How long between meeting & dating....

LovingRadiance

Maca and I were having an intriguing conversation about dating/breakups etc.

We're wondering-for all of you who are bored.

How long between meeting someone, establishing a friendship and then establishing a "more than just friends" relationship with a partner?

How long did the "more than just friends" relationship last?

We are wondering because its my opinion that establishing a long term friendship first makes for a higher probability that the "more than friends" relationship will last...

It's his opinion that when people are interested in finding someone for a "more than friends" relationship-they aren't interested in building a "just friends" relationship for extended period of time first.

Your question reminds me of one I answered on OKCupid. Here it is:

Which of the following relationship timelines would you most prefer?
  1. Attraction > lovers > love > friends
  2. Friends > love > attraction > lovers
  3. Attraction > friends > love > lovers
  4. Attraction > friends > lovers > love
My usual modus operandi with romantic partners is #1. Very rarely am I "friends first" with someone. If that happens, it usually never goes beyond friendship. But I have remained good friends with men who started as lovers.

Last edited:
In both of my current LDRs, we had sex on the first or 2nd date. I just *knew* it felt right with those 2 special people. And I've been with both of them for about 2 years now.

My gf was the first person to get in my pants in 33 years, besides my ex. I was eager and curious and in no mood to beat around the bush. Er, actually I was eager to beat around the bush...:D

I'm sure it could happen the other way around, tho. We all have different styles and levels of comfort around intimacy. There's no right or wrong way.

Excluding my most recent meteor relationship, all of mine had started at a bar...I wasn't looking for anything beyond that night.

My first 7 year relationship, I met her...I think...at a house party. ummm...I was 17 and she was coming after me badly. She was 23. I was hooking up with another girl at the time. It was fun times, but I ended up with the second girl. 7 years later, it ended. I wasn't looking for anything but sex. Ironically it didn't really work out for me haha

My second "relationship" I picked her up at a party too. I was not looking for a relationship. Was a fireball of a relationship. She changed me in many ways. In fact, I am who I am today, because she catalyzed me.

Pengrah - picked her up in a bar. Planned on a short term fling. 10 years later. ;)

I am not in a place to talk about sourgirl...not yet...:(...She was the only one I had a friendship with first...

Ari

Don't you mean LTRs? They're long-term, not long-distance, right?

Oh yes, I meant LTRs. Got my acronyms messed up. Altho they both do live about 20 miles away from me, in different directions. So, not as close by as I would like.

I have to agree with Maca, interesting answers.

I'm curious-have any of you read about the chemistry that goes on in your brain when you meet a new "potential"?

I ask-because with that information in my head, which I've known for sometime,
there is no way I could consider someone as a potential long term relationship until I'd known them for at least a year.

Mind you-I also had my first child at 16. When things ended with her dad, my whole attitude changed, because each "potential" was also a "potential risk" to my daughter.....

So-I'm just curious about how other people see things. :)

I knew who Maca was for 10 years. I knew his father VERY well. I still think our "truly getting to know each other to in a committed relationship" went WAY WAY WAY too fast.

I was friends with GG for 2 years, had sex once.
Non-sexual friends for another 5+ years before we become lovers.... .

I've now known Maca for 22 years, together for almost 13.
Known GG for almost 18 years.... "together" for 6 or so...

There's a few combinations missing:D

As I watch the singles around me opperate, this is what I personally see

Under 25:
Friends > Attraction > Love > Lovers
Friends > Attraction > Lovers > Love
Attraction > Friends > Lovers > Love

Over 30:
Attraction > Lovers > Friends > Love
Attraction > Lovers > Love > Friends

With my husband, I fell under the Friends> Attraction > Love > Lovers category. Today, would probably be a much different story.

Last edited:
It's so random for me. PN was a gradual thing, with an instant attraction for more, Mono was instant for lover/friendship, Derby was friendship first and then it has blossomed. When I think back it has been a matter of who and circumstance. I can't think of anyone that I would not consider a friend now, and they me. It didn't matter how it started, it ended up the same... friends. I have warm fussy feelings about all of them and I think they do about me. I think some are confused and don't get what the heck I am doing now, but they still love and care about me and cherish our memories like old friends do.

Me to RP,
they are all friends now.

I am always saying to people, that I am a "once you're in, you're in for life" kind of person.

I was "just friends" with my first husband initially, and our marriage lasted for 15 years. (It probably wouldn't have lasted this long if we hadn't had children together.) I was instantaneously attracted to my second husband, romantically, and while that relationship/marriage didn't last quite as long as the first, I was far more in love with my second than I ever was with my first. Starting out as "just friends" always fell a bit short of the spark I always hoped for. While I never regretted my first marriage, I did feel like I "cheated" myself a bit....like I was "settling". I considered each of my husbands to be my "best friend" when I was married to them.

How long between meeting someone, establishing a friendship and then establishing a "more than just friends" relationship with a partner?

How long did the "more than just friends" relationship last?

We are wondering because its my opinion that establishing a long term friendship first makes for a higher probability that the "more than friends" relationship will last...

It's his opinion that when people are interested in finding someone for a "more than friends" relationship-they aren't interested in building a "just friends" relationship for extended period of time first.

Hi LR,

Interesting question........but I think it's a 'loaded' question.

