New to Poly. Problems with how to start?

celiset

A few months ago my boyfriend of 2 years expressed interest in having an open relationship. While I am open to that possibility, I'm definitely not as interested in it as he is. He is currently talking to/dating two women, nothing physical, but he flirts a lot with one of them. The reason nothing physical has happened yet is because I'm not comfortable with it. My idea was that we would introduce new things in small steps, and then see how I felt after each step, as opposed to just jumping straight into sexual relationships. For example, first dating, then flirting, then cuddling without sexual contact, then introduce some sexual contact, etc.

My boyfriend is moving much faster in this process than I am and is starting to pressure me more than I feel comfortable with. I can't help how I feel, and I don't think I can handle him moving into sexual relationships right now. The timing is just bad for me because of other things in life I'm trying to deal with, plus I just don't have any interest in dating other people myself right now. Because of this it's really hard for me to be interested in pursuing a poly relationship. The only reason I am open to it now is because I know how much it would mean for him to have other close relationships. He is reading The Ethical Slut and I haven't had a chance to read it yet. He feels, as what is apparently advised in the book, that I just need to go through the feelings (which for me would be confusion and pain) resulting from him being close and sexual with other woman. And then process and deal with those feelings, I guess by communicating with him about them.

I don't know. This seems weird. I mean, yeah, I can understand that, I guess, if someone was mentally and emotionally PREPARED to go through that. But I'm just not ready! There's nothing sexual he wants to pursue right now, but he is trying to get me to commit NOW for a trip he and I are taking in January. The woman he flirts with will be in that city as well and he wants me to say it's ok for him to stay an extra night or two just with her. The problem is that I don't know how I will feel by then! It might still be too soon.

So, I think he is pressuring me too much, is not being patient enough, etc. But he thinks that *I* am the one not being understanding of how important this is to him. I guess he thinks that if I really knew how much being poly meant to him then I would move faster with this process. But, like I said before, I'm doing the best I know how and I can't help how I feel!

Any insight, advice on this??? I mean, how do some couples handle opening up to poly relationships when one partner isn't as into it as the other?? Thanks.

Up on my soap box I go!

If you are going to read letirature to inform you and prepare you for a life with a polyamorous partner (especially if you ar unsure if you are poly) I highly suggest you pick up Deborah Anapol's - Love without Limits http://www.lovewithoutlimits.com/books.html

The Ethical slut reads like an enabling book as opposed to an informative book in my humble opinion. I'm pretty mono and Deborah's book was much more clear, sensitive and less sexually driven which allowed me to focus on the content of the message and what poly is about. The Ethical Slut was like holding a handful of anthrax :(

Peace and Love
Mono

Last edited:
Go to lovemore.com
Read through it.
There is a LOT of helpful info in there.
Also-read everything you can on here.

Communication IS key.

Dealing with your emotions IS necessary.

You have a right to FEEL anything-but you do not have the right to ACT on those emotions NECESSARILY.

It's imperative to understand that you MUST look at your emotions in order to identify if they are TRULY reasonable or not before you choose a course of action.

Saying "we'll work on it" means that you need to be ACTIVELY pursuing the solution-not waffling (not saying you are, just bringing it up) or putting it off.

It sounds like he's pushing too hard and that you are waffling (just what it sounds like). Go read-it will help A LOT if you do.

Update: Taking a break

So, just an update on my situation. My boyfriend and I had a talk today and I decided that I'm going to let him free to do what he wants, but that I'm going to take a break from the relationship. This is not what he prefers, although he can understand why I would do this.

The reason for the break is because I cannot handle being emotionally and physically intimate with him while he is being emotionally and physically intimate with other women. So I am just going to focus on myself, without having the pressure of being in a relationship, and assess how I feel about him being free to have these other intimate relationships. We both understand that it might eventually break us up for good, if it turns out I can't handle it at all, but I am keeping an open mind that maybe things will turn out in ways that I might not imagine.

I'll try to read up on polyamory, including the Love Without Limits. The book Opening Up seems good too and we might get that too.

