Came out to SO's family - Rejection

BlazenBurn

We came out to Darlings family and our friends last week. They now know that he and his wife are in a platonic marriage and we are engaged. The entire day was wonderful. They were so sweet and loving towards my children and I. We were really looking forward to spending Christmas with them.

Fast forward and I find out that Darling's sisters are really not happy. They threatened to make an issue of it if we come to the family dinner. Basically, we are not welcome. Darling has now asked us to stay home. I rationally understand the request but I am crushed because I really felt accepted but I guess it was an act.

I am also sad because my girls and I will be essentially alone on Christmas for the first time (I am divorcing their father right now). It's a bit overwhelming.

I completely lost it today and basically went temporarily insane, telling Darling that I would give him his engagement ring back so that he could fix the situation with his family. Thank God he is rational when I am not.

Any help in feeling rejected?

Families have been overreacting to partnerships that don't meet their expectations since the dawn of time. A partner from another tribe, a partner of another race, a partner of another religion, a partner of the same sex. This is just one more variation on the age-old tradition. In the majority of cases, as far as I can tell, the families come around just fine in time. And, hey, if they don't -- well, we all have relatives we don't get along with, you just might be gaining a couple more, unfortunately. But it by no means needs to be the end of things. It's going to be ok.

I don't think it's uncommon for people to accept unexpected news mostly gracefully, then freak out about it when they have more time to really think about it and turn it over in their minds. I also think that if you just keep on as you were, there is a good chance they will sort through the garbage in their head and get back to the accepting place they seemed to be in originally.

Maybe they worry that Darling's wife is actually miserable but afraid to be honest about it in front of you (not clear if she was there also)? I've seen that reaction from a lot of 3 party groups telling their families they are poly - they cant get their heads around it so its easier for them to think that somebody is being coerced into something. Hopefully if they don't decide to stay home too, they make some efforts to advocate for the relationship dynamic they are choosing to have while with the family.

I am sorry that they are going without you if that bothers you. If it is, maybe you can ask that you all do something special with your daughters later to balance it out since you will be lonely? Maybe you could even start a new tradition together, I think that might give me something to look forward to and enjoy. I'd opt for a post Christmas pub crawl since I dont have kids, but I'm sure there's something better suited for you guys ;)

Darling's wife was there and is 100% supportive of our relationship. She was thrilled when I showed her the ring. I think this is very overwhelming to his family. We will probably have to start our own Holiday traditions if his extended family is not comfortable. He and I both agree that the chidren are OUR children. He is their stepfather and it is important that he be included in our Christmas celebration. I am just sad that my children are being left out. They are very aware of our relationship and are very accepting. They love him very much. I will have to redefine holidays for us now. I need to work on reframing the situation.

I guess that I am dealing with the holiday blues right now. The thought of waking up on Christmas morning without Darling there is hard.

When Maca and I married, his mother expected he and his son to continue going to her place for Christmas. But my daughter and I weren't welcome (no poly at that time).
We set our foot down that Christmas was a time for OUR family to be together, extended family was welcome to have time with us before or after.

We have never had cause to regret that choice in 15 years. Now we are poly-same rules apply. We ALL are together here for Christmas.

Furthermore-we don't abide by segregation or favoritism. We are a 'meal' and none of us is available ala carte.

Hug. Sorry it caused you to go into a tailspin a bit with extended relatives. BREATHE. BREATHE. BREATHE.

At our house, we keep extended relatives probs at the front door. Put your own oxygen mask on first in your room, then that of the immediate family living in your house, and THEN we can talk about extended relatives and friends living outside of your house somewhere ELSE.

Sometimes "Family of Origin" has a hard time accepting that the NEW "immediate family" has changed for each player. It is NOT the Family of Origin plus some extra people joining called spouses and kids. That SOUNDS all cool and Brady Bunch, but that not the animal here.

The Family of Origin ENDED. New configuration now. Same players, new line up. New players too. It is now SEVERAL new clusters of "immediate family" coming together as the "Extended Multi-family Unit."

Your new immediate family is now a husband, wife, you. (And the kids and pets of course). But those are the adults. Don't throw in the towel on YOUR immediate family just because there's poopy extended relatives. We all have those.

