A friend of ours has been doing that and I am progressing well. He's still reluctant. He's even sometimes laughed at me when I've tried to dominate him.

It's almost as if he wants me to remain the "good and pure" girlfriend while he goes to someone else for the "naughty" things he wants.

Hello all. I'm new here and hoping for some advice.

My boyfriend and I have been together nearly three years, living together for just over two. In the past year, he's rekindled an interest in S&M that he had before we met. He wants to be whipped and spanked. It's not something I've done before, but I'm willing to learn.

The problem is, he doesn't seem to want me to be the one whipping him. A few months ago, he told me he wants to try polyamory. I'd be his Primary, he assures me, but he wants a Secondary girlfriend (one who already knows her way around a flogger), and maybe to play around at S&M parties.

BDSM has some interesting quirks to them. One of them is how individual a person can be in picking their sadist/top/etc. I can sub.. and maybe will someday. I could never... EVER do it for my wife.

Even if she was trained and became a good top/domme I would not submit to her, and she could not beat me.

So it may not be a skill thing, it might be a you thing. Thats not meant as an offensive statement. Just pure fact :)

I have no problem with the concept of polyamory in general - many of our friends live that lifestyle and seem perfectly happy - but it's not something I have any interest in bringing into my own relationship. I don't want him canoodling with someone else, I don't want to be sitting home alone while he's out on a date (nor am I really interested in engaging in another relationship of my own), and I simply don't want a time-share boyfriend. I want to be the one sexually satisfying him. I'm willing to engage in the S&M that he wants, but he keeps holding me at arm's length from it.

Read above..

I guess I could explain further. If he is a switch, and could bottom. You might not be top material. Its an attitude. A feel.. a personality and most of all, for me, chemistry. I can't sub to the toughest dommes, but I can think of a certain someone I would want to beat me.

In addition, he originally told me he wanted to try poly to "experience the different energies" that other people bring. Did he want to have sex with others? He didn't know. Did he want another girlfriend? He didn't know. A few months later, he confessed that he'd had a specific girl in mind for his Secondary all along. For me, it then turned from "I want to experience different people" to "I want to get it on with this girl and still keep my girlfriend". So on top of dealing with his new desires, I have to get past having been misled and essentially lied to.

Why assume he misled you. Maybe he didn't know. Maybe he wasn't quite sure. Maybe it evolved over those months. Maybe the desire to be topped became stronger and stronger to the point he couldn't resist. Its a different kind of desire, and a different kind of person. At least in my limited experiences with subs.

Poly and BDSM is an easy combination (in one respect) due to how regimented BDSM can be. If he is looking for a topping gf, he is literally looking for a jig saw piece to fill a need that can't be fullfilled for some reason. Its not a short coming on your part at all..

Where I migth begin to get concerned is if it turns into a Master/Slave or D/s relationship. You may want to educate yourself on the nuances of this potential type of relationship as it can become a HUGE hinderance in poly. The freedom of poly can be quickly locked down in a poorly structured dominant setup. Luckily your bf sounds like a masochistic which doesn't always include domination/master roles.

We love each other and want to spend our lives together, but he really wants this and I really don't. How can we get past this situation? Does a compromise exist?

Could you handle him with a play partner. Someone to beat and flog the hell out of him, with the removal of emotion. This happens a lot in BDSM too.

If..a) he really wants a gf and b) you really don't want him to have a gf. There really isn't a compromise. Someone has to give in.

Why assume he misled you. Maybe he didn't know. Maybe he wasn't quite sure. Maybe it evolved over those months. Maybe the desire to be topped became stronger and stronger to the point he couldn't resist. Its a different kind of desire, and a different kind of person. At least in my limited experiences with subs..

He admitted that he knew and didn't want to tell me, either because he thought it was all too much for me to process at once or because he thought I'd get angry at the girl, who is a friend. (FTR, I am not at all angry at her.)

