Will you be my husband's girlfriend??

openbj

Okay, so how on earth do you even approach someone about being your husband's girlfriend? The person we want has been a friend for two years now. She and my husband did have an affair last year. They really do love each other. But, I ruined it for all of us at the time. I didn't even know that poly was an option. Some of that brainwashing I've had to work through. We are all three still friends. I love this person like a sister, even after everything we went through last year.

Hubby and I have decided to go poly and his love for her is still strong, so he has asked if she could his significant other, I have agreed and was actually going to suggest it myself. We love her kids, she loves our kids, our kids all love each other, etc. Hubby has asked that I be the one to talk to her because of everything last year, so that way she's more comfortable for her, knowing that I'm in agreement, and it's not just him trying to have another affair. Even during their affair, she would tell him, "This can't destroy your marriage. You love your wife too much and she loves you too much. You can just consider me a friends with benefits relationship."

Now, I do believe that hubby and I are ready to move forward with her. This would be a V with him as the hinge, A and I as best friends (like we are now). I'm just not sure how to break the ice with her and get things moving in that direction. We are looking at this as long term, possibly forever. We really can see us with her like this for that long.

Tips? Ice breakers? Conversation starters? I really need help here.

I should also add....

Hubby just got a couple of job offers. Both will move us. Either within our current state (OK) or to NM. She lives in TX (we moved from there a year ago, the affair started over the phone as expression of loss over us losing our closeness in proximity and constant contact). "A" expressed to me the other day that jobs aren't working out for her where she's at, so she is considering moving to her mom's until she gets on her feet. We would of course want her in the same town as us so that they can see each other more and she and I can spend time together as well (friends) and we can let the kids play together. Our initial idea, if she is open to being his significant other, is to move her with us, until she finds a job and a place of her own to settle into. That's how serious we are about this commitment. This was my idea, so yes, I'm perfectly fine with it. Hubby's new job would be able to provide for all of us until she gets on her feet, so no worries there.

How about something like:

"[her name], I hope you know I love you like a sister. And [your hubby's name] has never stopped loving you. We want you to know that, after much discussion and consideration, we've decided to open up our marriage. In other words, we are now non-monogamous.

I'm telling you this because, if you still feel the same way you did for [hubby], you both have my blessing to resume your relationship. I know he would want that very much, and you should know that I have worked on and gotten past all the issues that made it difficult for me when it was an affair between you two. What we both want now is for it all to be out in the open and honest. In fact, we've even discussed the possibility of asking you to relocate to be nearer to us. That's how serious we are about this.

I know this must come as a shock, but it is real, and [hubby] and I both want you to seriously consider this, and to come to us with any questions you might have."​

You could write it too, if you think you would have a hard time speaking to her.

How about something like:

"[her name], I hope you know I love you like a sister. And [your hubby's name] has never stopped loving you. We want you to know that, after much discussion and consideration, we've decided to open up our marriage. In other words, we are now non-monogamous.

I'm telling you this because, if you still feel the same way you did for [hubby], you both have my blessing to resume your relationship. I know he would want that very much, and you should know that I have worked on and gotten past all the issues that made it difficult for me when it was an affair between you two. What we both want now is for it all to be out in the open and honest. In fact, we've even discussed the possibility of asking you to relocate to be nearer to us. That's how serious we are about this.

I know this must come as a shock, but it is real, and [hubby] and I both want you to seriously consider this, and to come to us with any questions you might have."​

You could write it too, if you think you would have a hard time speaking to her.

Hubby and I LOVE this!! He was very impressed, as was I.

Hubby works 10pm-7am, so I'm left at home alone with the kids sleeping. A usually gets off work around 10pm and is then home alone with her kids sleeping. So we chat on FB nearly every night. Hubby broke the ice a little bit this afternoon with a text he sent her that basically said, he values their friendship, has always enjoyed talking with her and hanging out with her, that he's sorry for how things went down and that he regrets that they haven't talked more since (they've talked, but it's all been kept really shallow and basic to "protect" themselves and me). We have both decided that if during A and I's chatting tonight, the conversation starts heading in this direction, I will talk to her. I've already told her that hubby read the text to me when I got home from work this afternoon, and that I'm not upset, hurt, or anything of the sort by it. That all is well and she is free to talk to him. So, hopefully this will help get love in the air. I just really hope that I didn't hurt her to the point that she's not interested anymore. :(

Best of luck!