We did have to start changing new family traditions when kid was born. We were no longer the "young adult couple who could be flexible for all" -- we had a new limit. A newborn's needs! People had to DEAL when we'd turn things down because NO... we would not drag the baby about like that!

And the holiday traditions will change again down the line -- my kid will grow up and leave home and maybe marry and have in laws to balance. What is life but change? Some people just ride it better than others.

Hang in there.
Galagirl

Last edited:
Is there any chance that Darling and his wife would be willing to make a stand? I realize it's a lot to ask and may sound needy, but isn't that the kind of thing you do for someone you're planning to marry?

It's possible that him telling his parents that he's choosing to spend Christmas with "his family" (referring to you and the kids included) will snap some sense into them. Some people are used to getting their way, and can be big babies when they have to accommodate the needs of others. They're grown-ups and they'll probably get over it.

But either way, you won't be "alone" on Christmas. You'll have your kids, and your kids will have you. That's a lot more than some people have...

Also, "Christmas" is just one day but "The Holidays" last for quite some time. Welcome to Modern Living. Dates are irrelevant. Just make sure to plan some special time for your immediate family, and focus on the positive.

Darling and his wife are still legally married but no longer have an intimate relationship. They live in separate houses but are still finacially linked and co-parent. We see our engagement as a symbol of our committment to one another. If he decides that he wants to proceed with a divorce then we will discuss the next step. He is also committed to his other GF and considers himself married to her. So, I guess it's all in how we define our relationships.

Like others have said, calendar dates are irrelevant. Plan an alternate day for you guys to celebrate as a family (big dinner and all) as if it was Christmas Day. I always liked the day before and the kids sure aren't going to complain that they get to open their gifts early. Then just do one special gift for the kids on Christmas Day and make it a fun lazy day with just you and your babies. Make their favorite breakfast, spend all day in your pjs, do finger foods for dinner, etc. Don't think of it as a day to be alone, think of it as a day to spoil your kids and all your attention is on just them.

I'd be more worried about the fact that he's willing to ditch you on Christmas to spend the day with his parents and siblings.

I happened to read some great advice on fetlife today about this subject. The person said

"Discuss holiday traditions at least 3 months before the holiday. Just fondly reminisce and ask your partner/s to do the same.
Now you'll all have a good idea of what might conflict before the emotion laden dates arrives"

I know it's a little late for this holiday, but I think it's a great for many things (going to a party for the first time when one of you will have two partners and you aren't sure how to act, addressing PDAs, and many other things that if you wait til last minute to talk about, can easily lead to emotional responses or confusion about what's going on).

What is a platonic marriage and how are you going to marry him if he's already married?

The simplest explanation I can think of is two people who are married and committed to their life together, but their relationship is more of a friendship than a romance. Typically, there is no sexual component or romantic feelings, but there is still a form of love.

Marriage doesn't always have to mean legal marriage. You could have a ceremony and commit to one another, without getting a license and all that. Technically (legally) it's not "marriage" but really, that's just a legal contract that's pretty much irrelevant these days, divorce rates being what they are.

That's exactly what their relationship is like. If Darling could legally marry Chatty and I, then he would. Mostly for the contractual issues, like health insurance and inheritance rights.

Your answers raise more questions.

How many women has Darling been married to legally, ie, by the rest of the world's definition? How many women has Darling been 'married' to by his own definition? Does he make a habit of bringing new women, or new women with children, to family holidays every second or third year, or are you and Chatty and his current wife the only ones, ever? As far as I understand, you've been seeing him less than a year, right?

Is he expecting his family to immediately embrace you as a daughter-in-law and your children as grandchlidren? Is he (or you) expecting them to shower your children with gifts at Christmas? Have you ever met any of his family before now, and in what situations?

Darling has been legally married once, to his current wife. This is the first time he has told his extended family about any relationship besides his legal marriage. This is the first time he has ever brought anyone to meet his extended family as a partner. He has not told them about Chatty and based upon their reaction has decided that will not happen for quite awhile.

I am not a stranger to his family. They have known me since I was a teen. I suppose Darling expected that they would be more accepting than they are. He is understanding now that he rushed it and should have begun talking to them earlier.

I don't think it is realistic to believe that they will embrace me or my children as part of the family yet. They need more time to absorb everything. I certainly don't expect them to shower my kids with gifts. We were just hoping that my kids and I could be included in their celebration.

Back