Could you handle him with a play partner. Someone to beat and flog the hell out of him, with the removal of emotion. This happens a lot in BDSM too.

I told him I was fine with that. He doesn't want to leave it there.

I told him I was fine with that. He doesn't want to leave it there.

I think your boyfriend needs to do research on "compromise". Relationships are give and take...not all take. He wants a play partner and you seem good with that as long as it sticks to non-sexual/emotional connection, if I understand you correctly. BUT he wants a play partner and a sexual/emotional relationship and you are not ok with that.

He needs to be made aware that to get eveything he wants from this new girl he may have to give up parts of what he currently has. Cause and effect, reward and cost.
To expect to get everything without sacrifice is not realistic in any situation. Toddlers often have this expectation which is why the terrible two's are often so terrible ;)

Maybe you two just aren't fundamentally compatible over the long-term. Two or three years into a relationship is about how long it takes for folks to figure out that kind of shit.

I would just carry on talking and seeing where you get with experimenting. It sounds like you are both on a course for more negotiation and more experience before really figuring out what it is that will work under the circumstance you are in with each other.

It sounds like you are being honest and open about what is going on for you, trying things out and thinking hard about what would work. Keep at it... so he laughed this time, well he might not if he told you what he wants to hear and what he wants to experience... maybe some pictures, some videos.... some naughty talk... maybe you will like it, maybe not.

Go and find out what BDSM is like at a club or event. Find poly people to hang out with or talk on line; join fetlife and check out the forums there... read here. There is so much you could do before throwing up your hands in defeat.

You are both new to this stuff, so take it easy and be aware that everything takes time. Sometimes years. Learn about it all and see where you get. This is just the beginning.

Poly and BDSM is an easy combination (in one respect) due to how regimented BDSM can be. If he is looking for a topping gf, he is literally looking for a jig saw piece to fill a need that can't be fullfilled for some reason. Its not a short coming on your part at all...

I read a very interesting piece on poly and BDSM, which contrasted structured and more open attitudes to polyamory. Ask him what he wants - a girlfriend who is also a top or a Domme. If the latter, what part in his life does he think she will play? What will be the impact on the two of you if he starts a D/s relationship with someone else? D/s can fall into various places on the sexual/non-sexual and occasional bedroom play/24-7 lifestyle spectra.

What does the girlfriend-candidate think of all this?

Hi LadyRaven,

Here's the short, simplistic version of what I think might be going on.

When we connect with people there are certain characteristics we really attach - find value in. It's kind of a cross between a fantasy image and reality. (humans have great imaginations sometimes).

It's VERY common to also have multiple interests. We're complex creatures. But that's part of what makes someone special/attractive. Straightforward and predictable soon become boring.

So it's very common for people to cast a lover in a certain role that seems to suit them well and we find it totally alluring. It's a big part of that connection. But if they were to step OUTSIDE that role then they would damage the current image we are so attracted to !

Does this make sense to you at all ?

My guess is that you are not by nature the 'dominant/sadistic' type. Maybe you are the fairy type. Light, happy, airy etc. He loves that about you and can't begin to envision you in an opposing role. And my belief is that you shouldn't try to be ! Unless it calls to you naturally - which is somewhat unlikely. You really can't be both and be the best at it. They are kind of opposing forces.

Be happy you have your role ! It's special. Perfect it !

Let him find his darker needs from someone who is more naturally constructed that way. The two are complimentary - not conflictive.

GS

Sorry for the super-long post, everyone! TP made me do it!

Yet again the people who speak computer make fun of those who don't :D! I couldn't for the life of me guess how to link this so here it is in full, courtesy of http://ds-arts.com/academy/index.html, used with permission.

Structural Dynamics
by Peggy aka O

Finding a partner to match your own

People walk into relationships with very definite expectations. Frequently these expectations are reflective of the expectations of society as well as derived from observation of our parents, siblings and others.

How a relationship actually functions is molded by these expectations. Their long term sustainability and viability is also molded by these expectations.

