Poly in hotels?

Sparkler

Hi there polyfolk. I'm looking for advice on finding poly-friendly hotel accommodations.
Long story short: my husband and I (14 years in Nov!) are gently exploring our boundaries with an old and dear friend. I think we would all like to try all sleeping together in a king-size bed on a weekend getaway, for cuddling and other non-sexual affection for the moment. We would love to find a big hot tub as well. But it seems many, many hotels have occupancy limits in the king rooms, especially nice B&Bs or romantic suites with big hydro tubs. We're in southern Wisconsin. Any advice?

well any 4 star will have options for a king sized bed, and most with pullouts. Some 3 stars do as well (sheraton etc)

ummm...just don't mention the 3rd person ;) :p...honestly its unlikely anyone will check and it usually only gets caught for big parties.

Sorry not sure about b&b's. I am a hotel geek. I work in the industry so I tend to stick to big brand types :)

My significant others and I never had an issue checking in. We just asked for a room with a king bed. A few eyebrows raised, but we weren't charged extra or questioned about three people in the room.

ETA: If you ever choose to vacation in Savannah, GA, I highly reccomend the Mulberry. http://www.savannahhotel.com/ (And if you want to stick to "branded" hotels, they are affiliated with Holiday Inn, so you can use/collect rewards there.)

Last edited:
Been in the industry for about 20 years, most hotels pride themselves on discretion, a- to not be sued, b- cause its all about the money. As for head count in a room, it comes down to fire code, king with a pull out should be fine for 3, more than 3 youll need a room with 2 beds, usually up to 5. As the previous poster stated, sticking with the brands migjt be your best bet.

ummm...just don't mention the 3rd person ;) :p...honestly its unlikely anyone will check and it usually only gets caught for big parties.

Ariakas is right, just don't mention the 3rd person. Most places really don't care unless you grossly exceed room occupancy limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been in the industry for about 20 years, most hotels pride themselves on discretion, a- to not be sued, b- cause its all about the money. As for head count in a room, it comes down to fire code, king with a pull out should be fine for 3, more than 3 youll need a room with 2 beds, usually up to 5. As the previous poster stated, sticking with the brands migjt be your best bet.

It is headcount and another way to gouge the guest. They can charge extra for adult heads ;) Same with rule #2 when staying in a hotel, NEVER use the phones. It is pure gravy money for them. Usually 200 to 300% markup on each call.

but I digress :)

The only reason it would come up is if you need three keycards.

And if you're there together...you won't be going in and out separately, needing multiple keycards.

(and if you do need third, I suppose you could just let the front desk know that you lost the card at dinner and need another. )

When we travel, we tend to stay at Candlewood Suites which is part of the InterContinental Hotels Group along with Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. We started using this specific hotel because they are "extended stay" rooms, kitchenette with fridge, and they also have a recliner in each room that my mom can sleep in (she can't sleep horizontally). But now with the kids, we like the Candlewoods because you can get a One Bedroom Suite (check to see if that specific hotel has the King Suite) so that Cajun and I can have some privacy while Mom & little one sleeps in the other room. ;)

Ok, I'm done plugging the hotel. Now time to make a reservation for next weekend!

When we travel, we tend to stay at Candlewood Suites which is part of the InterContinental Hotels Group along with Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. We started using this specific hotel because they are "extended stay" rooms, kitchenette with fridge, and they also have a recliner in each room that my mom can sleep in (she can't sleep horizontally). But now with the kids, we like the Candlewoods because you can get a One Bedroom Suite (check to see if that specific hotel has the King Suite) so that Cajun and I can have some privacy while Mom & little one sleeps in the other room. ;)

Ok, I'm done plugging the hotel. Now time to make a reservation for next weekend!
Here is another vote for Candlewood suites. We had a WONDERFUL tryste at a candlewood in St. Petersburg, Fl a while back with our primaries. We have since broken up with them. :( But would LOVE to find another cpl to go there with again....;)

Oh, and we never mentioned anything about all of us being there "together".....but trust me, management knew because we were given the bill under the door while we were all being somewhat....."noisy". LOL The next morning, the manager asked the four of us if we enjoyed our stay. We looked around and said "Yep....It was perfect". He winked and said "Great. If you ever need a room in the area again, let us know." So......yeah.

