View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post

An alternate point of view:

There aren't polyamorous and monogamous people; there are polyamorous and monogamous relationships. The same person may at various times be happy in both monogamous and polyamorous relationships at various times in his/her life.
This conception is useful up to a point. I get it. Still, it could be confusing to folks trying to figure out if single people or couples can be defined as polyamorous--which, of course, they can, though they may not at present have multiple simultaneous loverly relationships. What we don't want to do is remove membership status from those who wish to claim membership, simply because they don't have multiple simultaneous partners.

Kevin and I could rightly be said to have had a polyamorous relationship before any of us added another to the mix. And had I been single, I'd still have had a polyamorous relationship with the wider world.

===

Using the below definition, poly is present with "practice, desire, or acceptance".... In this conception / model, there are poly people, because there are personal inclinations and disinclinations.

"Polyamory (from Greek πολύ [poly, meaning many or several] and Latin amor [love]) is the practice, desire, or acceptance of having more than one intimate relationship at a time with the full knowledge and free consent of everyone involved."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory

River's Blog

Last edited by River; 08-28-2011 at 11:40 PM.