I grew up around plural families and do not find it strange at all

riciecup

I am a 47 year old woman who finds I do not think like the others around me. I grew up in a hillbilly family that always had more than 1 male or female around. I have never even seen the jelousy that many woman and men have out here. It is like a foreign concept to me. I would not have any problems with two males or a sister wife. It is just the normal concept of life to me. It has been an eye opening situation living in Chicago these long years. Frankly, The so called straight life is wired to fail.

"Wired to fail." Wow, that rings true to me. I'm finding that as I move through the world with my eyes open, which is how it feels now that I know I'm poly, I am seeing clearly all the myriad ways we are programmed to fail.

All the songs, movies, books, news, and other media inundate us constantly with the ideas that you have no say in who you love, loving more than one person is impossible, and that love must end violently and painfully, especially if there is a new love involved. Blech.

I mean, what movie have you seen, ever, that didn't have that plot?

Yeah, we're programmed to either self-deny or hurt each other. It takes creation of something else entirely, a new paradigm, to succeed with love. I don't necessarily mean everyone should be or is poly, but we are certainly up against astronomical odds if we try love the way we have been taught by the outside world.

Finally someone who gets it!

I never realized just how unconventional my families lifestyle was until I started to watch movies and T.V on the subject. Am I the only one that had a normal upbringing without drama. Two mom's and one dad.

Welcome to the boards!

I was reared primarily by a single mother. The foray into step-father was a Really Bad Thing, seriously bad drama and mojo.

That said, I never really envied any of my friends from two-parent homes, nor those who dealt with split custody situations and having four parents. I only envied those who seemed to have calm, rational parents.

Both of my mothers were sisters. My grandmother and another aunt lived in front of us. I had 16 cousins who ran around us all of the time. I cannot ever remember having all of the drama that I see in today's society. And they call us abnormal!

What is the world coming to today!

Back