12-Hour Edit-Window, Abbreviations, and Stickies, Oh My!

Clearheart

There needs to be a page devoted to all the abbreviations and lingo for us newbies!
Thanx for the advice, patience is a virtue i am still trying to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
There needs to be a page devoted to all the abbreviations and lingo for us newbies!
Thanx for the advice, patience is a virtue i am still trying to learn.

There is. No one ever bothers to read it. There are also forum usage rules and no one ever bothers to read those either. It never ceases to amaze me how resourceful people can be when it comes to googling, finding this forum, registering, and figurring out how to post a wall o'woe, but their reading and written communication skills seem to be a one way street when it comes to reading what has already been written uere by others.

I take this Personally because i have done a lot to try to organize the information on here so that it is easy to find, and i know redpepper has done the same when it comes to tagging threads. I tend to receive it somewhat disrespectfully when someone comes on and asks "how do i deal with jealousy" or "does anyone have any coming-out stories" etc. because that tells me they haven't done any browsing arou d the forum as these two topics are both tagged and in Golden Nuggets. Golden Nuggets is right in the main directory on the main page of the forum and it says right underneath it "Posts worthwhile to read". How someone "can't find it" makes me wonder how you find the stuff to register and post here in the first place.

Maybe i'm extremely intelligent, which is something i have been told but i dont FEEL exremely intelligent just because i am able to take one aspect of daily functioning and apply it to something tangentially related. In other words, it really is not hard to find shit on the internet, and the forum is part of the internet, so THEREFORE it is not hard to find shit on the forum.

The End.

ever considered that some people are not savy with these forums , that it may be their first time on and that navigating a website is not easy for everyone, some people need a bit of time to figure it out. Try compassion for these people. This is why i don't bother with talking online, you can't tell exactly a persons tone when it is just written.
seeya:eek:

ever considered that some people are not savy with these forums , that it may be their first time on and that navigating a website is not easy for everyone, some people need a bit of time to figure it out. Try compassion for these people. This is why i don't bother with talking online, you can't tell exactly a persons tone when it is just written.
seeya:eek:

Sorry you're offended.

I just don't buy that and i explained why in my previous post.

Having said that, i apologize for interrupting the flow of conversation. I know this will be used against me at some point.

sigh.

When you post things like this is scares off newbies. I did not read all the forum abbrev's and lingo. I did not read every single solitary rule either. I was more interested in asking for help in situations I can't talk to anyone about. I was chastised for merely calling "polyamory" a lifestyle. At this point I'm done with this forum after reading a lot of the snarky, snippy, cliquey, high schoolish, "I'm smarter and better than everyone" answers.

There is. No one ever bothers to read it. There are also forum usage rules and no one ever bothers to read those either. It never ceases to amaze me how resourceful people can be when it comes to googling, finding this forum, registering, and figurring out how to post a wall o'woe, but their reading and written communication skills seem to be a one way street when it comes to reading what has already been written uere by others.

I take this Personally because i have done a lot to try to organize the information on here so that it is easy to find, and i know redpepper has done the same when it comes to tagging threads. I tend to receive it somewhat disrespectfully when someone comes on and asks "how do i deal with jealousy" or "does anyone have any coming-out stories" etc. because that tells me they haven't done any browsing arou d the forum as these two topics are both tagged and in Golden Nuggets. Golden Nuggets is right in the main directory on the main page of the forum and it says right underneath it "Posts worthwhile to read". How someone "can't find it" makes me wonder how you find the stuff to register and post here in the first place.

Maybe i'm extremely intelligent, which is something i have been told but i dont FEEL exremely intelligent just because i am able to take one aspect of daily functioning and apply it to something tangentially related. In other words, it really is not hard to find shit on the internet, and the forum is part of the internet, so THEREFORE it is not hard to find shit on the forum.

The End.

Don't Go.

At this point I'm done with this forum after reading a lot of the snarky, snippy, cliquey, high schoolish, "I'm smarter and better than everyone" answers.

