View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
But as I got older, I have come to enjoy my solitude and independence, although there are times I am quite lonesome. A poly tribe, or big poly family, is nothing I would ever want, whether there were kids in the equation or not. Maybe if I were still in my 20s or 30s, I'd be into it - but now in my 50s?
In contrast, I am a broody bloke, and in my 50s I want more than ever to live in a big family with lots of kids around, one or two of them mine and lots more kids besides.

So is there division between me and nycindie? I hope not, and certainly not from my side. Remember the 3d: diversity delights in difference.

One thing that has delighted me about meeting polys is the complete lack (in those I have met so far) of the sort of inter-faction hatred and hatred of majority groups that we are talking about over on another thread.

When I went to my first poly meet (only a few weeks ago) I was very nervous, would I as a male hettie get some of the same crap I had in the 70s and 80s? Arriving, it soon became obvious I was another majority as well, who'd have thought that poly would attract so many kinks? But there they all were. And here was me in the evil majority role on all counts... Well if they qare going to be bastards lets get it over with and go somewhere else before the entire day is ruined...

Only it wasn't like the 1980's any more, thank God. This young female gay/bi kink made it totally obvious none of that would be an issue. My day wasn't spoilt at all, I spent some six hours in the company of the group, maybe half of that talking to to that same woman.

And maybe we have a diversity of polyamories (and I could start another with my tendency to type polyamoury, the european spelling) reflecting the fact that we all have different lives to live: but lets not allow it to form divisions. And being poly, there it is easier for us to cope with honest differences: two monos with a difference over whether they wanted children are not going to have a fully happy relationship for both of them; two polys with the same difference could quite well enjoy being in a relationship that represented a 'child free' secondary relationship for the broody one.

May we celebrate diversity, may our differences become solid between us, but always as a bridge and never as a wall.

There are two Rivers here now: which one is this?

see
quaker poly experiences and poly: a quaker perspective

I hope other British Quakers who are poly (or wonder if they are) will contact me here, thanks, Friends.

Last edited by trueRiver; 08-26-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: removed duplicate sig