Looking ahead - St Valentines Day

darksilence

First, I wanted to thank all of you who have read and responded to my previous postings.

This will be my first valentine's day as part of a triad poly group and i'm curious how other tribes/family groupings/teams celebrate and spend the day. i know there's a number of people out there who don't bother - maybe most poly groupings are like this.

i'm kinda thinking of doing something geeky like getting us all a video game we can play together or even booking a lane at the local bowling alley. we've not been together long and there have been a lot of trials and tribulations we've overcome to get this far - i feel it deserves a celebration and that this is kinda a good excuse to do it now rather than later.

what are your plans, if any? if not, why?

not trying to start a big debate, just light-hearted chatter. :p

BB,

DarkSilence

This will be my first valentine's day as part of a triad poly group and i'm curious how other tribes/family groupings/teams celebrate and spend the day. i know there's a number of people out there who don't bother - maybe most poly groupings are like this.

I usually don't bother. I have never been a huge fan of valentines day. I try to be romantic most of the time, having corporate america telling me a specific day to be doesn't really do it for me

I usually don't bother. I have never been a huge fan of valentines day. I try to be romantic most of the time, having corporate america telling me a specific day to be doesn't really do it for me

Me too.

I do have one caveat - I remind my husband how lucky he is that he doesn't have to do anything or get anything for me JUST because it's a certain date. All our partnered male friends are required by their women to jump through rings of fire and if they get ONE LITTLE THING wrong, they suffer. To me, a "lovers' holiday" should not be about emotional blackmail.

He does remember our anniversary because he was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, although he left the cult years before we met (AND because our anniversary is 03-03-03), and the only thing they are allowed to celebrate are weddings and wedding anniversaries.

But other than that, we just do thoughtful things for one another all throughout the year. We don't have other partners at this time, so that's not an issue.

Last edited:
I have never celebrated Valentine`s Day.

Similiar thought process as stated above. Maybe if I didn`t have 2 men who spoil and pamper me on a whim, fairly often, I might feel differently.

I can see how others like it though. So don`t let us anti-Valentines' people spoil what sounds like something you are excited about. I say you go with your plan, and enjoy !

Although nll and I are romantic plenty on other times of year, we have never failed to take advantage of any specials that are actually (surprisingly with some businesses) truly economically advantageous ways to pamper each other (like a spa special with his and hers massages or restaurants that are holding a seasonal special). However we aren't specifically doing those things because of Valentine's day, just taking advantage of it. And we usually avoid going out on the actual day because things are so over-crowded then.

Looks like my contacts on polymatch fizzled out, but then, that makes poly dating not different at all from singles dating.

To anyone who is planning a big St. Valentine's day - have fun!

We will probably act like a couple would. Dinner out someplace nice and romantic...with cards and maybe a small gift for each other. (Not necessarily candy or roses but probably something more useful...a nice new shirt or shoes, etc.)

The main issue I think we'll have is that most restaurants around here serve a special "Prixe Fixe menu for two" on Valentines, instead of their normal menu. We'll have to do our homework and find someplace that isn't doing that...or at least allows a modification for three. ;)
(And add the fact that I don't eat red meat, and C doesn't like seafood...needless to say we got work to do! :D )

Last edited:
We will probably act like a couple would. Dinner out someplace nice and romantic...with cards and maybe a small gift for each other. (Not necessarily candy or roses but probably something more useful...a nice new shirt or shoes, etc.)

The main issue I think we'll have is that most restaurants around here serve a special "Prixe Fixe menu for two" on Valentines, instead of their normal menu. We'll have to do our homework and find someplace that isn't doing that...or at least allows a modification for three. ;)
(And add the fact that I don't eat red meat, and C doesn't like seafood...needless to say we got work to do! :D )

You could do it the day before or the day after and enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere and more menu options.

My whole issue with V-Day has to do with "You gotta do it ON THE DAY". I have no issue with celebrating the IDEA of a lovers' holiday, but it doesn't have to be OMG ON TEH DAI that popular culture dictates.

Going out to eat on Valentines day, you're crushed in there because restaurants are trying to fit in as many two-tops as they can, they have reservations back-to back, so you can't take your time because they need the table by a certain time, the waitstaff usually hates working because despite the fact that they earn tips, they are still dealing with fussy people all day long who need everything to be perfect, women who want their dressing on the side and men who are wondering if this will be good enough to get them a blow job AND some pussy... You get the idea.

Last edited:
i'm kinda thinking of doing something geeky like getting us all a video game we can play together or even booking a lane at the local bowling alley. we've not been together long and there have been a lot of trials and tribulations we've overcome to get this far - i feel it deserves a celebration and that this is kinda a good excuse to do it now rather than later.