Please don't run off away from here just because of one or two participants not being especially compatible to your style. There are people of every style and kind in here, and some of them need your input and support.:)

My point is not that people don't read it. My point is that people complain that it's hard to find, and say that is why they don't read it.

If you've posted a thread in General Discussions, that tells me you know how to find the "General Discussions" forum. Don't tell me that people think their thread is the first and only thread in General Discussions. There are other threads there, and at the top, there are "sticky" threads (ones that are ALWAYS at the top). We have put redundant links to these all over the place. It's not so that people HAVE to read all of them before they can ask a question. However, you SHOULD read "every single solitary rule" because there might be one in there that APPLIES to you - such as the one that says you have 12 hours to edit or delete a post? Perhaps if more people read that we wouldn't be getting a request to delete posts every other day from people who think they are so special the rules don't apply to them. Then they complain that the rules are "hard to find". Horsefeathers.

My point is not that people don't read it. My point is that people complain that it's hard to find, and say that is why they don't read it.

If you've posted a thread in General Discussions, that tells me you know how to find the "General Discussions" forum. Don't tell me that people think their thread is the first and only thread in General Discussions. There are other threads there, and at the top, there are "sticky" threads (ones that are ALWAYS at the top). We have put redundant links to these all over the place. It's not so that people HAVE to read all of them before they can ask a question. However, you SHOULD read "every single solitary rule" because there might be one in there that APPLIES to you - such as the one that says you have 12 hours to edit or delete a post? Perhaps if more people read that we wouldn't be getting a request to delete posts every other day from people who think they are so special the rules don't apply to them. Then they complain that the rules are "hard to find". Horsefeathers.
I'm starting to appreciate you for your directness.

First off just because people dont read it does not mean you should make them feel like total morons. This is a great way to lose new members, so if your happy with only the people here now then so be it.

Secondly I DID look for an answer and what I found was conflicting and so I wanted to clarify which is why I asked. God forbid I ask about a rule that was conflicted IN YOUR FAQ'S. How dare I do something so ignorant, I definitely need to be made to feel like an idiot. Thanks for that.

Here is what I found regarding editing deleting posts when I went to the FAQ'S and searched it

Can I edit or delete my posts?

If you have registered and are logged in, you may be able to edit and delete your posts (although the administrator may have turned off this option). Your ability to edit your posts may be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.

To edit or delete your posts, click the Edit button by the particular post. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting it may remove the entire thread.

Once you've made your modifications, a note may appear to inform other users that you have edited your post.

If the edit time and date appear as a link you can click on this to see the differences between the original and edited versions, or between edits if there have been multiple edits.

Can others edit my posts?

Administrators and moderators may also edit your messages. If they do, there may not be a note telling other users that the post was modified.

If the rule is that YOU CAN'T edit your posts after 12 hours than this verbage needs to be changed to say JUST THAT. This verbage leaves it open that maybe/maybe not.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is the VBulletin FAQ. It comes standard with the forum software. It is not the same as the polyamory.com forum rules. I had no idea there was this conflicting information in there. I will report this to Autumnal Tone who is the one who edits the rules, and to Imaginary Illusion who has access to admin utilities.

Sorry i made you feel like a total moron. Is there anything i can say that will make you feel like a total genius, as a way of making it up to you?:cool:

First off just because people dont read it does not mean you should make them feel like total morons. This is a great way to lose new members, so if your happy with only the people here now then so be it.

Secondly I DID look for an answer and what I found was conflicting and so I wanted to clarify which is why I asked. God forbid I ask about a rule that was conflicted IN YOUR FAQ'S. How dare I do something so ignorant, I definitely need to be made to feel like an idiot. Thanks for that.

Here is what I found regarding editing deleting posts when I went to the FAQ'S and searched it

Can I edit or delete my posts?

If you have registered and are logged in, you may be able to edit and delete your posts (although the administrator may have turned off this option). Your ability to edit your posts may be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.

