View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
It seems to me we have here a linguistics question. What connotations does this word actually have in real world usage? That's the question. It seems to me obvious that people use first and second as value terms quite regularly. Some restaraunts / wines / books / furniture are "first rate," while others are "second rate". First generally or often connotes "best" or "most important". These, I think, are linguistic facts. "Nope" doesn't change the facts.
Well, damn, River, I guess Olympic silver medals really are indicative of gross inferiority.

Wait a minute...that's right, the secondary status they indicate is actually a great accomplishment! So much for the notion that being secondary automatically indicates something negative!

Seems that my "nope" was actually accurate, after all, eh? The term doesn't automatically imply anything negative. Negative connotations are baggage supplied by only some of the people.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.