There are 2 Rivers: which one is this?

trueRiver

Please note there are two people here with the name River.

The first one to arrive (March 2009) here has the username River, and signs his name River, and his public profile is here. He is based in Santa Fe, NM, in the US, and is bisexual

The new arrival (August 2011) is me, with username trueRiver, signed as as River~~, and his public profile is here. He is based in Manchester, England as of August 2011, but may soon move to be near his daughter in Tain, Scotland. He is heterosexual

So, why not just change my screen name to avoid confusion?

The thing is, it is not just a screen name. I chose the name River~~ (complete with the twiddly bits) back in 1997, and have been using it ever since. It is the name on my bank cards, driving licence, tenancy agreement, etc etc. My son and his mother both call me River (as why should my name change between people -- I may be in a different role but I am still the same me).

This has been a personal stand for a long time: but is also a Quaker practice dating back to the 17th C. No titles, just the same name to everyone.

So if it causes confusion, I hope you will live with it. I hope this short message helps.

The first one to arrive (March 2009) here has the username River, and signs his name River, and his public profile is here. He is based in Santa Fe, NM, in the US, and is bisexual

Thanks, trueRiver. Actually, I prefer to be called biamorous rather than bisexual, because although I am sexually attracted to both sexes, I prefer to emphasize love over sex in relationships. I find the habit of calling persons homo- and hetero- and bi- sexual places the emphasis on sexual orientation rather than relational orientation and raises one over the other in significance and importance. And I find relational orientation more significant and important. So, yes, I am bisexual. But more importantly and informatively, I am biamorous.

I'm happy that we share the name River. This name is also a name I use outside of web forums, in everyday life. It is my middle name. And thanks for helping with clarity on which River is which!

Back