Thanks for the two of you who responded. I thought maybe more people would share similar experiences and how they got through them, but I guess those people are looking at other categories in this forum. :)

Last edited:
IMO, I see being intimate (whether it is kissing, intimate conversations or sex) as things that progress along a continuum and it is very difficult to stop at one specific point, as in "okay dear, I'm going out with Angela tonight. I will share intimate moments with her and hold hands but not kiss or feel emotionally attached to her beyond level 3." Yes, we can dissect physical intimacy and even emotional intimacy to some extent, but really it is all part of a fluid process.
If you like, check out my thread: http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1020
which illustrates my less than honorable way of discovering polyamory. The point is that no matter what I did or did not do with Maia, I still felt the same way about her. It didn't matter to Leto if I had slept with her or not, I had in her eyes betrayed our love because it was only supposed to be for us. I don't know if had I not kissed Maia, would Leto have still felt the same? I think she would have because rather than hearing me say "I love both of you." she was hearing "I don't love you that much because there is room in my heart for someone else." It is the difference between the mono and poly paradigms and language.

So your b/f isn't having sex w/ anyone else but he's flirting with someone. And he might want to have sex w/ her. Boy does this sound familiar. (me) I actually had a some really great dates/experiences while with my last g/f because she was having trouble with me being poly so I was trying to move slow (but also, not slow enough for her) and I was not having sex which was sort of new for me. When I was monogamous and single, I would typically jump into bed with a new partner within the first week, if not the first night! Having a partner already made me more cautious, slow and careful.. Not just because of her recaltriance, but also because becoming sexual and advancing to that level of intimacy was a bigger responsibility. Not just taking care of myself anymore, but thinking of my partner as well. Normally being a "dive into everything head first" sort of person this was a new and exciting approach for me.

The story didn't have a fairy tale ending however. My g/f ended up breaking up w/ me a couple weeks ago. No need for sympathy however, I think both of us are wonderful and resilient humans who will take the best from our experience and move forward. Maybe our paths will intermingle in the future? Her handle is Nyx if you want to check out the saga from her side as it is somewhat more akin to yours, I imagine.

As for your situation, I did not read but somewhat agree with the sentiments from the Ethical Slut. Of course, I'm poly and not very jealous, but I think that having your partner have sex with someone else isn't so bad. As long as your health is not at risk (protection, STI testing and disclosure, &c.) the biggest things are fear, IMO.
Fear that she will be a better lover or turn him on more. Fear that you will no longer turn him on. Fear that for that reason or for other reasons they will link up and leave you "out in the cold". That's monogamy. And that might very well be what happens. It's about trust. It's about knowing your b/f, and speculating what you can trust him to be like. Trusting yourself, knowing how you would feel if he DID leave.

My only issue with my g/f dating other men was all the men she found were monogamous and if they grew to like her most likely they would try to lead her away from her relationship with me. It wasn't really a big issue, because I trusted her to do what would make her most content. If that meant leaving me, then so be it. I might sound magnanimous there, but really I'm not. I'm just looking out for my own happiness and I couldn't be happy knowing she was miserable with me. That's part of why we're not together now; she gave many indications that remaining with me would make her miserable.

Sorry I'm so long winded. I could write a book.

What you don't realize in the lack of response is that we have heard this before and it takes time to conjure up an opinion. You might want to do a lot more reading on here before jumping to any conclusions that no one is interested in responding. Besides your crazy life is just words to us. We have our own shit going on and if anyone replies at all you should be thinking of it as a gift not a right.

Having said that I think your boyfriend has NRE for poly. He needs to look at that. It sounds like he hasn't really met any of the women he has been flirting with. Take it from me honey, there is a big diffference between on line and real life. VERY different! I think it is totally unacceptable to ask to stay over at someones house at the end of your holiday. Met all three of you maybe but not stay over. He may find her repulsive! Then what! I did that once and had to pretend I was sick and fly home. A nightmare.

I'm appalled that he isn't fighting for you! Good ridence if you ask me!

Legion, no need to apologize for the long reply! I actually appreciated it. :) Maybe you *should* write a book!

I read your other post as well and think your story is very interesting. I think it helps to hear other people's stories and have something newbies can try to relate to.

I don't feel like I am *that* jealous either, especially since my boyfriend and I have such a deep sense of trust and communication with each other. Just this morning he was telling me about someone who responded to his online ad and I was nonchalantly giving him advice about her response to him. I just don't know at what level I can maintain this non-jealousy, and since I'm not the one interested in initiating a poly lifestyle, I don't have much impetus to work on it.