I'd suggest that part of the strength of nycindie's suggestion is that the whole thing is spelled out in one piece. Text might disperse that some. You may consider sending the nycindie's formal invite as an email and use texting for discussion of the email.

*fingers crossed and big hugs*

If our conversation goes in this direction tonight, then I plan on calling her. Hubby prefers talking over typing in any form, because he feels that typing is too impersonal for such a matter as this. I would really prefer to just go see her and talk to her, but that just isn't possible with us living so far apart right now.

Hubby just took off for work and A isn't working tonight. A just called me to let me know that she just needs to get home, bathe the angels and put them to bed, then she'll be ready for our nightly chatting session. I'm still waiting for my angels to get home. They went to a wood workers meeting with their grandpa tonight. Something they do together once a month that they really enjoy. We have two boys, ages 12 and 9. A has 3 angels (2 girls, one boy) ranging from 2-5. All 5 of the angels are just the most precious ever and the light of all of our eyes. A's youngest (boy) actually just got hurt the other day. First thing A did, was text me to let me know and then she passed along hugs and kisses from me to him. :)

Eeeeek!! I'm a nervous wreck. We just started chatting. Guess the angels gave her a hard time going to bed lol.

It did not go well. She ended with, "I can't even hear you right now. I'm just getting angry and disgusted. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

She's having a really hard time believing that poly is biblical.

I'm drawing a blank right now. I busted out all of my Bible references and research that I could for now. I guess, she just needs to chew on things?

Hmm. Perhaps the affair is something she has such shame about that she wants to forget the whole thing, just continuing the friendship. Maybe she feels that she has worked hard to make up for it and this kind of proposal has brought it to the surface again. It could be that she thinks putting herself in that position will give her a reason to feel like she is a bad person or doing wrong again. Maybe the next step is for your hubs to talk to her.

She's having a really hard time believing that poly is biblical.

I'm curious where this aproach came from? I'm not judging it, but think this is the first time some one has used the bible to try to explain poly to someone.

My advice is to now back off as far as possible and do just like you said..let her chew on it.

I still struggle with the idea and benefit of poly over affairs. I know how destructive affairs can be but I also know that the idea of poly is an even more shocking concept to most people I know..... outside of the poly community that is.

Give her time and good luck

I'm wondering about the little angels' daddy - where is he in all this, and is he going to be ok with the idea of her moving to a new state to live polyamorously? Her kids are so young, is what prompted my question.

I'm sorry she reacted with disgust, but maybe she will have some time to process and start to see the positives.

Hi BJ,

\ Although I also like what NYC laid out, from experience I might approach it in a less formal manner. Because 'poly' is so little understood it can actually become a block at first. I've found it's better to let people come to such 'labels' on their own.

I (we) have been in this exact position - and seen it a number of times in others.

What we found worked for us was to simply acknowledge the previous relationship, express the lack of understanding and how to cope/deal, and to explain that it's finally 'clear'. Nothing more.
Your explanation of now understanding how everyone's happiness is increased by it and that no 'harm' is coming from it is enough. You give your blessing and look forward to sharing in that happiness with both of them yourself.

It's simple enough..........

"I love you both - I'm happy if I can help make you both happy too !"

GS

Hi BJ,

\ Although I also like what NYC laid out, from experience I might approach it in a less formal manner.
We don't know if she used my words, which were just a loose suggestion based on what she wrote here.

I think getting into taking about the Bible may have complicated the discussion.

I think getting into taking about the Bible may have complicated the discussion.

My own research inquiry aside, NYC is likely correct.

Space is good for right now. As you reconnect, you can come form a place of love and forgiveness (both vital to Christianity, relationships in general, and polyamory in particular).

I'm actually really curious to hear more about your research and examples if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks. :)

We have a thread on it here, called Polyamory and Christianity, tho it has recently devolved into people defending pedophile priests as some sort of conspiracy of liars making up the child rapes to get money from the Church. :eek: :rolleyes:

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2797

Back