Live Chat Feature?

River

Over time, some folks in here have indicated that they'd like to have a live chat feature for www.polyamory.com .

Is this something you'd like to see?

(I don't know if we can do it, but we might try!)

yep!

OMG YES YES YES YES (wow that was awesome)

Seriously-yes I think that would be awesome. As it is I tend to sit on the "whose online" board and watch where they are looking/posting, then chasing the posters on the threads they are on so I can actually communicate with people online.

I think it would be wonderful to be able to do that!

I already do that on FB but you can only do it with one person at a time.:eek:

(Mono probably won't like the chat room)

Are we talking chat room or individual instant messaging? If I had to choose I'd choose the latter. I find chat rooms on sites that are dedicated like this generally aren't as useful.

Are we talking chat room or individual instant messaging? If I had to choose I'd choose the latter.

Individual instant messaging (IIM) would certainly be good!

For those who don't know, IMM allows folks to invite live text conversation outside of the forum.

I think IIM should be easy enough to add to the forum and that it's a higher priority than a chat room. But both would be cool! Nobody'd be forced to use either.

As someone new to this forum and also in the beginning (oh please hope hope hope) of a poly relationship - I would find it very beneficial to be able to "talk" with someone with some prior knowledge of how this works (beginning and maintaining a poly relationship).

Personally I would love to see a chat section or IMM, but if a new person asks a 'redundant' question and is made to feel unwelcome for it, it would serve no purpose.

Being sent to search the archives isn't feasable for most people with todays busy lifestyles. To be greeted with such a response only turns people away before you even know if they have something to contribute. Having more than one chat/IMM forum may be better where new people can ask questions and hopefully receive valuable info, as well as the 'experienced' chat/IMM.

If someone finds a question to 'redundant' don't respond, but don't make a newbie feel unwelcome for not knowing what you may have been asked a year previous!

Olivier hasn't logged on in a while, and hasn't said a word in the Moderator's Forum. I'm merely a moderator, and have no independent decision-making powers. Also, I'm busier now with my life outside the forum that I used to be. There's only so much I can do here.

Olivier is the site owner, and things progress here at his pace and by his decision. I recommend that folks desirous of new features or forums write to Olivier directly at [email protected] . Remember, three letters is more persuasive than one. So don't be bashful, folks!

I'm all for the live chat feature just as long as you can easily turn it on or off. :)

The chatroom for seasoned members... (hahaha)......may be a slippery slope. (HAHAHA)

Would I be allowed in? I have enough posts for "senior"status but have never been in a polyamourous relationship per se. I just wonder how that would work. Also, how could the chatroom benefit the community? I'm sure with a bunch of us on there some awesome trains of thought would develop. Just thinking...

If someone finds a question to 'redundant' don't respond, but don't make a newbie feel unwelcome for not knowing what you may have been asked a year previous!

What is the solution to this? It seems to be a big issue and I can see the point of both sides. Just so you all know, this "place" is very important to me. I do see it as a community. My inclination is to feel maternal toward terrified and clumsy polywogs (I love that fucking word), and to either not answer or give a short answer saying "welcome, read lots". But there has to be a better way to get people up to speed. Some barrier between cruising the internet and the sign-up process that educates the newbies.

My suggestion: When someone becomes a member, a welcome e-mail or private message is sent to their inbox. It has links to definition post,rules, other stickies, and information on using the search feature. ("If you have a question, you can also use the search feature which is located...")
Maybe even language such as, "Once you've settled in, feel free to introduce yourself to the group" or similar. Really clear and encouraging.

Great ideas rarechild! I will be sad at the thought that there may be no history. I look back all the time at stuff I've said and what others say. I fear it will all be lost and unattainable.
Just emailed Oliver about a new forum and IM. Thanks for giving us the info river.

My suggestion: When someone becomes a member, a welcome e-mail or private message is sent to their inbox. It has links to definition post,rules, other stickies, and information on using the search feature. ("If you have a question, you can also use the search feature which is located...")
Maybe even language such as, "Once you've settled in, feel free to introduce yourself to the group" or similar. Really clear and encouraging.

This is a great idea. I'm all for accessibility and open welcoming communication. An auto-generated e-mail seems to be a great solution for all of that. And I really like the spirit behind the idea :)

Would I be allowed in? I have enough posts for "senior" status but have never been in a polyamourous relationship per se.

"Seasoned" poly folk are those who either have had lots of "hands on" experience with Multiple Simultanious Loverly Relationships (MSLRs) ... [wink, wink] or persons with much experience working with and through the many issues and psychological/emotional "stuff" involved -- and who also have a poly agreement or understanding with their existing partner (if now in a dyad).

You and I are quite qualified, RC. :)

"Seasoned" poly folk are those who either have had lots of "hands on" experience with Multiple Simultanious Loverly Relationships (MSLRs) ... [wink, wink] or persons with much experience working with and through the many issues and psychological/emotional "stuff" involved -- and who also have a poly agreement or understanding with their existing partner (if now in a dyad).

You and I are quite qualified, RC. :)

*ahem*

:p

Back