Restless Heart snydrome:cause or effect?

. . . all kinds of stuff that the other partner is supposed to suck up and deal with . . .

People do the most wretched things in the name of "love".

But a thread about it - that would be too pessimistic, wouldn't it?

I think it would be great to get that stuff out in the open.

There should be a thread about the darker side of poly because i agree that there is a panacea attitude that poly just means more love and how can you go wrong with more love? While there is all kinds of stuff that the other partner is supposed to suck up and deal with (even if they are also poly-minded) because it's all about more love so how could that be a bad thing.

You read my mind again lady. Be very careful. There isn`t a whole lot of material up there, you might run out of things to read. :p

If anyone wants to TRULY roll up their sleeves, and get real about the effects and consequences of their actions, then yes, a darker-side of poly will enable the board to be much more objective. Like any other thread, if people don`t like it, they dont have to respond to it.

Or, we can all carry on like normal. With convos manipulating monos into our thinking, and talking about how everyone is actually REALLY poly cause bonobo monkeys do it on the discovery channel, and take all our cues, from stories after the shit hits the fan. :rolleyes:

I just want everyone to know that i was referring to OTHER people, not anyone here of course, and certainly not myself because i am perfect and do not make mistakes. I just can't prove it because how does one "prove" something doesn't exist? It's not as easy as proving something DOES exist. Like god, for example. Prove god DOESN'T exist. That's right - you can't, can you!

I love the success stories but I'm not a polyanna, either (haha on the poly pun):rolleyes: It's hard to hear the bitter side of it, but pretending it doesn't exist is not exactly realistic, is it?

It is easy to see from D's original post how poly can be interpreted by a mono partner. It helps to make me more sensitive to my husband's feelings.

I only have a minute to post but one thing I did want to comment on was the whole, "It's not you, it's me" concept. Although you got the impression (and I guess the explicit message???) that is was YOU. Nonetheless, I think it's always some sort of mixture, is it not? Be the best you that you can be -- what else can you do?

RP

Ditto see above..... also Carma's comments

Her biggest Offense ....really ....that's a very enlightened arm chair view.
I'm really surprised you want to weigh in like this ...knowing what you know.

Isn't your whole relationship with mono more or less predicated on the RHS (Restless Heart Syndrome).... "at some point we know this will end" ????

The concept of serial cheater using poly for cover has been discussed to death ....so why is what I said so untrue or inaccurate.
sorry, I don't really get what you are saying here. You are asking me questions, but I don't really get what the hell you are talking about. lol. As to my life? That has nothing to do with yours.... soooooo, why bring it up. *confused* :confused:

There should be a thread about the darker side of poly because i agree that there is a panacea attitude that poly just means more love and how can you go wrong with more love? While there is all kinds of stuff that the other partner is supposed to suck up and deal with (even if they are also poly-minded) because it's all about more love so how could that be a bad thing.

I hear what you're saying, Neon, but "sucking it up" is the exact opposite of what is recommended. Being open and honest is the opposite of sucking things up.

This might be that thread. God knows my first foray into poly with my ex was rather a disaster, leading to me going on Zoloft for a year, and therapy for 3 years. But 10 years later, it's going fine (more or less), with a different primary and address!

sorry, I don't really get what you are saying here. You are asking me questions, but I don't really get what the hell you are talking about. lol. As to my life? That has nothing to do with yours.... soooooo, why bring it up. *confused* :confused:

Dinged has done that to me and Cindie as well (made assumptions about our marriages/relationships). I guess he is looking for parallels to give him some sort of template to go on.

Dinged has done that to me and Cindie as well (made assumptions about our marriages/relationships). I guess he is looking for parallels to give him some sort of template to go on.

Yes, and it seems that the whole fucking purpose of this thread is to say that polyamory causes so much pain and heartache and aren't we all just a bunch of schmucks for going along with it when a partner wants it. When it's the people who do that to each other, not the fault of a structure for relationship.

