Poly-aware therapist?

lau2113

Hello!
I'm Laura, married, heterosexual, 3 kids.
I've been married for 16 years now. We started talking poly about 2 years ago (I brought up the subject), we tried poly about one year ago... we separated about 5 months ago.
I've been seeing a therapist since February. Maybe it's too late for this relationship to work, maybe it's not, but I still think I would learn much more from it if I did therapy (or ideally, if we both did couples therapy) with a psicologist who's seen many times stuff like we've been through... Does it make sense?
Can you recommend anyone?

Laura

It would help to know what area you're in.

I know... the thing is, I'm in Argentina, and I don't think there's anybody here, so I'd need to travel or do it via Skype anyway. Which is why I didn't add my location... I'd like someone with experience.

Hi Laura,
Welcome to our forum.

There's a couple of external links you could try:

http://www.polychromatic.com/pfp/main.php
http://www.lovemore.com/polyprofessional.php?

But you are right, it would be difficult to find a list of people in Argentina.

If a counselor is really good, don't rule them out; they might be willing to study up on polyamory, and be accepting of your orientation/situation.

You may find that interactions on these boards are helpful too. But it is good that you are also seeking a professional.

Glad to have you with us.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Laura, if you couldn't find the Online Resources thread I directed you to (in our Golden Nuggets forum), here are the links from that post. I think there are international resources in some of these:

Ways to find poly-friendly professionals and/or those who specialize in "alternative lifestyle" counseling:

Polychromatic: Poly-Friendly Professionals.

Loving More's List of Poly-Friendly Professionals.

Tristan Taormino's Open List

National Coalition for Sexual Freedom's Kink-Aware Professionals (KAP) Directory

Psychology Today: Find a Therapist
. With this one, you can select "Relationship Issues" after you narrow it down for your zip code.

lovewithoutlimits.com

Don't know if she still does-but Deborah Anapol did at some point do phone/skype stuff with that.
She's certainly got LOTS of PERSONAL experience with poly and she does workshops etc...
Few books too.

Good luck.

Back