I often wonder if I too could participate in the poly lifestyle, and that it just happens that my boyfriend is making this transition before me. I'm not sure though. The timing makes it difficult.

I have noticed that most if not all the people on this "New to Polyamory" category are those who have initiated the poly lifestlyle for themselves. I can try to look harder, but haven't seen anyone who is trying to adjust to being poly because their partner wanted it, or to put in somewhat harsher terms, because their partner "dragged them into it". :) I say that tongue in cheek by the way, and also because I can't really think of any other words to put it in.

So maybe people like me, the partners of poly-curious people, are rare to initiate this type of dialogue in the first place? Anyway, just thinking out loud now.

Thanks again. :)

What you don't realize in the lack of response is that we have heard this before and it takes time to conjure up an opinion. You might want to do a lot more reading on here before jumping to any conclusions that no one is interested in responding. Besides your crazy life is just words to us. We have our own shit going on and if anyone replies at all you should be thinking of it as a gift not a right.

Having said that I think your boyfriend has NRE for poly. He needs to look at that. It sounds like he hasn't really met any of the women he has been flirting with. Take it from me honey, there is a big diffference between on line and real life. VERY different! I think it is totally unacceptable to ask to stay over at someones house at the end of your holiday. Met all three of you maybe but not stay over. He may find her repulsive! Then what! I did that once and had to pretend I was sick and fly home. A nightmare.

I'm appalled that he isn't fighting for you! Good ridence if you ask me!

Hi Redpepper. It wasn't my intention to offend anyone on this forum, and I wasn't assuming that no one was interested was replying. :) I was sincerely making a comment that perhaps the people with stories like mine weren't reading this "New to Polyamory" category or maybe not reading my thread in particular. I tried to convey a little light-heartedness about it with the smiley face emoticon.

I do REALLY appreciate all the helpful responses I received so far.

My boyfriend is reading this thread as well, so it has been helpful for us to both have a better understanding of what is going on with each other.

I understand very clearly that he has his own needs, just as he understands that have my own needs. This is why I am not offended that he isn't fighting for me. And as I stated in my last post, we have an extremely deep level of trust and communication--we both know that we each have each other's best interests at heart. That is why I have no fear of him lying to me or betraying me. But I'm not going to try to control what he wants or needs, and it's not his fault if I don't fit into that. Believe me, he and I talked about all this.

As for your comment about my boyfriend not really meeting these women, we had a good chuckle about that this morning. I know for a fact that he has met both of them. As for the woman he flirts with, I do have an opportunity to meet her during our trip in January, that is if I still go. In fact, because of the circumstances of our trip, I wouldn't have any other choice to have at least run into her. And I am actually fine with that.

Last edited:
I have noticed that most if not all the people on this "New to Polyamory" category are those who have initiated the poly lifestlyle for themselves. I can try to look harder, but haven't seen anyone who is trying to adjust to being poly because their partner wanted it, or to put in somewhat harsher terms, because their partner "dragged them into it". :) I say that tongue in cheek by the way, and also because I can't really think of any other words to put it in.

So maybe people like me, the partners of poly-curious people, are rare to initiate this type of dialogue in the first place? Anyway, just thinking out loud now.

Hi Celiset, welcome (belatedly) to the forum. I'm one of those people who originally came to polyamory because of the desires of my partner, and I'm by no means rare here on the boards. Look a little deeper, and I know you'll find plenty of others.

If your interested in my story, you can find it at http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4518#post4518. Be warned though, it's no fairy tale, and we're still working on the happily ever after.

(Slight hijack: I've been thinking about it recently, and I find it interesting and odd that even though opening our lives to poly was completely Hubby's idea, at this point I'm far and away more poly-oriented than he is. )

My advice to you, and to anyone considering polyamory, is to read all you can on it, deeply consider all you learn and incorporate what seems right and true for you. This forum has been extremely valuable to me, and I know you will find many wise, compassionate and caring poly people here.

Approach every situation with love and respect for all concerned, because you never know what will trigger a sensitive spot in the relationship(s). And when you've identified a sensitive area, talk it out. Talk and talk and talk some more. Give that shit so much light and air that flowers blossom up out of it!

Best of luck to you, and to your ex-bf. I wish for ya'll th best possible outcome, whatever that may be. :)

Hi Celiset, welcome (belatedly) to the forum. I'm one of those people who originally came to polyamory because of the desires of my partner, and I'm by no means rare here on the boards. Look a little deeper, and I know you'll find plenty of others.