Yes, and it seems that the whole fucking purpose of this thread is to say that polyamory causes so much pain and heartache and aren't we all just a bunch of schmucks for going along with it when a partner wants it. When it's the people who do that to each other, not the fault of a structure for relationship.

If the OP is indeed saying that people are "schmucks" for going along with poly when a partner wants it, then by definition, the OP is also a "schmuck".

I agree that it does come across as if that is what the OP is saying.

But it doesn't go down with all of us that we're just going along with something to please our partners or doing something despite our partners' reservations.

So, again - it's a good idea for everyone to speak for themselves, not speak for others or rely on others to do their speaking for them.

Hi Love...DH is merely repeating things that we have said in the past during times of struggle around mono/poly. We've stated and implied this several times.

We all know the issues around his wife's actions and the fallout of her carelessness. That was her main offence for lack of a better term.

But it doesn't go down with all of us that we're just going along with something to please our partners or doing something despite our partners' reservations.

@NeonKaos, I completely agree.

DH, I have always felt multiple in my love and desires. Society forces us to choose monogamy or pressures us to not enter into committed relationships if we refuse. Heteropatriarchal supremacy rules, still. Personally, I've rejected marriage despite making commitments because I didn't want that extra layer of expectations on me. I've never been in a mono/poly relationship as you describe, although there were periods where it may have looked or felt like "mono," but that was out of desire for it, not compulsion.

I'm new here, don't know all the backstories and such, but here are some thoughts.

Relationships are work, they're joy, pain, security and risk. I've lived and worked through the full spectrum of amazingly wonderful to incredibly hurtful over the years.

From what you've said, it sounds like it's just not healthy for you to be in your relationship any longer. I'm struggling with that question myself, but not from a place of lashing out. What can get you to that place of peace with yourself to really think about what your needs are? Of evaluating whether what you have is really right for you? It sounds like you're afraid -- of losing her, perhaps of not finding another, I don't know.

Honestly, I think you're wrong to blame poly or non-monogamous relationships. And, "restless heart syndrome" -- the name implies that it's an illness. Multiple desires is not an illness. People grow and change. The issue is about you and your wife and what you have together. I would guess many of those issues would be there whether you were poly or mono. I agree some of the lines she gave you sounds like BS. I've never liked that kind of talk ("you can't meet all my needs" etc.), it doesn't seem honest. I'd rather hear, "I like this person and I still love you." From your side of it, she doesn't sound like she's taking you into consideration. That's not cool. Bottom line though is you need to do things for yourself and I don't mean that in a being selfish way, but in a what is important to your happiness way.

Nycindie

Thank you for the explanation for your original post. I understand what you meant. I'd like to take a second and explain how I came to my response.

I asked a general question and the first thing you commented on is the conversation. As I read your comments I was thinking.....No.. she was very honestly telling me how she felt.... and I was honestly listening to her new point of view ...no other choice....as for connection ....very hard to judge even now ...I would say I felt less connected as time went on ..

Then you steered the focus to my relationship and wife .....you wanted to have a conversation about that ..... when I was thinking in a more general sense.

As the day has worn on the "fucking purpose " has come into question. As I said earlier this was born out of a fire side chat on relationships.....I didn't coin the phrase ...there were several doctors there so it could have been one of them.....One guy is an actuarial consultant who we asked if he knew of the average shelve life of typical suburban relationship...with x y z parameters. I formulated the question from my own experience no doubt. Plug in freetime's early experience or Carma's husband or Vodkafan's story if it helps....

RP

I was very surprised by your comments after the hundreds perhaps thousands of personal stories that you've read and all those you have counseled here on the forum. To have you stamp ditto on cindies comment and then add your judgement as to what you thought was my wife's biggest offense seem very dismissive.....I think Sourgirl picked up on that as well.

