Poly-themed Movies

The Kids are All Right -- not!

Did anyone see this and hate the ending as much as I did?? All I could think was, "If only...." :confused:

I saw this one when it came out and am summarizing from memory, so hopefully my memory is accurate.

There's a made for TV movie from the nineties starring Farrah Fawcett, Lea Thompson and Peter Weller called The Substitute Wife. I think it deals interestingly with a number of poly issues.

The wife is dying and wants to find a replacement wife for her husband. She finds a prostitute played by Farrah Fawcett who wants to get out of the business. Farrah's character agrees to marry the husband after the wife dies and comes to live with them, on their property in separate lodgings, and the husband courts her and falls in love with her. The wife, who is unable to perform sexually, encourages her husband to become sexually involved with his prospective bride, they do, and then the wife's illness goes into remission. The husband and wife resume intimate relations. They deal with the fact that he and Farrah's character still have feelings for each other and live in a poly V for a time until the wife's illness unexpectedly returns.

I think that's pretty poly. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111304/

Last edited:
What!!!

I'm really surprised that nobody yet has mentioned Pleasantville, a 1998 American fantasy comedy-drama written, produced, and directed by Gary Ross. The film stars Tobey Maguire, Reese Witherspoon, William H. Macy, Joan Allen, Marley Shelton and Jeff Daniels. Here is a trailer on YouTube.
I fell in love with the Joan Allen character (the hinge in the V). Watch out for her (incendiary) discovery of orgasm (self produced)! The polyamory doesn't run right through the film (and I don't want to spoil it for you by expounding on this), but the scene at the end on the bench is just wonderful. As is the one of the son cross-examining his father in the courthouse. (I like the whole film, and it's got the best cover version of "Across The Universe" [by Fiona Apple] that I've ever heard.) I've seen it on video, dubbed into Spanish, as well as in original American (cut up into 10 minute "chapters" - and missing one chapter) on YouTube.

I don't remember anything poly about that movie! Who was she in a Vee with?
Watch it again, nycindie! (No, listen: if you don't think that it's worth watching again, let me know and I'll answer your question via a personal message. I really don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.) But a hint about the poly aspect: pay attention to the courtroom scene and the bench scene mentioned already...
I'm going to watch the trailer again now. I cried (not sad tears! - it's a very emotionally charged film) when I did a few minutes ago.

I doubt I'll watch it again unless it comes on TV late at night or something. I remember thinking it was okay but didn't like it so much that I'd want to see it again. From watching the trailer I kinda get the idea about Jeff Daniels' character. But was it poly or just temptation?

Thanks for the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid reference. Funny -- my husband just came up with it on his own the other day, and now we are using it as a fun reference for our own V. It is so fun to use the psuedo names and laugh about the gunslinging and all :) I have never even seen the movie yet! Watched some snippets on Youtube. We're going to watch it this weekend. I am grateful for the model for my husband -- I mean, who can say Robert Redford is anything but cool in this movie?!? And my husband actually looks a LOT like him.

"Gloomy Sunday" (1999) (Ein Lied von Liebe und Tod).

From imdb: "Budapest in the thirties. The restaurant owner Laszlo hires the pianist András to play in his restaurant. Both men fall in love with the beautiful waitress Ilona who inspires András to his only composition. His song of Gloomy Sunday is, at first, loved and then feared, for its melancholic melody triggers off a chain of suicides. The fragile balance of the erotic ménage à trois is sent off kilter when the German Hans goes and falls in love with Ilona as well. "

There is a wonderful scene in which the woman is out with one of the two men, and the other man sees them together. She kisses each of them in turn, and from then on they just accept that they both love her and she loves both of them.

Also contains one of the best subtitle errors I have ever seen: "Clam yourself!"

Poly Movies

Anyone know any movies/films that have a poly element? (not group sex/swinging)
I know I've seen some (some foriegn), just can't place them.

So list your poly movies...

Whatever Works

Ahh, now I'm in the right thread. Thanks!

The Edukators
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408777/
It's German, I loved it!
With a happy ending and all! :)

I really agree with this statement! It is a great movie. The only thing was it was somewhat difficult to place the connecting point in the relationship.

You might assume it was the woman, but the movie seems to hint on the blond hair guy. Either way I like the ending and if the characters were real, I would want them to stay together.

Summer Lovers is a fun and extremely uplifting 1980s film starring Darryl Hannah about an ffm triad that forms while a formerly mono couple is on vacation in Greece. It's my go-to film when I'm feeling crummy about being poly.

The "Polyamory: Married and Dating" series makes me feel good too.

I didn't realize Alfred Kinsey's story would have a poly aspect. I'll have to put that on my "movie wish list."

My favorite poly shows so far:

• "December Bride" (1990).
  • "A Small Circle of Friends" (1980).
  • "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" (2008).
  • "Bandits" (2001).
  • "Paint Your Wagon" (1969).
  • "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (1969).
  • "Summer Lovers" (1982).
  • "Threesome" (1994).
  • "Three" (2010).
And "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" (1988) has a certain poly flavor, especially at the end.

I've loved Paint Your Wagon since I was a little girl. I thought it was because of how feminist it is, but now... I like it even more :)

Back