Kinda stupid question... which book?

vixtresses

Hi all! I've been wanting to get some of the books I've seen recommended here and on other poly sites, but I'm not sure which books are the ones I'm thinking of.

I've heard people recommend The Ethical Slut, so I looked it up on Amazon, and it turns out there are two of them:

The Ethical Slut: a Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities, by Dossie Easton and Catherine A. Liszt, 1998

and

The Ethical Slut: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships & Other Adventures, by Dossie Easton and Janet W. Hardy, 2009

Same thing with Sex at Dawn, two books:

Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships, by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha, 2011

and

Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality, by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha, 2010

Which ones are which? :confused:

Last edited:
I've found both books to be very helpful!

The Ethical Slut books are the first edition (1998) and the 2nd, revised and expanded edition (2009) respectively. Either are fine - if you can afford it, maybe the later version is better but I doubt the material has changed all that much.

As for Sex at Dawn, this is the same book, one seems to be the audiobook version and the other seems to be the upcoming paperback edition. Again, same book, different packaging. Again any version is fine.

I've had good luck getting "Sex at Dawn" at the library. Might be worth a try. (Ethical Slut - not so much!)

Audiobook? Oh, whoops. Wrong link. All fixed now. The titles are different. I guess one is a new version.

Well, good to know about The Ethical Slut. I guess I'll just go with the newer one. Maybe I'll get both of the Sex at Dawn books.

With The Ethical Slut, the 2nd edition would probably be best. I think it contains most, if not all, of what was in the first edition; mostly just editions. I don't know for sure though, I've only read the first edition. Although, I keep meaning to order a copy of the second.

When I read it, I thought "I've spent the past few years figuring most of this out on my own, and there's been a book this whole time?!" However, there were some things in it I hadn't considered, and it was definitely worth reading. I'd recommend it.

Sex at Dawn I haven't read.

Excellent! I bought all three (second edition of The Ethical Slut, the new Sex at Dawn, and Opening Up). :eek: Gung ho newbie, obviously.

There is a good thread on here of "book recommendations" btw... its a sticky I believe. Or you can do a tag search for it.

Yep, that's where I got those titles, I was just a little confused because there seem to be two each of Sex at Dawn and The Ethical Slut.

Yep, that's where I got those titles, I was just a little confused because there seem to be two each of Sex at Dawn and The Ethical Slut.
Ya, sorry, I was kind of talking to everyone reading as much as you as some people might not of noticed that there are other book sources. I'm trying to do my job as a mod rather than just being someone on this forum. If that makes sense.

Ya, sorry, I was kind of talking to everyone reading as much as you as some people might not of noticed that there are other book sources. I'm trying to do my job as a mod rather than just being someone on this forum. If that makes sense.

Oh! Yeah, sorry I guess I was a little defensive (I tend to do that sometimes - snap back with something like "I knew that already!"... it's a bad habit). Doing your job as a mod totally makes sense.

Back