If your interested in my story, you can find it at http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4518#post4518. Be warned though, it's no fairy tale, and we're still working on the happily ever after.

(Slight hijack: I've been thinking about it recently, and I find it interesting and odd that even though opening our lives to poly was completely Hubby's idea, at this point I'm far and away more poly-oriented than he is. )

My advice to you, and to anyone considering polyamory, is to read all you can on it, deeply consider all you learn and incorporate what seems right and true for you. This forum has been extremely valuable to me, and I know you will find many wise, compassionate and caring poly people here.

Approach every situation with love and respect for all concerned, because you never know what will trigger a sensitive spot in the relationship(s). And when you've identified a sensitive area, talk it out. Talk and talk and talk some more. Give that shit so much light and air that flowers blossom up out of it!

Best of luck to you, and to your ex-bf. I wish for ya'll th best possible outcome, whatever that may be. :)

Yay! You exist! Thank you!!! I will read your story later today when I get a chance.

I wasn't offended celiset, just a bit frustrated. Some of us have been on here a long time and dedicate a lot of time to this forum. I love reading what is going on for people and love helping out when I can with some radical honesty, but I don't like to be made to feel that I have to. That's all.

Thanks fidelia for passing on the link. There are many many people that started on here for the very same reason you are.

I'm not sure I understand your situation. Has he met some women, not met women? I don't get it. Is he looking for a relationship? Or sex? If the latter then that isn't poly by my standard. Its an open relationship which is not what this forum is about. Clarity please, if you know at this point? Its a little confusing.

I don't know how to put in links. Sorry. Haven't mastered that yet! Still working on figuring out how to tag so when I start my new thread (overdue) I can tag it because I know the regulars wish I would so they could more easily say GO SEARCH FOR THAT! :eek:
I have lots of posts-but haven't been here too long! :D

Maca has posted a wealth of his struggles with being "dragged" into a poly lifestyle, think most is on the general forum, but you could just look him up-click his profile and read all his posts.

Check out lovemore.com as well. I found that site first and read and read and read and read. Then sent like 50 copy/pasted messages to Maca of htings I found on there so he could also read. Very helpful info. Their magazine online has good info too and I think you can search through previous editions... I think...

I don't know how to put in links. Sorry. Haven't mastered that yet! Still working on figuring out how to tag so when I start my new thread (overdue) I can tag it because I know the regulars wish I would so they could more easily say GO SEARCH FOR THAT! :eek:
I have lots of posts-but haven't been here too long! :D

It is really quite easy. There is nothing to "master". You won't break anything if you make a mistake:

To put in a link, there is a little icon of a paperclip with a globe, above the part where you type in the text of your post. Click that, then enter the URL you want to link to in the little box that drops down.

To add tags to an already existing thread, go to the bottom of the list of messages (right below the "Post Reply" button) and you will see a blue bar with the word "Tags" on the left, and "Edit Tags" over to the right. Click on Edit Tags and you can add up to two tags per thread. If you are starting a new thread, it will say "Tags" in blue letters at the bottom of the box where you type in the text of your post. It will let you put up to 5 tags if you are the one starting the thread.

Last edited:
I wasn't offended celiset, just a bit frustrated. Some of us have been on here a long time and dedicate a lot of time to this forum. I love reading what is going on for people and love helping out when I can with some radical honesty, but I don't like to be made to feel that I have to. That's all.

Thanks fidelia for passing on the link. There are many many people that started on here for the very same reason you are.

I'm not sure I understand your situation. Has he met some women, not met women? I don't get it. Is he looking for a relationship? Or sex? If the latter then that isn't poly by my standard. Its an open relationship which is not what this forum is about. Clarity please, if you know at this point? Its a little confusing.

Um, you don't *have* to do anything. Jeez.

*You* get an attitude with me over something trivial in the last post, and in this post still manage to make it seem like it's *my* fault? At least my bf and I both know that neither of us can *make* the other feel anything. How you feel is an independent choice. So if you're feeling frustrated, take a look at yourself first.

To be honest, both he and I have read your "radical honesty" in previous posts and we see you as condescending, codependent, and [deleted by moderator]. How's that for radical honesty?

For everyone else, you all seem really nice and I appreciate your help.