My comment about your relationship was an attempt to say ....wait its relevant ....right in your own backyard see. I'm glad mono saw the connection ....or at least the reason for my comment. Not an attack or parallel to my life at all....sorry you took it as such.

Neonkaos

My original question and thought never had the "shmuck factor" in it.. Now am I a shmuck ...like to thing not ......Have I felt like a shmuck ...fuck YES but here again that wouldn't be specific to poly. I'm there for my friends..relatives ..and employees....I generally will do what I can day or night ...people know this and so have I been taken advantage of you bet several times ....especially family members but I always like to think the best of someone ...if I loan money I do it not expecting it back .... I gave my sister $2800 so my nephew could continue at a private high school ....I was told I'd paid back in a month or 2 .....Yr later ....shmuck ....well maybe ....I never really thought I'd be paid back so WTF ....I've never mentioned it ...and they haven't either.

Derby
thanks for the validation ....I greatly appreciate it.

My situation has more or less resolved itself and so none of those things cause pain or resentment... However I've been told that when I tell stories I'm very dramatic and animated ...more or less relive the event or story ...maybe that's what happened here ....thanks for the insight.
I'm just think how could one write those types of conversations any other way ....without deliberately trying to spin it ...

Sourgirl
Thanks for you for all your comments, insight and experience. I think you are a real asset to this forum. love the Earnie Larson quote.

Thats all I can think of ..... Hope you all have a great fun packed weekend.... enjoy D

Then you steered the focus to my relationship and wife .....you wanted to have a conversation about that ..... when I was thinking in a more general sense.

I didn't want any specific direction for the discussion. I simply gave my feedback, keeping your situation in mind -- since it was you who started the thread and not anyone else.

I also really like what Chimera added to the thread. Good stuff, especially this:
And, "restless heart syndrome" -- the name implies that it's an illness. Multiple desires is not an illness. People grow and change. The issue is about you and your wife and what you have together. I would guess many of those issues would be there whether you were poly or mono. I agree some of the lines she gave you sounds like BS. I've never liked that kind of talk ("you can't meet all my needs" etc.), it doesn't seem honest. I'd rather hear, "I like this person and I still love you." From your side of it, she doesn't sound like she's taking you into consideration. That's not cool. Bottom line though is you need to do things for yourself and I don't mean that in a being selfish way, but in a what is important to your happiness way.

I still don't know what "Restless Heart Syndrome" is supposed to be describing. Is it wanting polyamory, or to move on to a different relationship? It sounds like someone who wants to keep moving. What does it mean to you?

Last edited:
The question.... is restless heart syndrome the cause or the effect?

Do people find poly..... out of boredom, or narcissistic ...self entitlement or the idea of self discovery( I've always been this way) that occurs after years of mono relationships.

If I'm not mistaken, this was the original point of this thread. I am completely guilty of missing the point amongst all the examples that were in the original post.

I think it is very likely a combination of factors and each person will probably have a different combination of answers.

Ditto, it seemed to me the biggest offense of hers was the BDSM she was involved in, not the poly so much. Was she really saying she is into that and wasn't able to say so for some reason? Perhaps because you would react?
RP

I was very surprised by your comments after the hundreds perhaps thousands of personal stories that you've read and all those you have counseled here on the forum. To have you stamp ditto on cindies comment and then add your judgement as to what you thought was my wife's biggest offense seem very dismissive.....I think Sourgirl picked up on that as well.

My comment about your relationship was an attempt to say ....wait its relevant ....right in your own backyard see. I'm glad mono saw the connection ....or at least the reason for my comment. Not an attack or parallel to my life at all....sorry you took it as such.
I'm sorry if you misunderstood, but I meant my original comment in terms of YOUR perspective, not mine. I believed from your other threads here that YOU believed her offence was the BDSM aspect of her other relationship life that you didn't know about at the time. Specifically coming to light when your child found pictures/text she had on her computer (Etc). I believed that you had an issue with that, not so much the poly at that time. Poly and BDSM don't come hand in hand for everyone. I was trying to clarify with you so as to understand what you were asking.

