Hello from the Pacific Northwest

mumbles

Hello all,

I came to this board with a problem, and I came away a changed person, with a newfound love of life. A few days here helped me learn how to care about people. Since I plan on sticking around this board, I thought I'd go ahead and do an intro thread. Just to say hey.

If I had to classify my sexuality I'd say it's...uh, 90% straight. I'm not sexually attracted to men, but I do enjoy a lot of femininity, I can't lie about that - I'm a straight figure skater, I guess that says it all.

I don't care terribly about defining the nature of my relationships - I don't find labels to be all that helpful.

I married my High School/college sweetheart. We've had some tough times, especially early on. We've both dealt with severe anger/temper issues. Sometimes well, other times not so well - but those are distant memories.

We've been together for 10 years, and married for 3 and some change of that.

I've always had close relationships with women - when I go down the list of my life's closest friends, there are a few of each, men and women. I think it's my slightly-to-occasionally-very feminine side that draws me to women... and on top of that, I have a very healthy sex drive, so...it can and has occasionally made things complicated.

What brought me here was dilemma with a friend; incredibly long story short, my wife had given me the "go ahead" to have sex with my friend and people here really opened up my eyes to what it means to really care about people. It's odd - my wife was comfortable with the attraction, and I was comfortable enough showing it - but I'd always felt like I had to hide the stronger emotions; the ones that make me want to protect her and keep her safe. And those were the ones I really, really wanted to have out in the open!!!

My wife is now comfortable about how I feel about my friend. She sees me caring passionately, and I think she appreciates it. I think it helps her know how I feel about her, too. What I do need to do a better job of, however, is talking about MY feelings - sharing them with my wife - because I realized that is what gives her security. It's odd, but we think by hiding something hurtful we're doing someone a favor. But we're not. Love is trust; trust is understanding; and understanding conquers just about everything.

I suppose that's enough. :) Get to know me!

I'm a straight figure skater, I guess that says it all.

Serious minority then ;)

20+ years ago, my brother was dating a figure skater (brother/sister pairs team). I hung out with her brother alot, he too was straight. He's an attorney now, but I think he is still involved in the skating community. I did alot of last minute costume repairs, got real good at sewing sequins and other sparkly stuff onto lycra.

Hehe... Yea, funny story, I got into it because of a girlfriend. I actually came from an aggressive inline background, and well...I fell in love with it and they converted me...she quit when we broke up. *shrug*

My coach is like a surrogate father in a lot of ways. He's passing on his wisdom to me, bit by bit, so I can take over someday.

I love it...it's the perfect outlet for my creative/feminine side, while still being...well, macho, I guess! I love tangos, especially - they are so powerful, and delicate at the same time...very masculine.

That being said...this time around (been a while since I've been back into the sport) I'm going to have the last word on my costuming... (I wish there were a better term than costume...it's an athletic sport, not a pageant...)

Ahhh, wheels - I never could figure out how to make 4 wheels do the same things as steel blades on ice. The dancing definitely needs the more "macho" style to have it look right. Totally agree it is definitely an athletic sport. GOOD LUCK!

Quads are a common misconception....they handle much more like ice skates than inlines. It's because of the rotation on the axles - you can carve clean edges with a good quad skate - inlines won't carve, it's physically impossible. (okay, with a few technical exceptions.)

Back