Last edited:
Here is another vote for Candlewood suites. We had a WONDERFUL tryste at a candlewood in St. Petersburg, Fl a while back with our primaries. We have since broken up with them. :( But would LOVE to find another cpl to go there with again....;)

Oh, and we never mentioned anything about all of us being there "together".....but trust me, management knew because we were given the bill under the door while we were all being somewhat....."noisy". LOL The next morning, the manager asked the four of us if we enjoyed our stay. We looked around and said "Yep....It was perfect". He winked and said "Great. If you ever need a room in the area again, let us know." So......yeah.

I love hearing good things about my local places. There are a lot of good rates in Pinellas County (St. Petersburg, Largo, Tarpon Springs, Pinellas Park, Palm Harbor, Clearwater, etc.) Many tourists have been scared off by the oil spill. BTW, it has not landed on our beautiful beaches... yet.

I know. No oil on our beaches! We live in Tampa.

"Oh, could we have 27 keys for that single?"

My experiences have been similar; barring really outrageous/ludicrous room packing, as long as you don't steal the towels and furniture, are reasonably discreet and don't disturb the other guests (too much), the hotels really don't care.

A little update: We've made a reservation at Sybaris, which is a chain of pool suite hotels in the Chicagoland area. Their website says couples only, but I wrote to them about it, and they were great about it, and gave me a special manager to call for a reservation for three. She was SUPER nice, and even apologized for only being able to take down birthday info for two people. She also went so far as to say that if we didn't all want to come into the office to sign the liability wavers that one of us could bring them back to the car for the others, and that the staff would be notified ahead of time. Very discreet and understanding.
I will let you know how we like our stay. :)

Those aren't expensive!
I checked out the website and sent for a brochure!

Please do come back and give us an update on how it goes!

I'd love to go there with Maca or GG. I'd LOVE to go there with Maca and E too.
Looks beautiful!

We’re back! Sybaris was mostly great. The staff was totally professional and courteous to us, and when we reached our suite, we found they had sprinkled the bed with rose petals. This is generally an extra charge, so it was a really nice gesture that made us feel welcome. They ended up being a fun plaything, as well.
We were in a “Majestic Pool Suite.” The pool was nice, and featured color-changing lights which we thought would be cheesy but actually really enjoyed. The “waterfall” was a bit silly and also a bit cold. It reminded us of those funny oil lamp cage things with the oil that runs down fishing line to look like rain. The hot tub in this room is 5x7: it was big enough for three and comfy, but probably wouldn’t fit four very comfortably. The hot tubs in some other rooms are 4X6 and different shapes, so consider what you need on that score. The best part was the steam room. Our friend produced an oil-salt-sugar scrub, which led to the most brain-meltingly smokin’ hot make-out I have ever had the pleasure of participating in. Holy cow. I highly recommend this activity.
The rooms are all separate little cabins, so they are totally private. Our room was also mirrored on three sides, and above the bed, which made it feel a lot bigger. There’s a sex swing/sling in the closet that hooks up above the bed. It was one of the most unattractive, hilarious things I’ve ever seen, but if my husband and I had been there alone we would have tried it anyway. We’ve been married long enough to accept hilarity as part of sex.
The room was a little dated feeling, with oak trim on everything and cheesy palm tree wallpaper around the pool, but we mostly had the lights dim and weren’t looking at the décor much. It did not feel “old.” Everything was clean and functional, and the linens and carpets and things seemed new.
The biggest misstep was the bed. It was lumpy and uncomfortable, the pillows were only available in the huge, puffy, firm variety, and the sheets were some scratchy synthetic blend. We didn’t sleep well. If we go back (which we are totally game for, but we are moving across the country shortly), we would bring our own sheets and pillows, as hilarious as that seems, just to be more comfy. They really should improve this aspect of the hotel, as it really detracts from the luxurious feeling.
We found a coupon online for $75 off our stay. They did not charge us extra for a third. Apparently they send out discounts by email and on your birthday, etc, so sign up online ahead of time to score a discount if you are thinking of going.
Overall, definitely recommended.

Wow thanks for the review. As a part time traveller for work and a hospitality guy I love seeing reviews

Bummer about the beds. One of the most expensive items to buy in a room and not replaced very often. Always sucks when they suck but I know why hotels do it.

Back