Polyamory: The Next Sexual Revolution? | Newsweek Culture

A friend of mine shared that with me the other day.

Newsweek is a pretty large circulation, mainstream magazine. I haven't yet read the whole piece, but I strongly suspect that this article will have quite a cultural ripple-effect. Look for a show on Oprah before long!

Well, if it becomes the hip new thing I'm not doing it! I like to be a non-conformist. Guess I'll just have to stay mono. :rolleyes:

I'm just in it to be fashionable and trendy! ;):D:eek:

Haha, thisll be great. Now when we all come out and say were poly, people will say WE'RE the poseurs xD

Maybe it's just me but there was something about the article and especially the video that made poly come across as ... comedy? farcical? I don't know, just not serious. Comedy is great for opening people up to certain things but I didn't get a very "good thing" feeling from this piece.

Probably just me. Although I do think it is good that poly is being recognized in the media, I prefer it to be with respect and credulity.

I dont think we can really expect any respect from the world on this matter. Maybe if things progress well, celebrities start doing it, etc. But, idk really how well people would take something like this. Theyd say "What effect does this have on our children?"

To wich id say, What effect does teaching your children to judge people and shun them for being different. Hey, i could be wrong but i just dont see us being accepted at ALL, let alone with respect

There was one part that bothered me because I fear it is true:

Conservatives are not alone in watching warily. Gay-marriage advocates have become leery of public association with the poly cause—lest it give their enemies ammunition. As Andrew Sullivan, the Atlantic columnist, wrote recently, "I believe that someone's sexual orientation is a deeper issue than the number of people they want to express that orientation with." In other words, polyamory is a choice; homosexuality is not. It's these dynamics that have made polyamory, as longtime poly advocate Anita Wagner puts it, "the political football in the culture war as it relates to same-sex marriage."

I am a big gay marriage advocate. I even write an occasional article for my local newspaper arguing againt prop 8 (California anti-gay marriage proposition) as well as other religiously inspired intolerant treatment of minorities.

One of my points is that gay marriage should have been decided way back when interracial marriage was legalized. I even say that all the arguments that were against interracial marriage are being used against gay marriage. I had several black people write me and say that gay marriage is completely different from interracial marriage but they could not tell me how. They could not also give me a reason why gay marriage should be illegal that is not a reason to make interracial marriage illegal.

So I see blacks gaining their rights and ignoring homosexuals. And I am afraid I will see homosexuals get their rights and ignore polyamorists. Will we continue this trend and ignore the next group that is seeking their rights? I am not sure who that will be? Maybe the furries? Either way, I hope that as a group we stick with the philosophy that activities are ok as long as they have the full knowledge and consent of all involved adults.

Conservatives are not alone in watching warily. Gay-marriage advocates have become leery of public association with the poly cause—lest it give their enemies ammunition. As Andrew Sullivan, the Atlantic columnist, wrote recently, "I believe that someone's sexual orientation is a deeper issue than the number of people they want to express that orientation with." In other words, polyamory is a choice; homosexuality is not. It's these dynamics that have made polyamory, as longtime poly advocate Anita Wagner puts it, "the political football in the culture war as it relates to same-sex marriage."

I am a big gay marriage advocate. I even write an occasional article for my local newspaper arguing againt prop 8 (California anti-gay marriage proposition) as well as other religiously inspired intolerant treatment of minorities.

One of my points is that gay marriage should have been decided way back when interracial marriage was legalized. I even say that all the arguments that were against interracial marriage are being used against gay marriage. I had several black people write me and say that gay marriage is completely different from interracial marriage but they could not tell me how. They could not also give me a reason why gay marriage should be illegal that is not a reason to make interracial marriage illegal.

So I see blacks gaining their rights and ignoring homosexuals. And I am afraid I will see homosexuals get their rights and ignore polyamorists. Will we continue this trend and ignore the next group that is seeking their rights? I am not sure who that will be? Maybe the furries? Either way, I hope that as a group we stick with the philosophy that activities are ok as long as they have the full knowledge and consent of all involved adults.

