View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I'm a little confused by your "married vs. cohabiting" statement. Could you elaborate?
I was a bit surprised this by myself. I went out on a date with a guy who was quite anti-marriage, and argued that especially in a poly context, marriage didn't make sense. He thought that marriage as a sign of commitment is useless, since people should commit to long-term relationships anyway, married or not; or that the fact you are in a long-term relationship with someone requires commitment, so it should be self-evident without the need for any public ceremony. I hope I caught his reasoning right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Also I hope you don't consider all people who are childfree by choice, as I am, to be hateful toward or afraid of children.
Nope, that's why I thought the division isn't really between child-free people, some of whom don't mind hanging out around kids at all and some who like kids, even. The actual problems in my congif for example are not that Moonlightrunner had kids and VanillaIce doesn't, but that Vanilla is scared of kiddies (it's almost a phobia, really). So people who honestly have a problem with kids and are poly probably are not interested in attending events where there will be a lot of families etc.