To all unicorn hunters

We're getting really off-topic, but if anyone has an asthma-friendly workout (by which I mean something that would start low impact, so I don't get asthma attacks, and works me up to the point where I can do such things as running), please feel free to share.
I've been walking a lot and doing some WiiFit, but it's rather boring and I'd love to get a broader range of exercise so I could have more variation. The other day I went down the stairs, accross the first floor, up the stairs, across the third floor, down again and so on for thirty minutes, it was a nice workout but definitely repetitive, I can't see myself doing that every day :p

We're getting really off-topic, but if anyone has an asthma-friendly workout (by which I mean something that would start low impact, so I don't get asthma attacks, and works me up to the point where I can do such things as running), please feel free to share.
I've been walking a lot and doing some WiiFit, but it's rather boring and I'd love to get a broader range of exercise so I could have more variation. The other day I went down the stairs, accross the first floor, up the stairs, across the third floor, down again and so on for thirty minutes, it was a nice workout but definitely repetitive, I can't see myself doing that every day :p
Get into martial arts. ;) It will start off slow and work up over the course of years. ;)

Ok, it all starts with a 1 mile run. The goal is to complete it within 6 minutes. Move imeditaly on to doing 40 push ups within 2 minutes. Then, move on to 40 sit ups within 2 minutes. Then 8 pull ups. No time frame set, but you may NOT let go of the bar or rest until all 8 are completed. Then, 8 laps in an olympic sized pool. Then 20 burpees. If you need to know what a burpee is, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dq_NCzj8M

Then 40 lunges.

Then 100 sprawls. Here is what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdxqN6pTVgQ

Repeat 3 times per day.

Thats just week 1-3. Then I change it up, and it becomes more interactive.

If you are still able to walk after this work out, please let me know, and I'll give the rest of it to you.

I might be able to work up to this. I can't do pull ups and I doubt I can run a mile in 6 minutes, otherwise it doesn't sound too bad. (except for the 3 times a day...how the heck do you find the time?)

Get into martial arts. ;) It will start off slow and work up over the course of years. ;)

That's a great idea! I used to be into Judo in high school, and I really enjoyed it. I'll look into martial arts in general and see which I like most. Thanks!

I might be able to work up to this. I can't do pull ups and I doubt I can run a mile in 6 minutes, otherwise it doesn't sound too bad. (except for the 3 times a day...how the heck do you find the time?)

Adjust the bar so you are essentially lying down. Instead of havin it over your head. Activates more of you lat's and is easier as you are lifting less of your dead weight...there is a good chin up bar that screws into the door frame which can be moved as you get stronger :)

chin_up_bar.jpg

That kind, for the record. You will find it very usable and very stable. I use one and I am a bigun...(cheap too...)

Last edited:
If I put the bar in the doorway so that I can use it practically lying down how do I get in and out of the room? :D

I'm going to do some push ups, sit ups, burpees and lunges...I've been insipred!

a picture is worth a thousand words...or in this case 2 LOL

That's a great idea! I used to be into Judo in high school, and I really enjoyed it. I'll look into martial arts in general and see which I like most. Thanks!
Personally, I prefer Brazilian Ju Jitsu more recently. It is HIGHLY efferctive, AND, you get to lay on the ground. :D

I'm going to do some push ups, sit ups, burpees and lunges...I've been insipred!
You're welcome! Glad I could help!

I have found the most effective way to work up to that workout, is through tiering. Ie, when doing push ups, start with 1, then get up, then back down again right away and do 2. Back up standing, then back down and do 3. Back standing, and then back down and do 4 more. Go up as far as 10. By the time you get to 10, you will have done around 55 or a few more just going UP the tier to get to ten. My actual math is a bit off this morning. :p Then, you have to go back DOWN the tier. ;)

Care to share your workout regime? I could stand to get into better shape...I've been slacking recently and my pants are tight :(

I was just reading posts...well, 'cause I am bored...but, I've tried to get back into exercising, and I really need to lose (a lot) of weight. Sofar I've lost about...hum-40 pounds?

Don't know if this will help anyone, but here's what I do....

I started out by walking, then when that got boring, biking (beyond what I do for commuting). Recently I added swimming to the mix, and when I manage to drop..um, perhaps another 10 pounds?- (I am about 175 pounds at present and I'm 5'5") I will try to add running.

I usually bike about an average of about-hum-20 minutes a day, days I don't work it could vary from 10 minutes to 40 minutes. When I swim, I swim laps for an average of an hour...I try for about 1 hour, 20 minutes (I go by time, not laps)...I do this an average of 2-3 times a week. I walk about 20 minutes a day, sometimes more, sometimes less...depends on how busy I might be (or how lazy;0).

I don't have any set regime, I just try to do what I can in the time I have free....

Hope that helps...

Yeah, I've always thought, if hippos can have been named "river horses", an animal described as "like a horse with a horn" is likely to have been a rhino.

Back