America

We also call facial tissue Kleenex, soft drinks are Coke, recliners are Lazy Boys, etc. I am fully aware that there are 20 brands of facial tissues, but I will still call it Kleenex out of habit.:p

Not sure how you explain it, but most of us in the US would understand that that England is to California as UK is to the USA.

I won't blame the public school system, because it is taught, people choose to remember what is important to them at the time and similarly ignorant statements come from people all over the world, even those who supposedly have superior education systems.:eek:
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of mass branding over there. It seems like you're exposed to it all the time. Not so much here.

What would be closer - Yorkshire is to California as England is to the USA. The UK has no true equivalent in America. Though I woulda argue that Hawaii and Alaska were stolen by the US as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were stolen by us in England. =P Well, we actually stole the whole of Ireland and then they revolted. We just managed to keep a small chunk of it. =P

I don't know what GFC is. I'm sorry. :(

It's a common thing here to call it "America" as well. I was on another forum and it caused quite a big "battle" because it was seen as disrespectful and arrogant (by the Canadian and Mexican posters) that the U.S. citizens called themselves American's. As if they (we) thought we were the only ones that mattered.

haha...I have been in this argument. It comes down to geographical ignorance. And ownership. We are all americans. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, the United states, has ended up with the term as their own.

Then again, when I travel, or when my friends travel...travelling as a canadian has a lot of perks. ;)

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of mass branding over there. It seems like you're exposed to it all the time. Not so much here.

What would be closer - Yorkshire is to California as England is to the USA. The UK has no true equivalent in America. Though I woulda argue that Hawaii and Alaska were stolen by the US as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were stolen by us in England. =P Well, we actually stole the whole of Ireland and then they revolted. We just managed to keep a small chunk of it. =P

Ehhhhh... the islands of Hawaii, stolen. Alaska... purchased at an exceptionally sweet bargain price. ^_^

Last edited:
After reading some of the posts I have read here just felt like posting. The U.S. is not much different than any other country if you look at it enough. Yes we do enjoy many freedoms that others do not but our founding fathers and all of the settlers that came to this great land set it up that way. Our ancestors all came here looking for freedoms that they could not enjoy in their own native countries and that still applies today. If this country is so bad and evil why is it that so many folks risk everything to try to get in here every year? It is estimated that over a million legal and illegal immigrants cross our borders each year risking everything just for a better life for themselves and their families.

Now all of the new cultures do class from time to time and sometimes bad things happen but for the most part we all live very much peacefully. If we eat too much t is our choice. No one made us eat so much or made us drive to that restaurant it was our own free choice to do so. If we want to own a gun that to is our choice. There is no need to fear anyone just because they may have a gun. If they are licensed to carry it then have no fear for it is the criminals that you have to worry about not the fellow who is just out enjoying an afternoon with his family.

I spend a lot of time reading news articles from out side the US and at times I am amazed how much miss information there is out there about us. It makes me wonder where it comes from sometimes?

Just a few quotes from our founding fathers and great men of history and I just know this will start a fire storm among many.

*An armed man is a citizen.
An unarmed man is a subject

*Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not Thomas Jefferson

*Those who trade liberty for Security have neither
John Adams

*Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

* When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

* The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control

* The United States Constitution
The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
What part of 'shall not be infringed' is NOT understood?

The Founding Fathers on the Second Amendment
*"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason - Co-author of the Second Amendment
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

*Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington - First President of the United States

* "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
Richard Henry Lee - American Statesman, 1788

Now I will not answer to jab snide remarks and such. If anyone wants to discuss this like adults I will be glad to.

Now back on Topic. My friend we are in Houston if you ever find your way to our little place in our great country we would love to meet you and take you out to dinner or something. We hope you enjoy your trip here and have lots of fun and see the wonderful sites that we have to offer. I too have traveled and like many other countries we have a lot to see and do. If you want to know more feel free to send us a messages and we can discuss it some more. We actually look forward to meeting new friends especially the ones from out the U.S. and learn their point of views and how things go in their countries and homes.

Now back on Topic. My friend we are in Houston if you ever find your way to our little place in our great country we would love to meet you and take you out to dinner or something. We hope you enjoy your trip here and have lots of fun and see the wonderful sites that we have to offer. I too have traveled and like many other countries we have a lot to see and do. If you want to know more feel free to send us a messages and we can discuss it some more. We actually look forward to meeting new friends especially the ones from out the U.S. and learn their point of views and how things go in their countries and homes.

That's a very kind offer - thank you so much. One of the things I have learnt is that I have not given myself enough time there, We won't make it to Houston, but I do appreciate the hospitality.