I cant speak for the whole, i can only speak for myself. I would never let someone alone that needed my help. Blacks are afraid that theyll lose their rights defending gays, gays the same for us. Maybe itll boil down to our majority being afraid too.

All i know is that when it comes down time for us to speak out for our rights, im sure the gays wont let us hanging.

I'm with you on the fact that marriage between two people of the same sex is very much like interracial marriage conflicts - I really hate how people use religious texts to try to justify thier positions, especially when in the lines above and below them have other rules that no longer apply to society today in any way shape or form.

Personally, I think "marriage" shouldn't even be a legal term, as so many people claim is "sacred" and "religious". People, straight or gay, should get a legal civil union in city hall, then get a "marriage" at the church of their choosing, if that's what they so greatly desire. Priests shouldnt be able to perform any legal matters... separation of church and state right?

As for polyamory or polygamy, perhaps what should be done legally should be different - I think having some sort of way to make parenting and hospital visitation easier for groups who are committed to each other should be made available for these sorts of situations, especially now that this is becoming an increasingly common practice. Maybe civil unions or partnerships, sort of like businesses, only meant for families or communal groups.

Lol, as a furry, I dont really thing there's much to do with rights or no rights - since it's totally legal to marry whether or not you are one. (Though if you're talking about bestiality, thats a totally separate issue)

WO

Whoa- the comments are amazing. I am halfway through and I have to stop because it's finals week and I have exams in the a.m.

There are some cool cucumbers on there combating the hatred and fear. To my eyes the polys are exhibiting just how self-aware and intelligent they are against the flow of ignorance- hostile and otherwise.

Awesome, well written, info packed article- I didn't mind the presentation of other groups in relation to poly, or the viewpoints of those against it, because it was fair and balanced, and any bias was clearly attributed to the source.

Except for this- I found the humor indicated that the journalist's gears were starting to turn in a very positive and familiar direction-the only bias I caught was Ms. Bennet's own curiosity and delight at the concept of poly:)

Awesome, well written, info packed article- I didn't mind the presentation of other groups in relation to poly, or the viewpoints of those against it, because it was fair and balanced, and any bias was clearly attributed to the source.

I suspect the article and surrounding coverage will prove to be a watershed moment for the poly community. An even look at poly in a periodical that is large enough to garner attention from other MSM--a solid step to mainstream acceptance of poly.

My husband decided to post the link to this article on his facebook profile. I await the comments.

That'll be interesting. Let us know how the reactions sort out.

That'll be interesting. Let us know how the reactions sort out.

I say we take bets on the reactions. I bet at least one person will say "Omg if god wanted us to have multiple partners he wouldve had more than one son!"

Just because people are that stupid and narrowminded.

To clarify, im not calling you/your husbands friends narrowminded and or stupid. Im just saying xD

Facebook

I was seriously considering posting this on fb last night too. Do I have the hutzpah? We shall see. I am not yet practicing poly, but already a few friends know the husband and I are restructuring our mindsets on this- I just worry about the ones on there I might not want to come out to just yet. :)

I wonder if I could play it off as an interesting article I happened to read- but no, I would give myself away gushing responses in the comments. Quandry.

I do want to spread the word and do my little part to bring that great information to people. (the article as well as the deliciously ludicrous responses that won a point or two for poly:)

I know this might sound a little idealistic coming from a newbie-those of you geniuses that have been living poly for years-but it is quite exciting to be a part of a "sexual revolution." Ever since I started investigating this seriously, I have been laughing in my sleeve at all of the comments people make around you in a day that take no account of non-monogamy. I'm sure I have plenty of times. You just don't get it until you get it.

I think I may start a new thread about the revolution.....

This link was shared in the polyamory group in FB.... is anyone else here a part of that group?

I'm considering joining the group and if anyone asks, just say I support the idea and push off any other questions as I am also not yet practicing physical poly and definitely not "out". But I am willing to be friends with anyone else who has FB. :) ~No I'm not going to derail the thread, just send me a PM if you want to be FB friends.~

Back