People tend to attach to either form or essence in terms of their relationships. If one can visualize a linear progression, one end of the spectrum could be viewed as "Structuralist" and the other end "Preservationist".

"Structuralist"

Our society is very much based on structuralist relationships for our romantic ideals. The most common "structuralist" construct is the monogamous two member heterosexual household. Society as a whole has a difficult time visualizing anything outside that model. When people do deviate from that model and it is generally done secretly and, if discovered terminates the relationship. Even when it is done openly, there is a high degree of judgment from peers as to the acceptability. When a non-traditional structure fails, it is invariably blamed on the lack of traditional structure whereas when a traditional structure fails other reasons are cited as the cause.

In the BDSM community an example of a structuralist might be a Master or Mistress who has a very heavy layer of protocol which deviates very little from slave to slave. Typically there is a requirement that the relationship be lived out in set ways and if either party is unable to maintain the structure the relationship terminates. One sees Dominants who terminate relationships because they have become overly fond of their submissive/slave and no longer feel capable of maintaining the structure. One may see a submissive or slave terminate a relationship because they cannot cope with the lack of flexibility in terms of things they feel unable to do. One also sees either party terminating the relationship when they feel that the other has not lived according to the expectations of the structure.

Asking someone about their expectations for a relationship will help place them on the spectrum of Structuralist versus

Preservationist. A Structuralist will tend to have very detailed sets of expectations for behaviors, goals and interaction both for themselves and their partner. In many cases ground rules will be pre-established. It is the responsibility of the partner to fit in the context of the expectations and pre-set rules, as opposed to expectations being relaxed on a case by case basis.

The advantage to Structuralist relationships is clear definition of expectations. There is also a high level of predictability in terms of the behaviors of both parties. It brings a high level of security because of the perception by both parties that there won't be any bad surprises.

The disadvantage is the fact that the relationship terminates if either party cannot conform to the pre-set expectations. If there is no compromise or flexibility then the relationship is doomed if one or the other becomes physically or emotionally unable to fulfill the key criteria of the structure.

"Preservationist"

Preservationists tend to be seen as the outsider or alternate lifestyle practioners by conventional society. They tend to maintain non-traditional pairings with one or more partners of both genders. They view each relationship as unique and work extremely hard to maintain the integrity of the relationship, even if the structure shifts dramatically. Frequently their relationships may be deemed as "over" by their more traditional peers when a dramatic shift has occurred, with the failure linked to the lack of appropriate structure.

In the BDSM community, Preservationists are frequently those with large and complex alternative family structures. THE "family trees" of some of these families can be overwhelming in their diversity, size and layering. Many times people will cycle through the families, occupying different functions at different times, but never actually leaving the structure of the family as a whole. One doesn't see relationships terminate as much as one sees them shift in their nature.

Again, asking someone of their expectations is a good way to place them on the spectrum. A Preservationist will tend to talk more about how they want the relationship to make them feel, as opposed to what they want it to look like. Their expectations tend to be expressed more on the basis of meeting each other's emotional needs as opposed to dealing with how the relationship is structured.

The advantage to Preservationist relationships is the inherent flexibility. There is a security in the fact that both parties are committed to maintaining the relationship and are willing to compromise to do it. The inherent expectation is that each will work equally to iron out the rough spots.

The disadvantage is the fact that both parties may not be equally committed to maintaining the relationship. One sees situations where one party is bending over backwards to be flexible and the other is not pulling their weight. It also can lead to a situation where one person can take advantage of the other's desire to maintain the relationship at all costs. This erodes trust within the relationship itself and, when the relationship finally breaks under the weight of one person carrying the load, reduces their ability to trust in future relationships. These relationships also tend to be emotionally more demanding because of the need to address the partner's changes in emotional outlook. There is also the fact that society tends to disapprove of relationships that do not fit conventional structure, which can add to the basic level of stress in a relationship.