I also appreciate the quotes from founding fathers, as I did initially seek to garner thoughts from Americans...and they are Americans. I appreciate the glimpse it's given me into what is a historical basis explaining the whole gun thing.

I actually wrote a whole lot which didn't save...frustrating !

I won't comment on substance, as I'm not American...and I'm looking for other peoples views, on their own society

I would be inclined to ask about the validity regarding a value system which seems to have been entrenched a few hundred years ago. Surely a re-visit would have value. Our world is so very different from the world that the founding fathers faced. I don't know that those values or ethics can be carried through - to our time and day..

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

I read the story of the 8 year old boy who shot himself in the head with an Uzi submachine gun. His father caught it on video apparently...I guess he was supposed to be shooting at a pumpkin or something...

Was the American statesman from 1788 talking about that ? Probably not...

It is a different world. Listening to people who live in this age is nice.
It would seem silly if the whole ownership of arms debate is caught up in what some people said a couple of hundred years ago. It's not is it? Surely the debate can't be...

Quotes from the founding fathers have historical value in understanding how a system developed..and how the issue of owning guns became relevant.

Surely, they can't be used as justification now though. They lived hundreds of years ago - they don't know our world.

Is that stuff actually presented in discussions about guns etc ?

Last edited:
I actually wrote a whole lot which didn't save...frustrating !

We know how that is. We have had that happen to us a number of times. Now we will do most of our typing under Word and then transfer it to the forum for posting this way we can also try to spell check everything that was put down.

Now back to your questions and thoughts. Yes many of what our founding fathers put down still have strong bearing in today’s society. Even if many do not want to admit it. No they could not have predicted much of the changed that we have gone through in the last 100 years that is why our document is a living document always changing and updating to fit the needs of a modern society but its underlying meaning is still being held on to and is meant to be held on to. It is foundation of our whole country.

Now for a fairly recent history lesson on the differences’ of an armed and unarmed society. No this does not cover everything but it does get the message across.

*SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN! SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT ISSUES EVERY ADULT THEY TRAIN A RIFLE. SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!! Of course there is more to the story as there always is but this makes me glad that I live where I do where I can be free to decide how I wish to live and defend my life, liberty and freedom and not have the decision made for me.

*In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------
*In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------ *Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------ *China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

* Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------ *Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
------------------------------ *Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

*During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade the U.S. because they knew that the majority of U.S. Citizens were ARMED!

With guns, we are 'citizens;' without them, we are 'subjects'.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the
people always possess arms and be taught alike,
especially when young, how to use them."

Now as for the 8 year old kid who shot himself with an UZI. Well as the statement above says they need to be taught how to use them properly. It is my guess that the father was never taught how to use the properly for if he had been then he would have known that an UZI is way to powerful a weapon for an average 8 year-old to handle. I place the blame on the father not the gun maker. Would you give any of your kids the keys to your car if they did not know how to drive or were to young to even see over the wheel much less know how to handle a vehicle?

Maybe this will help as well.
Leading Causes of Death in the United States
2002 was the last time a major study like this was preformed in the U.S. The data is compliled every 5 to 10 years. So after 2012 I shoudl be able to give you newer updated numbers.

Well if your schedule shoudl change and you find your self in our small corner of the great big world feel free to look us up. I am sure we would have a great time. If you come around the begining of March we can take you to our Houston Live stock and Rodeo show. Well ahve a great day and I hope to you have a wonderful trip. We have a lot to see up here. Hopefully one day soon we will make it down there to your neck of the world.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with setx.
I live in alaska. By age 8 it's common for kids here to already be trained in firearm safety.
It's only slightly less common for them to already be hunting with the family to put food on the table.
My boy (who is 11) has been taking firearm safety classes since he was in Kindergarten, because they start it in cubscouts. By age 8 he was taking those classes through a hunters training program available here.
Additionally, all of our firearms are locked up (unloaded). The kids-even the three year old-have no access to them.

I would be highly offended by a gov't that tried to take my right to own firearms away-and honestly-would refuse to comply.
However, I'm also highly offended by individuals who don't get the necessary training before they pick up a firearm AND ensure that they use firearm safety regarding their children. Which includes never allowing access to a firearm to ANY PERSON who doens't know how to PROPERLY use, store and maintain it.

Now as for the 8 year old kid who shot himself with an UZI. Well as the statement above says they need to be taught how to use them properly. It is my guess that the father was never taught how to use the properly for if he had been then he would have known that an UZI is way to powerful a weapon for an average 8 year-old to handle. I place the blame on the father not the gun maker. Would you give any of your kids the keys to your car if they did not know how to drive or were to young to even see over the wheel much less know how to handle a vehicle?

AGREE - No different the leaving your kid alone in a pool without knowing how to swim. Kids drown in seconds, even with adults standing right there.