To edit or delete your posts, click the Edit button by the particular post. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting it may remove the entire thread.

Once you've made your modifications, a note may appear to inform other users that you have edited your post.

If the edit time and date appear as a link you can click on this to see the differences between the original and edited versions, or between edits if there have been multiple edits.

Can others edit my posts?

Administrators and moderators may also edit your messages. If they do, there may not be a note telling other users that the post was modified.

If the rule is that YOU CAN'T edit your posts after 12 hours than this verbage needs to be changed to say JUST THAT. This verbage leaves it open that maybe/maybe not.

Secondly I DID look for an answer and what I found was conflicting and so I wanted to clarify which is why I asked.

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1787

It's under User Guidelines, hon. The first bit says you have a limited time to edit your posts. Then the third post on that thread, Neon has posted in huge letters, "12 hours."

You're more than welcome here, as far as I am concerned. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Mags. I rescind my apology.if someone decides to feel like a "total idiot", that's fine by me.

Neon, you're such a brat. :p

Seems to me that ".. Your ability to edit your posts may be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum. ..." indicates that there may be a time limit on editing and one should check with the specific board rules to find out. This verbiage leaves nothing open to question, because it directs you to check for site-specific information...and when you check that, the 12-hour time limit is made clear.

I wish people would just own the fact that they didn't bother to read the rules because they were eager to start posting. I'd respect that as opposed to "Wah! I can't FIND it! You need to make things easier to find! You make me feel stupid!"

Last edited:
NK & AT have addressed the software general FAQ's. And as indicated they have also brought it to my attention as well.

Your ordeal does show that the general information in the FAQ's should be made more specific to this board, and the frustration of the mods indicates that while we have taken great pains to ensure that information is easy to find, we are obviously missing a critical path for a significant set of users including yourself.

I will look into adjusting the standard FAQ's to contain or point to more specific information to try and close that loop. One of the reasons I hadn't bothered was the pending upgrade to a newer version of vBulletin, but since there is no firm timetable on that, we'll adjust for the interim.

As this line of discussion really has little to do with the current thread, expect the related posts to be relocated to a more appropriate location.

gOOD Grief what is this HIGH SCHOOL? It's like a pack of "mean girls".

I agree it did indicate THERE MAY BE A TIME LIMIT and when I didn't see a time limit indicated IN THE FAQ'S ABOUT DELETING YOUR POSTS then I posted the question.

what a pack of unwelcoming people (with the exception of the people that have not attacked me over silly things like saying "the polyamorous lifestyle" or asking a question that YOUR FAQ's left unclear. Do you treat people in your every day life like this?

Seems to me that ".. Your ability to edit your posts may be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum. ..." indicates that there may be a time limit on editing and one should check with the specific board rules to find out. This verbiage leaves nothing open to question, because it directs you to check for site-specific information...and when you check that, the 12-hour time limit is made clear.

I agree it did indicate THERE MAY BE A TIME LIMIT and when I didn't see a time limit indicated IN THE FAQ'S ABOUT DELETING YOUR POSTS then I posted the question.

My issue is not with you asking that particular question. I do recall quizzing you about why you'd post something if you're planning to delete it. However, asking that question was the right thing to do and I was hoping (and still do hope) that other people will see it and if they are wondering the same, they will get their answer. But as we have seen, many people "can't find" or don't read that section of the forum and there isn't any way to make it stand out more. Maybe we could increase the font size?

Anyway, Imapolygirlmaybe, there are a BUNCH of other people BESIDES YOU (and you all know who you are) who have private-messaged the moderators over the duration whining about how they didn't read the rules or "couldn't find" them or "didn't know" and now they regret what they posted and could the moderators delete all my posts so my parents/OSO/kids/employer/soon-to-be-ex's attorney won't see it kthxbai.

So, this is not about YOU. You are actually one of the smart ones in this scenario because you ASKED BEFORE you did something foolish or impulsive. But by all means, keep calling me a "mean girl" if it suits you to do so.

Back