View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
It's a two way street. Terminology can be explained (and was explained in the thread). However, in order for those explanations to be understood, it requires the other person to let go of their own pre-conceptions of what it means.
Lol *freaky* I was just reading your other thread while this one had stewed in my brain for a few minutes, and I had exactly this same thought! I literally just came back to this thread to post that thought, only to find you had already done so...

What I was going to say was that it takes some time for our brains to readjust. So while you're completely right that those terms were defined, my brain hadn't adjusted to those definitions within the time it took to read the article and threads.

In scientific writing, there's a difference between "accurate" and "precise" ((Pi = 3 is accurate but not precise, Pi = 3.00283 is precise but not accurate, Pi = 3.14159 is accurate and precise)) but for every day usage, they mean pretty much the same thing and can usually be used interchangeably. I was only able to accept the difference by telling myself that I only had to think that way "for this class" but that I could resume my way of thinking after I wrote my exam. But once I understood and accepted their differing definitions, it was easy to apply them in the rest of my life, and they still stick with me.

I suppose it would be fair to ask that people refrain from posting until they've wrapped their heads around the idea. It's always been a challenge for me to hold my tongue when I feel like I have something worthwhile to say, but I'm trying to improve on that.
—bisexualbaker