Heinlien? polyamorous author.

Baernin

I'm not certain if I have the spelling correct or not, but I was wondering if anyone here has read his work. He wrote many works which feature polyamorous charactors, such as "Time Enough For Love", "Friday", "Stranger ina Strange Land" and "I Will Fear No Evil", among many others. When I first read his work I didn't really think it would work in real life, but as I'd never been a relationship at the time I reserved judgement. I was of course, a very wise fifteen year old;);) I was wondering again, if anyone else had read his work and what they thought. I was also curious if anyone knows if he had real world experience with what he was talking about. Mainly because I'm very curious about situations where the realtionships work. It's easy to find stories about where it hasn't after all.:) Anyway, looking forward to what anyone has to say.

For a while I was actively editing the Polyamory article on Wikipedia. I split off the list of famous polyamorous people into a new article and Hienlein was included in the list before I got there. Another editor subsequently came and decimated the list citing Wikipedia's rules about requiring sources. Heinlein and a whole bunch of other people were removed at this point. None of the editors of the articles have been able to find any sources to say the Heinlein was polyamorous in actuality so he has never been added back to the list.

He is clearly a foundation block upon which the modern polyamory movement are built and is cited by many of the multi-decade polyamorists.

Check out "Grumbles From the Grave." I believe the book covers his views on polyamory, which he did advocate. I'll have to see if I still have my copy.

I love Heinlein, and I'm pretty sure his books had some influence on me and my own ideas about love and what is possible. I have used Stranger In a Strange Land examples not a few times when trying to explain poly to people. That and my food analogies.

3 points for Legion he spelt Roberts Name Right.

That's Heinlein.

Met Robert in Santa Cruz at a book signing.

He lived at Bonny Dune not far from us.

A man after my own heart, the father of Poly.

Just Me,
Tim

"Grumbles from the Grave"? I'll have to look it up. Thanks for all the input people. I have to admit, he was pretty influential to me as well. and give me some credit too pretty pretty please? I knew at least that I hadn't spelled it correctly. That's got be worth something, maybe one point instead of three. ;)

Heinlein was my favorite author growing up. I've read nearly everything he's written. He had very divergent and different viewpoints on family life in general.

I'm giving you 4 points.

Just because you're cute. And you said " Grok ".

:rolleyes:

Just Me,
Tim

I have to admit I cheated a bit, using someone's earlier post. :p

That's Heinlein.

Met Robert in Santa Cruz at a book signing.

He lived at Bonny Dune not far from us.

A man after my own heart, the father of Poly.

Just Me,
Tim

So, Tim, what can you tell us about him?

What were your impressions? Did he seem like a good guy, a poopy head, what? I know a book signing isn't the most conducive environment for getting to now someone, but I'd be interested to know what you think.

Also, thanks for the bonus points ;) I embrace them and let them go. grok

As an avid reader, I positively DEVOUR Heinlein. Poly aside, he just spins a damn good yarn. Re-read his books often to fully grok them - he's one of those "gain a littel more from it each time you read it" authors. Herbert, Card, Stephenson - even Clancy. All my favorites are like that.

PS - "grok" is in the dictionary. I actually used it in a Scrabble tourney once and got challenged - and won, lol. Laughed my butt off the first time I found it in the abridged.

Yes, we are Heinlein fans as well. We've read almost everything of his, and read them together.

I actually had a pin that said, "I grok Spock".

Back