"Where you fit"

In looking for a potential partner, one should attempt to assess where one fits in on the Structuralist/Preservationist scale. Key factors might be viewed as follows:

Desire for structure

Desire for predictability

Comfort with change

Adaptability/flexibility

Level of details surrounding expectations for a relationship

Comfort with difficult emotional issues

Those who prefer structure and predictability are better suited to others who prefer that type of relationship. Sometimes a happy medium can be worked out. One couple re-negotiated their relationship to be a secondary relationship for them both when it was obvious that one party was miserable in the carefully defined structure that the other needed to be happy. They have reached a compromise where the best aspects are able to continue, but where they both know this is not a relationship that will bring about a traditional, permanent pairing.

It would seem more logical, however to seek out those whose expectations for relationships are closer to our own. In viewing where they fall on the Structuralist/Preservationist scale, each party may do better in the initial stages of partner selection, as opposed to having to work through potentially devastating issues later.

I have no problem with the concept of polyamory in general - many of our friends live that lifestyle and seem perfectly happy...

That's cool! Most people that come here are usually at sea about the idea of polyamory, so you're already a few steps ahead.

but it's not something I have any interest in bringing into my own relationship. I don't want him canoodling with someone else...

Jealousy? try and break down why you are jealous. Usually it's because of a fear of being compared and found lacking, and fear of losing your primary as a result.

I don't want to be sitting home alone while he's out on a date (nor am I really interested in engaging in another relationship of my own...

If you read here some, you will find that there are many more options to filling time when your partner is out on a date. Most people spend that time with platonic friends, or doing an activity your primary isn't interested in, or doing personal growth work, working out, reading, spiritual practices, etc etc.

...and I simply don't want a time-share boyfriend. I want to be the one sexually satisfying him.

Again and again here, people come to realize no one person can totally satisfy every need for their partner. My sister, my gf, my other lover, my kids, my colleagues, even the babies I sit for, they all bring me special unique things... no way one person could do all that.

So, intimacy and friendship with a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, that's good. Somehow putting a penis in a vagina (or some combination of genitals and orifices) throws a monkey wrench into the works.

I'm willing to engage in the S&M that he wants, but he keeps holding me at arm's length from it.

... he confessed that he'd had a specific girl in mind for his Secondary all along. For me, it then turned from "I want to experience different people" to "I want to get it on with this girl and still keep my girlfriend". So on top of dealing with his new desires, I have to get past having been misled and essentially lied to.

I'm sure he was trying to protect your feelings. It's so hard for most of us polys to first admit we have feelings for another, to our primary. We carry internalized fears around the taboo, just like monos do.

... He's even sometimes laughed at me when I've tried to dominate him.

Ach, that must have hurt, when you were trying so hard to engage him that way to meet his needs for impact play.

It's almost as if he wants me to remain the "good and pure" girlfriend while he goes to someone else for the "naughty" things he wants.

As others have said, it might be your Domme side is underdeveloped and he didn't get into the right kind of "sub space" with you.

My gf and I are into BDSM. She's been a lifestyle slave in the past, and when we first met there was a hope I could be her Domme/Mommy. After a while we figured out that kind of unequal exchange really didnt work for me for various reasons. I can definitely Top her sexually, but didn't want to be a fulltime Mistress. It wasn't easy working this dynamic out. It took at least a year. Now she's got a Master/bf that she sees once a week for an overnight. But I am still definitely her Primary. I feel quite comfortable and safe with this, most of the time (I do have my weak moments...)

When you did flog your bf, how did YOU feel? Was it thrilling? Did it feel somehow comfortable and right, even though it was your first time? If it did feel *right,* even though your flogging techniques might need practice, I'd say to keep trying. Personally, I am a switch, but just love the energy that flows through me and us, when I spank or flog my gf. And a good flogging, with or without bondage, is very grounding for her. Brings her into the NOW and forces her to be fully present and let go of her many anxieties around her life issues, at least for a couple hours.

Back