How did you meet your most recent partner?

Where did you meet your current partner(s)?

• Online (chatrooms, Facebook, forums, dating sites, online gaming...)

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Nightlife (bars, clubs, private parties, raves, shows...)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Work/school

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Through friends/existing partners

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Shared interests/hobbies (check this if you met them in a poly/BDSM/swinging event)

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Just started talking at a random public place

• During a holiday/trip

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Somewhere else

• Total voters

BlackUnicorn

Just wanted to a test theory AND the poll feature of the forums.

I recently read that an overwhelming majority of couples have met each other at work, online or in a bar/club. I was surprised because I thought the most common way to meet someone would be through existing friends and connections.

Anyhoo, maybe this could help someone who is wondering how to meet other polys in what are the most common places where they may be found.

(Don't worry about the headline, I posted this while I didn't know that you could have a multiple-choice polls. Also, I don't know how to search the forums for polls only, so don't know if there's already been one like this :().

Last edited:
We are in a quad. I met male DP on PMM and DH met female DP about the same time on okcupid. I really liked male DP so i added him to facebook and we were friends online for over a year before we actually met. female DP did some editing work for DH. kind of funny how we all came together.

I met my boyfriend, who is only at the time, in a ecoteric event in my best friends house. I was then with one woman who is jelous and she did't let me to be poly, and then we brake up, and now I am with this man, but we are still only two :(

I met my current lover at a bar but I didn't check off "night life" because it was at lunchtime and we were both there to eat. So it wasn't the typically expected bar pick-up. I chose "somewhere else" for him, because I was thinking of it as a restaurant.

Past lovers: I met Burnsy & Dreamy online (OKC), Shorty through a mutual friend who introduced us, and my husband at the post office.

I have, in my life, dated people I met at the laundromat, in the subway, on an interstate bus, and even while window-shopping on the street -- I strike up conversations with strangers in public places very easily! I've also been involved with neighbors and lots of guys I worked with or for (yes, a few of my bosses). So, for me, there's no set pattern. But I was thinking yesterday how I've never seen any possibilities at school.

PS - In my post-marriage life, I don't think of anyone as partners. I think of them as lovers. My ex-hub was my partner, and I don't know if I want another.

Last edited:
The wording doesn`t quite apply to me, but I`ll try to be clear in the interest of polls ! :)
I only have one 'partner', my husband, and I met him via online 11 years ago.
Of the two people I currently 'date' , one I met online 2 yrs ago, and the other I know from high school.

I met Gia and Eric at college, and met Davis at a gaming convention when we were teens (neeeerds).

PS - In my post-marriage life, I don't think of anyone as partners. I think of them as lovers. My ex-hub was my partner, and I don't know if I want another.

I only have one 'partner', my husband, and I met him via online 11 years ago.
Of the two people I currently 'date' , one I met online 2 yrs ago, and the other I know from high school.

Hmm, I thought partner was a nice, neutral term that meant "someone I am/have been sexual with", and then "life-partner" would carry the meaning of someone you actually are in cahoots with.

So much for assumptions *sigh*.

Hmm, I thought partner was a nice, neutral term that meant "someone I am/have been sexual with", and then "life-partner" would carry the meaning of someone you actually are in cahoots with.

So much for assumptions *sigh*.

Nobody was complaining. I wanted to be clear from my end, as I am technically not doing the poly-thing anymore.

So you meant 'sexual partners'... is what you are saying now ?
I thought partner meant someone you had a intimate relationship with, or share a common goal.
If I am only in a early 'dating' stage, and haven`t fucked a one of them, no, I don`t consider them my partners.

I met Beloved, with whom I am in cahoots, in our graduate school dorm.

I met SW through mutual friends.

Oil Man I met online.

I met Runic Wolf in high school; our friends were dating at the time. He introduced me to Wendigo for the first time at a party at the house that a mutual friend shared with Wendigo's brother-in-law about 6 years ago. Though it took Wendigo's reminder that we actually met there (I was completely plastered and blacked out most of the night - first time I ever lost time drinking) as I thought that we met at a LARP event 5 years ago. Pretty Lady and I had glanced at each other for a year while we picked Wendigo up for LARP, gaming, and Kingdoms of Novitas weekends, but finally developed a friendship after Wendigo and I started our relationship.

I thought partner meant someone you had a intimate relationship with, or share a common goal.

Yep, intimate relationship, however people are wont to interpret it.

Strike of curiosity; how are you technically not doing the poly thing anymore? Just asking because someone I'm potentially interested in is in a similar stage in her relationship.

Strike of curiosity; how are you technically not doing the poly thing anymore? Just asking because someone I'm potentially interested in is in a similar stage in her relationship.

After trying it on for size a few times, I don`t believe it is what I 'feel' inside as either a identity or as a lifestyle.
While I have a ability to 'feel' love with more then one simultaneously, I do not care to partake in more then one intimate 'partner' type, relationship. Zero interest in that aspect currently.
Maybe one day that will change, but for now, this is where I am at. :)

Oil Man I met online.

I don't know why, but I love this alias you have for him. Oil Man.

I picture him as very masculine, barrel-chested, and strong, a kind of a cross between a sexy, burly auto mechanic wearing overalls over his bare chest, his face smudged with oil, and the Tin Man ("Oil Can, Oil Can."). What an imagination I have, hahaha!

Last edited:
I met my husband in a random public place (in a bank) and my girlfriend online, on a forum that wasn't poly-related. The first time we met face to face was just as friends, but it quickly turned into something more.

Our parents introduced us almost ten years ago :)

I met my boyfriend through a coworker friend, who brought me in as a third and then split. Our girlfriend we met online. I usually start out as being friends with my partners, it helps that my social circle is a pretty hedonistic bunch.

I met my husband at the roller rink and I met RP in out local poly discussion group.

I meet partners mainly from other friends or in random public places. I met my partner at a Friday night Magic the Gathering card shoppe/bookstore.

Back