The parent was NOT supervising, he was video taping, which is completely unresponsible.

I would have to agree with setx.
I live in alaska. By age 8 it's common for kids here to already be trained in firearm safety.
It's only slightly less common for them to already be hunting with the family to put food on the table.
My boy (who is 11) has been taking firearm safety classes since he was in Kindergarten, because they start it in cubscouts. By age 8 he was taking those classes through a hunters training program available here.
Additionally, all of our firearms are locked up (unloaded). The kids-even the three year old-have no access to them.

I would be highly offended by a gov't that tried to take my right to own firearms away-and honestly-would refuse to comply.
However, I'm also highly offended by individuals who don't get the necessary training before they pick up a firearm AND ensure that they use firearm safety regarding their children. Which includes never allowing access to a firearm to ANY PERSON who doens't know how to PROPERLY use, store and maintain it.

AGREED! I had similar experiences, but never actually took an official class. Then again, if you ever met my dad, you would know that a class would not have covered as much or put more fear of non-compliance than he did.

AGREED! I had similar experiences, but never actually took an official class. Then again, if you ever met my dad, you would know that a class would not have covered as much or put more fear of non-compliance than he did.

Then my dearie-you DID take a class. It just happened to be taught by your father.

My father was the same way. MY Lady never even touched a gun til she meet me but I quickly fixed that and now she is a better shot than I am with a pistol. Both of our kids know better than to even think about touching the guns and my son who is 12 now knows that all he has to do is ask and we will go down to the range just as soon as we can and squeeze off a few rounds in a safe protected environment.

I also knwo that where the media likes to make it sound slike there is open warfare in our streets it is actually very safe and quite in the vast majority of the cities around the U.S. and the folks are all great people who will go out of their way to help a stranger. Even though we live in a large city we really prefer the folks that live in small towns. We love their good strong family values.

I quite enjoy the idea of having a gun myself. For something like defense... But you have to realise, there are idiots out there who will do more harm than good. I'm willing to not have a gun so that no idiot can have one either. Instead, in this country. Most people turn to knife crime instead. Because, to be fair, you can find a ton of them in your kitchen. So what do I do? I keep an array of swords and knives in my bedroom. They look good as decorations and look even better if I were ever robbed by a knife-wielding idiot. ^_^ The majority of people killed by a knife here, are actually killed by their own knife. So sucks if you want to go round stabbing people. =P I'm also partly trained in karate and ju-jitsu combined with my own fighting style. I've lost maybe 2 fights in my life.

So yeah... I don't need a gun, I'll defend myself without.

As for hunting... Well that just something I'm not interested in. Hunt away!

:DOH YES! Long sharp pointy things are great! We have a few of those as well. :D
My longest is only about half the size of me. [3ft] A nice katana. It's not sharp though. What I really want is a Viking Longsword.

I appreciate the insight all - thanks ! :)

I'm off and away for a pre-holiday holiday. I will think about the responses though. I do feel more educated about a number of things, why people value the right to own firearms as an example.

That's not something that is important to me - But it's useful to understand why that may be important to other people.

Yup. But then there's folks like us, where the only "guns" you'll find are Nail guns....Staple Guns....Glue guns....Heat guns.....Rivet Guns... :D

A lot of damage can be done with a nail gun. Just ask a good friend of mine when he accidently nailed his hand to the floor. OUCH!

I have a custom made sword and dagger set that was made for me a long time ago plus many others as well. I use to have more until we had a bunch of stuff stollen during a move including a viking long sword and battle axe. We had a two handed claymore, several fencing swords, but my main preference is daggers.

:DJohns Hopkins Student Kills Burglar With Samurai Sword:rolleyes::p

A lot of damage can be done with a nail gun. Just ask a good friend of mine when he accidently nailed his hand to the floor. OUCH!

I have a custom made sword and dagger set that was made for me a long time ago plus many others as well. I use to have more until we had a bunch of stuff stollen during a move including a viking long sword and battle axe. We had a two handed claymore, several fencing swords, but my main preference is daggers.

:DJohns Hopkins Student Kills Burglar With Samurai Sword:rolleyes::p
Love the story at the end there. Something like that over here, would unfortunately have the law on there side. Which is completely stupid. Everyone has a right to defend their property, even if you have to kill them as a last resort. They certainly won't be coming round stealing my stuff again will they? =P

That's one thing I'd love to see change over here.

That's a bummer that you had some cool stuff stolen yourself. I'm lucky to never have been robbed so far. Most of my expensive gear is in my bedroom though. One of the last places someone will go when they want to rob a place. They can take my awful TV in the living room, they will be lucky to get anything for it. That's if they can even carry it out of the house. =P

Back