You came here to begin with to understand and come to terms with her being poly and having a boyfriend.... You were dealing with that as best you could. The BDSM seemed to put you over the edge. From what I gather she didn't tell you about that stuff. What I was asking YOU (in my original post) is, do you think she didn't tell you because she knew you well enough that she figured you would lose it....?

As to the question of "restless heart syndrome." I don't know what that is... is it a medical term? Is it a diagnosis that can be found in the DSM? Is it an actual syndrome? You are asking a person who deals with a hell of a lot of "syndromes" in my line of work.... "downs syndrome" being the most well known as an example... I'm just wondering if you have a link that would direct me to some knowledge about restless heart syndrome that would help me understand the question more.

"Narcissism" I am familiar with, but again I would have a hard time answering as I am only familiar with it in terms of actual diagnosis and in terms of understanding my mother. If you are asking if I, or anyone else here came into poly because we are narcissistic then I would have to answer that for me the answer would be no... I don't have that diagnosis....

"Boredom," "self entitlement"... hm, interesting. It was a long time ago and I don't believe that I was bored with my wife at the time I understood who I was. I have always had the ability to love more than one person, I just didn't realize that it was okay to show that and that people actually identify as being non-monogamous rather than monogamous. To me it was like saying "I'm bi-sexual." It just is.

I find it very confusing and bizarre to think of my loving more than one person and creating a life with them and everyone else I am in a relationship with, in terms of entitlement and boredom. It would be like asking you if you you were bored of feeling entitled when you met and feel in love with your wife back in the day. I would hazard a guess that the answer would be no and would also be equally confusing no?

Hi Love...DH is merely repeating things that we have said in the past during times of struggle around mono/poly. We've stated and implied this several times.

We all know the issues around his wife's actions and the fallout of her carelessness. That was her main offence for lack of a better term.
Hi there love, you're going to have to school me on what these statements are, because I'm not getting it from what you have written here. What are the posts and what have I implied?

Sorry for the hyjack dinged... Mono can talk to me about it some time... unless its of utmost importance in terms of the questions you have. In which case I will wait for his response :)

Rp
I always thought I was very clear what my wife's big offense was .....judgement or lack of....stupidity. For the record once again.

No restless heart syndrome is not an actual medical condition along with the other colorful euphemisms ....seven year itch...wondering pee pee ...etc. ...it was someones invention to explain what happens to marriages after (x) years .... I'll try to find out which one of the drunken idiots came up with it and where they heard it .....I'm sure it wasn't coined by them either.

I'm not surprise at all that you and others don't see or understand what I was trying to get across because your relationships were based from the beginning on a non monogamous model. So this question or questions don't apply. You have to agree we got here from opposite directions.

As I said before.... this came out of a fire side chat that centered around a male friend of ours who repeatedly had affairs on his wife....which created a considerable amount of damage in his family and others in his life and practice as well. But he really doesn't seem to care enough to stop hurting those people.....there was a couple doctors present ...narcissism and self entitlement were throw up as possible reasons for such blatant disregard. I'm convinced my wife could have elements of narcissism, boredom, and self entitlement....those discussions we had were centered around what she wanted ...what she needed.....or rather her needs not being met....her being free to choose how to meet those needs .....her not belonging to me as possession .....her relationship with someone else doesn't effect her feelings for me....all very "self ".......centered..... conversations. Lots of sentences that started with I.... I'm not saying that was necessarily bad or wrong more as a fact....the way she chose to make her thoughts be known.

Your last paragraph asked if I felt bored or entitlement when I fell in love with my wife....correct? The thing that you might be missing here is I signed up for one thing then the rules of the game were being changed. Before long its not the same game anymore. You and yours knew the rules up front ....agreed to the the rules before the game started ....lots different don't you think? "I" want to change the rules now. Self entitlement...maybe ...maybe not?

Back