Religious survey

My religion is kindness. Nobody can put it in a bottle and sell it. No one owns it. It's free for the taking and giving.

And I'm very unorthodox about it.

Heterodox, too.

Now that I like ;0)
"my religion is kindness"
Simple and to the point.

We are both pagan (the hubby and I). I am a shaman/medicine woman, and he says he is just plain pagan.

Actually, the technical term for me is Asatru. It's a norse word that basically means I follow the old gods. Which old gods?

Primarily Tyr, Kali, and Morrigan/ The Morrigu, although recently my wife's Native American based shamanism has rubbed off on me - Coyote and I get along really well, I've discovered.

I was baptized in the Roman Catholic Church when I was a kid and I attended Mass regularly till I was 19. Then I identified myself as an evangelical, although I didn't attend any church for too long (I attended three churches for a few months each). Last December I was baptized at the LDS church and I was attending regularly till I was getting doubts about it, since I discovered polygamy. I talked with a member of the church, a friend of mine, about it and I intend to stay on the church despite being pro-polygamy.

I was raised United Church of Canada (liberal Christian), but right now I self-describe as "spiritual agnostic" now if pressed (I don't like labelling my spirituality if I can avoid it, since my spirituality is somewhat in flux). I feel a strong need to interact with and celebrate creation and the cosmos in a spiritual way (worship, prayer, etc.), but am not certain if there is a personal deity, afterlife, etc. I am an active UU because there is plenty of room in UU'ism for this kind of belief and I enjoy the ability to explore and question my spirituality. Due to my wife's preferences, I also attend a United Church congregation and participate in a web forum run by that church and I do find that I still have something of an affinity with the more liberal wing of that denomination. I have no idea of how the UCC would view polyamory (probably not positively, although the more liberal churches would likely accept poly families even if they didn't sanction the relationship), but UU'ism actually has an organization for polyamory (which I learned about on these forums).

Mendalla

Last edited:
I currently identify as a Reform Jew, though I feel a strong pull towards Reconstructionist Judaism (I like keeping to more of the old laws, but paired with a very "liberal" lifestyle).

The boyfriend is a Catholic convert. Previously he was an Asatru priest, of all things (Karma, you should know that there is actually an Asatru Church who use that old Norse word to specifically refer to the fact that they worship the traditional Norse gods so if you use it to identify yourself in certain circles, people will be VERY confused when you talk about your affinity with Coyote and Kali and the like).

The boyfriend's wife is a Lutheran and my husband is an atheist. So ... only one former pagan and one atheist and three practicing Judeo-Christians.

I was raised Christian (of the non-denominational, megachurch variety, with a little evangelical thrown in), but I now identify as agnostic.

I am currently practicing Secular Humanistic Judaism. Which is a really fancy way of saying I am an Atheistic Jew. I still go to temple(on the important days). I participate in all the holidays. I just don’t believe in God, yet still associate myself with the Jewish People. It is by far the most liberal Judaism.

It was an interesting ride getting to where I am now since I was born Southern Baptist, and raised Catholic by my step-father. I am just really happy that I found it, and am accepted with the belief system it entails. Prior to finding it, religion had always been a sore spot with me because nothing ever “fit”.

My spice are both some stripe of pagan. I just don't know about myself personally. I guess I fall under that I have christian and agnostic parents so that's my influence. I sort of take the bits I am comfortable with and leave the rest. My personal concept of god isn't so worried about how I practice just that I am consistent and willing.

well i guess i fit the profile (not claming racial profiling). i was baptized catholic but never felt comfortable with it. i am as is my wife pagan. we both have been drawn to poly as a way of life for a long time but have just recently become active. i am glad to see its not just us pagans that have this belief.

Me - Atheist (president of the local Atheist Organization)
Wife - Atheist
4 other poly friends - Atheists....

Pagan

Well my wife was born and raised Catholic while i attended catholic schools in Ireland I was raised as a 75th direct generation druid. Even though our family and our poly household has its foundation based in druidry. We own a farm in Southern New Hampshire and we are about 65% total self containing, we rase our own veggies, our own beef all grass fed, raise our own wool as well as cashmere, all our fensing is solar and our home will be totally off the grid in the next 3 years. We live within our means and we live one with the earth not of the earth.

Ha, I'm sort of afraid to answer this question...

...but, here goes. I am a "practicing" Discordian. Please to not string me up by my ankles. ;)

LOL.............
Well we probably would string you up by your ankels, somewhere else maybe,,,,lol........ j/k

So you believe in the chaos theroy well you have that right, personally that doesnt work for us or our knowledge, wisdom as we know it. The main difference between us and other is we know not that we believe but we actually know.............Where most other forms of belief systems are based on faith ours is based on knowing.....

LOL.............
Well we probably would string you up by your ankels, somewhere else maybe,,,,lol........ j/k

So you believe in the chaos theroy well you have that right, personally that doesnt work for us or our knowledge, wisdom as we know it. The main difference between us and other is we know not that we believe but we actually know.............Where most other forms of belief systems are based on faith ours is based on knowing.....

Chaos theory actually isn't the main focus of Dicordianism, there's quite a bit more to it. As for the rest of what you were saying, what? I'm having a hard time deciphering it...

The main difference between us and other is we know not that we believe but we actually know.............Where most other forms of belief systems are based on faith ours is based on knowing.....

I am in line with this, Keltic. I use the ancient Greek term gnosis. Knowing (gnosis) brings wisdom (sophia).

I didn't realize there were so many pagans around. What does being pagan mean in practical terms these days? I still have visions of people prancing around forests half naked searching for mushrooms, but I sure it's more about a connection with nature.

My daughter says my religion is "cut and paste". I'm interested in new age philosophies but I pretty much "cut and paste" that which resonates for me and leave the rest behind. I must do some pagan research after all I believe "Sage" is quite a pagan name to call oneself.

Back