Vegetarian recipes please

I love steamed spagetti squash with mushrooms, small amount of spinach and knorrs three cheese sauce with non fat milk

The holidays are coming and I am making supper for our family.
Traditionally I make a nut stuffing that is to die for! Last year I made a yummy turnip recipe that was both savory and sweet... (I can add the recipes if anyone is interested...)

I just wondered if anyone had something they like to cook that would add to our meal?

A turkey replacement would be awesome as my dear Mono will be out of luck this year as there will not be one... something different and special would be nice though

any thoughts?

Oooh, a couple Christmasses ago, I made a vegan, raw cheesecake to die for! (Discovered an allergy to cashews afterwards, but that's besides the point, it was to die for!)

I need to send Nerdist home with my raw cook book when he comes to visit. So many yummy things in there.

Oooh, a couple Christmasses ago, I made a vegan, raw cheesecake to die for! (Discovered an allergy to cashews afterwards, but that's besides the point, it was to die for!)

I need to send Nerdist home with my raw cook book when he comes to visit. So many yummy things in there.

Isn't "raw cook book" kind of an oxymoron?

okay, this isn't a veg recipe persay,,, but it was so good I had to post it. I made it for my dad's birthday today... yum! I used stevia instead of sugar, which sucked. I will make it again with out as I think real sugar and butter is the only way to bake. A real good find though!

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cherry-pound-cake/Detail.aspx

Cherry (cream cheese) Pound Cake

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 1/2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup maraschino cherries, drained and halved
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch tube pan. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Dredge cherries in 1/4 cup flour, then fold into batter. Spread into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

more yum! Made this tonight and it was a big hit! nice to find a recipe that means I can use that massive bag of TVP chunks I got. I used parsnips, turnip and a can of corn instead of potato and carrot. I made it once the way the recipe followed and it was just as good with other things in it. The key is the tomato, Worcestershire sauce, bay, garlic and onion I think.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soupsstewsandchili/r/tvpvegetable.htm

TVP and Vegetable Stew with Potatoes and Carrots

Ingredients:

1 cup TVP
3/4 cup water
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1/3 tsp black pepper
3 large tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
5-6 carrots, chopped
3 potatoes, chopped
2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water
Preparation:

Pour the hot water over the TVP and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
In a large soup or stock pot, cook the onion and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, until onions are soft. Add the TVP, and stir well to combine. Allow to cook for a few more minutes.

Add the vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Allow to simmer for at least 45 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, peas, chopped carrots and potatoes and allow to simmer for another 30 minutes. Whisk in the cornstarch and water mixture, and allow the stew to thicken as it cooks for another five minutes or so.

I call mine Raw UNCook Books :) I love the raw vegan lifestyle! Unfortunately I struggle with it due to preparation time, and the fact that I'm really the only one that eats that way in my household.

I do have lots of recipes if anybody is interested though!!

Oh to be vegan if it weren't for the cheese dilemma. *sigh* .... orange heroin my ex wife calls it... *sigh* that it is.... think I will go get me some :p

We are easing our way into the vegetarian diet. There are lots of recipes out there but I'm looking for tried and true favorites, preferrably tomato free. (I'm allergic. I can eat them but prefer not to have to depend on allergy pills to keep me symptom free.) No other food allergies that we're aware of. OOPS, Yes, there is. Corn sets off my acid reflux :(--just canned & fresh, I can eat processed corn as in corn meal, etc.

We eat a lot of veggie fajitas and burritos... mexican food rocks for vegetarians. At least in our house anyway ;)

I make awesome salads with nuts and beans for protein... I eat them almost every day. I add anything I can find, including quinoa and rice and any other grain I find kicking around in the fridge. I put cheesies on and pretend they are croutons :eek: whaaaat, I love cheesies! Hawkins only though! and those fritos rings too! Gaud! so bad! :rolleyes:

We eat a lot of soup too and add canned beans of lentils.

Peanut butter or any other kind of nut butter on sliced apples is to die for as far as I am concerned...

hmmmm,,, let me see. spaghetti with lentils, nutloaf... which is like meatloaf, but better :D, stir fry with seasme seeds, pizza with various toppings, including veggie pepperoni, and veggie dogs or veggie burgers... in the summer on we have roasted veg in tinfoil packs on the BBQ... or BBQed fruit sometimes with icecream...

And cheese. lots of cheese.... orange heroin in this house I'm afraid. I would love to be vegan again one day, but for now we need our cheese for some reason :p

I am sloo-o-oowly edging my way into a vegetarian diet.

One of my favorite things I throw together: avocado salsa dip.

1/2 an avocado
1 can of Rotel
1 dollop of sour cream
cilantro to taste
lime and lemon juice to taste

Mix it all up and chow down. YUM. This is also pretty perfect as a summer food, alongside something like ceviche, mango salsa, and such. Goes perfect with tuna fish sammiches. <3

DILLED ORZO WITH SUMMER SQUASH

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1750,149182-248200,00.html

1/2 c. orzo (rice-sized pasta)
1 tbsp. butter
1 c. sliced yellow squash
1 c. sliced zucchini
1/4 c. sliced scallions
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Cook orzo and drain. Melt butter in skillet and cook squash, zucchini and scallions until crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper and orzo. Serves 4 to 6.

This is a health conscious recipe.

=====

I haven't tried this. In fact, I've never cooked orzo in any way at all.

It looks so utterly simple and fast, which is nice, sometimes.

If you try it, let me know how it was -- or I'll tell you if I get there first.

(I bet even more dill would be good.)

It being my first time cooking orzo, I figured I'd give 'em a quick rince before putting them in the pot. (Not sure why! I guess because I have a habit of doing that with rice, which isn't always clean, and they are rice-like.) Well, I would discourage this rince step! They tended to goop together and I had to really work them in the pot while they were cooking to break them up from clumps. I think I sorta knew better but.... (No, I don't rince any other pasta prior to cooking, and won't make the mistake again.)
Anyway, I was able to agitate the hell out of the orzo clumps with a wooden spoon and break them up.

I used more orzo than the recipe called for, which seemed way too little. And you can put three times or more chopped dill in, if you like dill. In fact, I pretty much ignored the quantities suggested, and threw in lots more scallions than it called for, and replaced the butter with olive oil.

It was an okay dish. I plan to explore other orzo using dishes and invent some riffs on the theme.

Last edited:
We should perhaps have a little playful game of ... Make up your own recipes?

The only rule in the game would be to try the dish before proposing that we do as well.

???????

hahaha that's the way I cook most of the time... ooo, I like some of that, I'll try putting it in here...

Actually, recently I was given a great idea to use roasted kumara (sweet potato) in a vegetarian thai red/green curry. Amazing combo.

Let's make this an easy start - homemade pizza toppings: onion, roasted capsicum, mushroom, feta. Hint, just as the pizza comes out of the oven, wave the pepper grinder over it and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Works for any pizza.

Certainly sounds yummy!

Back