I think this idea is absolutely great. I think it shows your desire to have fun and spend time with your partners which means more than any cheezy VDay tradition. Then again I have a very warped sense of what is romantic :p.

Usually we do the Valentine's Day thing.

This year I already sent an email to both guys telling them that I don't want flowers, gifts, dinner, cards etc. If they want to give me a Valentine's Day gift they can put the $$ towards my expenses for going to Victoria this summer.

I will still probably get them each a card.

My FAVORITE gift is in a drawer as an "untouchable".
Last year Maca got me a ring, then gave it to me with a card that said it was from "them", signed by both of them.
But within days there was a fight when it came out that he didn't WANT it to be that way, just thought I'd take it better if it were (which was hogwash) and all hell broke loose.
I returned the ring adn told him to keep it. Never touched it since.

Just THINKING about this year was making me sick until I decided I was going to Victoria this summer and sent that email.

So, no dinner, flowers, cards, candy etc here. Will probably be at home with the many kiddos unless Spicy Pea goes into labor (I'd laugh so hard if she had a valentine's day baby). Then we'll be at the birthing center....
:rolleyes:

i'm kinda thinking of doing something geeky like getting us all a video game we can play together or even booking a lane at the local bowling alley.
I like your idea of an outing, like going bowling or doing some other fun thing. I think that seems more celebratory than sitting at home playing a game.

I usually never even give V-Day a thought. Never cared about it before I was married, nor while I was married. Now I'm wondering what the hell I will be doing on that day this year.

Last edited:
The only plan so far is at the end of the month when Derby and I plan to go for dinner and then dancing with our friends... the dinner part is the valentine's part. Other than that, no plan has been made... we go on a lot of dates already, so it wouldn't be much different... maybe a token of love some how... which we also do ofter... pooey, can't think what would be different than any other time really.

Indigo and I don't care much for V day, so he's already said Mr. A can "have it" if it's important to him.

I don't think we'll be doing anything special, assuming he's still in town at that point.

i think bowling is a great idea. u can get everyone cute little red and white beaded necklaces..yes, i'm geeky like that too, lol.

or recently, my boyfriend, his wife and our children..8 all together!! went ice skating and had a great time.

i highly recommend iceskating.

go for it and have fun!!!!

Well, V-day was my husband's birthday, so there was never an option to celebrate there while we were together... And it's my boyfriend's anniversary with his spouse, so I don't feel right joining in on that.... so I've never really had any particular traditions.

I like the idea of Valentines, about the same as I like the idea of most holidays. I gotta say, though, what I would want is a cheezy homemade card with red paper hearts and doilies and bad poetry (Think: OMG, BBQ. Don't you know that I love u?), pink candy popcorn and movie in for the whole family.

I think your ideas are GREAT! I'd be happy to be treated that way! ;)

I don't have strong feelings about Valentine's day, but my primary invited my girlfriend and me to come with her to an event, so we're celebrating together this year. We've been coming out to more people; people we all know are also going to be at this dinner, so it's a good opportunity for us to step a little further out of our closet. Exciting!

Thank you for everyone's replies!

LovingRadience, i'm sorry to hear your experience last year turned out so upsetting. i hope that whatever happens this year, its better for you.

its interesting to see how different groups handle events differently. i'm not so bothered by the idea of a romantic night for us - just getting a night out for us, i think would be really good and as i said - this is a great excuse! we've not really been on a date all three of us yet so it should be a good laugh.

i've booked us a lane at the local bowling alley (they have an arcade there too - is it sad that i'm looking forward to beating my girlfriend's ass at street fighter? ) which i've told her about for us to surprise him with. and now i'm in talks with him to book a nice dinner somewhere for us to surprise her with. *giggles and claps* i love it when a plan comes together! (think i need a cigar now)

i happened to be in the card shop today and saw matching cards - but i think that would be going much too far.

details on the cards, because now you're making me doubt..

they have images of the King/Queen of hearts card from a standard deck on the cover and then respectively "you're my king/queen of hearts" written inside. total cheese-ville. i just kinda liked them because they were so instantly recognizable as a pair. (or maybe the beginning of a full-house - har har)

there was another card that attracted my attention which said on the cover in big words "i love your penis" and in little words at the bottom "you're not so bad either" - obviously a joke and all three of us have that kinda humour. unfortunately there wasnt one that referred to a Vajayjay (its sad but i find that word So amusing)... perhaps i should create one. :p

I keep threatening to get Mr. A a V Day card:

Roses are red...
Violets are Blue...
I love her...
and so do you...

Back