First, I think there's inherent bias in the question to start with. Unless of course it's framed around an unspoken desire to BUILD a poly family/tribe. 'Love by design' if you will.
I'm really not sure how many people want to live like that (percentage-wise) vs just opening up and seeing what the universe has to offer them.

Second, I think there's an additional 'load' here that IMPLIES that a 'long term' relationship (another undefined term) has some higher intrinsic value than one that might fall on the other side of the line. (short?)

For myself at least and for K (and others in our network), we don't subscribe to, or live by,that philosophy.

For us, the 'value' or importance in a relationship is not measured by it's duration but by what it brings to us - or we bring to it, by our participation in it. The impact it has on our or other's lives that tend to last forever ! Lesson we learn, love we feel, things that go into the makeup of who we are as people.

Somehow, I couldn't even imagine trying to live & navigate 'life by design'. Some general direction at times - sure. But that direction needs to be flexible. If not we risk missing out on things that could be important to everyone because at a given moment they didn't fit the 'mold'.

Make sense ?

GS

For me it usually went like one of these.

Attraction - lovers - love - friends (me and c )
Friends - attraction - love - lovers ( most of the time)
Attraction - friends - love - lovers ( Joyce)

And one time in my youth
Friends - lovers - friends - lovers - friends ect.

But I guess it's different for everybody.

I never followed these paths on purpose.
More or less just happened that way.

I have found (in my limited experience) that my preference is to be friends first, so I can feel comfortable around them and garner up trust. I met O in Nov of 2009, then we became friends in January 2010 and then we became more than friends in June. I've gone on a few dates since then but I just don't like starting out as dating. It feels so awkward and uncertain to me. I think that he's more of an instant person in terms of going into the lovers part first but he was afraid of scaring me off so he took it slow, I think. I find it interesting how there are many different approaches and they are all valid. Growing up, I was told that there was only one way to do things. It's fascinating to see how everyone is different.

Hi LR,

Interesting question........but I think it's a 'loaded' question.

GS

I understand.

But-it's not my intention.

See, I've had "fuck buddies", one night stands, people who were lovers strictly for hte purpose of being lovers etc. That's all cool.

My question only pertains to those who were INTENDING to find a long term, permanent relationship.

See, the quandry is that Maca and I see it differently and he thinks I may just be totally unique (maybe so).

For me personally-if a person is a fuck buddy-they are a fuck buddy. PERIOD.

Where as, if I find someone attractive and the sparks fly-they could go EITHER WAY-if I choose them to be a fuck-buddy, they will NEVER be a part of the family.

On the other hand, if they seem to be potentially a good fit for the family, I will take hte time to build a friendship before taking them as a lover.

Maca says that most people who are looking for long term relaionships will never consider waiting to get to know each other like that if they can't have sex. Which may be true (lucky me I haven't had that problem).

But, for me, I know perfectly well that while I (and they) are in NRE, there is a chemical nightmare going on in our heads that has nothing at all to do with whether or not we're intellectually, lifestyle, future-goal compatible. Great we're sexually compatible-SO WHAT?

IF I'm looking for someone to fill in the entertainment in my sex life THATS PERFECT.
But in terms of someone to be a part of my family (with 5 kids in it)-that's simply not reasonable. ....

Make sense?

I think there is absolutely people who would put relationship over sex. The connection over gratification. That's been the entire journey I went through with casual sex (and I here I thought I was annoying people with talking about it so much). My journey with Mono has really driven that message home that it is possible. He told me early on that he thought I was being used for sex and not valued for who I am as a person and I have proved that it was true. I took him to task on that statement and he was right.I was used for sex. I have also proven that people can wait or not have sex at all and have a perfectly connected and wonderful relationship. Leo and I are proof of that.

Your question reminds me of one I answered on OKCupid. Here it is:

Which of the following relationship timelines would you most prefer?
My usual modus operandi with romantic partners is #1. Very rarely am I "friends first" with someone. If that happens, it usually never goes beyond friendship. But I have remained good friends with men who started as lovers.

Interesting conversation. I don't think Just Friends ever really turns into more unless there is sexual attraction...a hotness factor so to speak.

My preferred MO is:
[*]Attraction > friends > lovers > love
[/LIST][/B]:cool:

Where as, if I find someone attractive and the sparks fly-they could go EITHER WAY-if I choose them to be a fuck-buddy, they will NEVER be a part of the family.

On the other hand, if they seem to be potentially a good fit for the family, I will take hte time to build a friendship before taking them as a lover.

I don't see that taking someone as a lover negates the ability to build a friendship. However, I would never assume they are a good fit for the family until a friendship has been built. I may be in the minority, but until a friendship has been formed, they shouldn't even be introduced to the family (ie. children) at all. In fact the introductions should start with the other adult family memebers and the decission of when it's time to make further introductions should be a mutal decission.

I don't see that taking someone as a lover negates the ability to build a friendship.
It sure doesn't!

I may be in the minority, but until a friendship has been formed, they shouldn't even be introduced to the family (ie. children) at all. In fact the introductions should start with the other adult family memebers and the decission of when it's time to make further introductions should be a mutal decission.
So glad I'm childfree and don't need to worry about such things. I only answer to myself!

Back