I think I'll take my questions elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

*You* get an attitude with me over something trivial in the last post, and in this post still manage to make it seem like it's *my* fault? At least my bf and I both know that neither of us can *make* the other feel anything. How you feel is an independent choice. So if you're feeling frustrated, take a look at yourself first.

To be honest, both he and I have read your "radical honesty" in previous posts and we see you as condescending, codependent, and a big fat know it all. How's that for radical honesty?

I have to step in here.
RP has been brutally honest with some of us-and MANY of us have REQUESTED that of her. Radical honesty is expressing a truth about a situation-it is not letting your emotions allow your ass to over run your mouth.

I have proven myself to be a very patient caring person who is quite capable of trying to see things from anothers perspective. However-I can also say-that in this case-YOU are wrong and that was uncalled for. You owe RP a sincere apology. Others may feel different-but I for one will not return to post any of the many good suggestions I may have so long as things stand as they do after the quoted post.

There is no need to call names.

Obviously I have offended now, for that I am sorry....

Just for the record I didn't say that quote with any malice towards you, I was stating why I was initially frustrated as a way to move on. My frustration had nothing to do with you personally, which is why I decided I better explain myself as I was feeling bad about my post looking like I was lashing out at you and not my frustration with the same old same old... I usually try and remember that I am not where others are when I suggest that they have a good read and remember that we can't always get to threads instantly in a time of someones need or write about what they want us to write about...I am sorry that I did not remember in your case. My mistake.

Also just for the record..... forum writing is not meant to be taken personally. You don't know who I am and I don't know you... this is a blessing because we can offer opinions and suggestions from our own personal stance on things without sugar coating things....you can take or leave what we all say... I am sure people come on here with the thought that they will get sugar. Well then they should talk to their friends.... those of us near and dear to us give us sugar. The beauty of forums is that we get rational, uninvolved advice from people who have lived what we are going through and have some wisdom because of it. This is THE GIFT. If this sounds condescending then so be it... bye.

Take over everyone else.... obviously I am not wanted here.

OK HOLD THE BUS!!!!

First RP you know better then to think your not wanted here.This is a public forum and as such when anyone writes here they should expect( hope for) an array of differing opinons. It makes no sense to hear the same advice over and over.

No one can be expected to give solid advice with out understanding the question. RP simply asked you to be clearer so she could help.If you have truely read the posts by RP then you would know she would only spend her time replying to the "NEWBIES" as you put it in order to be of usefulness.

And now you have LR fired up( not a good thing IMO) I was going to share with you but I have to agree that you need to check yourself at the loggin. Purposfully hurting is not tolerated on this board( nor should it be anywhere else).

I can see that your hurting and that your not sure how to deal with this all but honestly you should pull back and regroup your feelings. Dont bite the hands that feed you sort a thing.

Might we all start over on this one?

Perhaps laying the story out from the beginning, with clarity and then see what advice is given.

Name calling and misuse of words with clear definitions such as codependancy only causes confusion and anger. However I will be sure to pass on the "big fat know it all" slam to my 16 year old daughter. I'm sure it will fit in much better in her social circle. ;)

Peace and love
Mono

Last edited:

To be honest, both he and I have read your "radical honesty" in previous posts and we see you as condescending, codependent, and a big fat know it all. How's that for radical honesty?

Unfortunately I find it necessary to revisit this comment. Although I usually try to de-escalate negativity with an over dose of positivism there are some glaring points to note in this that may provide an opportunity to learn from.

I recognize this aggressive, illogical and outright immature approach to dealing with your own shit because I have done it as well. It is generally from a place of fear that people lash out at those that try to help them. Compounding this may be a general inability to understand the help being offered or in understanding that those trying to do so need to understand what the issue is with clear and logical details.

In attacking Redpepper, you have probably denied yourself a valuable insight into how to approach your issue. While she does not know everything, she has a huge amount of experience in many things dealing with relationship dynamics, sexuality, and certainly how to build a functioning, healthy and positive poly relationship. You and your boyfriend are new to this and, if you want a much smoother path in your journey, you would do well to open up to the people who walked the path already. Your choice.

While we'd love to see you stay, share and hopefully work through this issue with the help on this forum, it sounds as if you have become discouraged. I apologize for that and wish you luck in seeking other resources...just try to be clear and receptive in the future no matter where you find yourselves.

Peace and Love
Mono

Back