Pet Peeves

LoL [uh-oh, does that count??], one of the reasons I got one of those full-qwerty phones was so that I could spell things out properly. I even punctuate my texts. :) But "lol, brb, wtf, rofl, imho" etc WAY pre-date phone-texting, they've been around since BBS and IRC days. Do those bug you too?

I always get hung up on whether to use 's for pluralizing acronyms, like BBS's vs BBSs... BBSs just looks funny to me, even if it's grammatically correct.

rode - road He said "I road my bike today." Really???
accept - except
your - you're
through - threw
are - our
very - vary

"should of" instead of "should have"

LoL [uh-oh, does that count??], one of the reasons I got one of those full-qwerty phones was so that I could spell things out properly. I even punctuate my texts. :) But "lol, brb, wtf, rofl, imho" etc WAY pre-date phone-texting, they've been around since BBS and IRC days. Do those bug you too?

Oh no, I can deal with the "old" ones as I was a chatter for a long time before texting got big and an MMO Gamer where speed and brevity can be essential. But I use those particular words all the time. I think it's more the mixing of chat speak and l33t speak, such as you would see with the LOL Cats. I can haz cheezbrgr. Yes, they are hilarious but sometimes the spelling drives me nutz. ;) Is it really that much harder to hit the "s" key then the "z" key?

going over to someone's house and them not offering you a drink. this drives me INSANE! maybe it's just because my parents brought me up differently.

standing in line for 10 minutes, getting to the counter and still not knowing what you want. you've had 10 minutes. you should have used it

people that mumble orders. I'm going to quote my dad..."Sing out like you've got a pair"

people that say they'll take whatever when they're ordering and then get mad at your choice. you said whatever. this means I get to choose. shut it.

again with the cell phones. it bears repeating. I have a thousand things to get done in a very short period of time. get off your phone and order

people that talk loudly on their phone about their private life. I have NO need to know who you are sleeping with (unless we're sleeping together and this is a new partner) when you slept with them, or how.

People that talk just to hear themselves talk. I value silence.

going out on a date and having your date complain about everything. this is a deal breaker. you will not get a second date

Hand driers instead of paper towels!

'kleenex' dispensers instead of toilet paper rolls in the bathroom

My biggest peeve used to be pay-to-use bathrooms, lol. I think my dad is the one who got them to put a stop to that, lmao! Way back when he jammed the lock on one of gas station rest rooms because he put in a Canadian dime instead of an American one. Canadian coins are lighter so they didn't trip the mechanism in the American machines, lol. I'm sure there were a lot of pissed off people when we left :D.

People who seem to believe that because we HAVE cell phones, we NEED to be in some sort of constant cell phone symbiosis. If I'm doing something, I don't want to text you while I'm doing it. I like to be present for whatever activity or misadventure I'm in at the time. If you're bored, come hang out, don't text me every few minutes.

People who seem to believe that because we HAVE cell phones, we NEED to be in some sort of constant cell phone symbiosis. If I'm doing something, I don't want to text you while I'm doing it. I like to be present for whatever activity or misadventure I'm in at the time. If you're bored, come hang out, don't text me every few minutes.

YES! Thank you! I have friends like this. then they get mad when I just ignore the text. I have a life folks.

Although if they ask a direct question, I still tend to answer it. If it's just BS texts, forget it. That is one thing that bothers me, if I ask a direct question whether in person, online or in text and they don't bother to answer it...ever.

people that mumble orders. I'm going to quote my dad..."Sing out like you've got a pair"

Ugh, my husband does something just as bad. He doesn't exactly mumble but orders really fast... "largetwocreamonesugarlargeblackandamapledip" I'm not sure what he's expecting, but only 1 out of 20 people are able to get his order on the first try. Then he's always frustrated when he has to repeat himself two or three times, so he starts saying it really slowly like the person is a moron. I'm like, wouldn't it be faster to say your order slowly and carefully ONCE than to repeat it 3 times fast? I don't understand how someone can order coffee every single day, go through the same experience each and every time, and still expect different results?

Although if they ask a direct question, I still tend to answer it. If it's just BS texts, forget it. That is one thing that bothers me, if I ask a direct question whether in person, online or in text and they don't bother to answer it...ever.

I hear ya... I often text my questions in case someone is busy and doesn't have time right that second, but just because I sent it as a text doesn't mean it's unimportant.

I hear ya... I often text my questions in case someone is busy and doesn't have time right that second, but just because I sent it as a text doesn't mean it's unimportant.

It also doesn't mean I want it answered in text! I text it because I DESPISE answering machines and don't trust my memory to remember the question later that night or the next day!

Texting absolutely everything! Making plans to meet of coffee at X place at x:00 time is one thing. Texting about your boyfriend cheating on you is NOT text material EVER! That is an in person or verbally over the phone material!

Breaking up via email! Gotta be the worst! The one who was just broken up with isn't likely to 'believe" it because s/he wasn't there in the moment when the 'conversation' happened. It's easy to shuffle those emails off into the ether and say you never got it. Harder to send it to the ether when you're standing there in front of him/her when it's happening.

Texting absolutely everything! Making plans to meet of coffee at X place at x:00 time is one thing. Texting about your boyfriend cheating on you is NOT text material EVER! That is an in person or verbally over the phone material!

Breaking up via email! Gotta be the worst! The one who was just broken up with isn't likely to 'believe" it because s/he wasn't there in the moment when the 'conversation' happened. It's easy to shuffle those emails off into the ether and say you never got it. Harder to send it to the ether when you're standing there in front of him/her when it's happening.

Good Call! I use texting to take care of "business" type stuff when my husband's out of town... letting him know that his credit card bill came or that I booked a carpet cleaner. But real conversations need to be conversations.

I got dumped on IRC once. That was so lame! However, as cold as it is to break up with someone electronically, if you think about it, it makes it a little easier to deal with, in that you can tell yourself that the person is obviously a heartless twat and that you're clearly better off without someone so crass and insensitive :) I don't make it a habit to turn exes into enemies, unless they blindside me with a cruel break-up.

I think it's more the mixing of chat speak and l33t speak, such as you would see with the LOL Cats. I can haz cheezbrgr. Yes, they are hilarious but sometimes the spelling drives me nutz. ;) Is it really that much harder to hit the "s" key then the "z" key?

But the "z" just looks so much CUTER...

My pet peeves - mostly relating to grammar & spelling.

Other than that - not a lot of them - I'm typically a go with the flow type person... at least I think I am ;) :rolleyes:

I was fired via email once. I laughed about it for days... :p

Not putting the lid on the tooth paste.. It gets that hard ball of dried up paste stuck in the tip and thats gross!!:confused:

OR the toothpaste oozes out on to the counter.

Not putting the lid on, and not rolling from the bottom on toothpaste both drive me nuts!

OR the toothpaste oozes out on to the counter.

Not putting the lid on, and not rolling from the bottom on toothpaste both drive me nuts!

I solved the not rolling the toothpaste tube up PDQ. I went to the dollar store and bought a couple of those things you put on the tube & just push it up as the tube gets emptier. No excuses this way, lol.

Trying to chat via IM and NOT getting some undivided attention or even an answer in a timely manner. Them not bothering to let you know they're not going to be at the computer or are signing out......

Dating someone with ADD can suck, lol, when you are the type who likes to sometimes have things planned ahead of time OR being asked to go to a movie & having to remind him to check with his other partners AND arrange a babysitter! *sigh*

Back