Thread: Omniamory
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Omniamorous ... thoughts?
Ugh. I think far too many people take a shallow and immature approach to the use of terms. Decrying the use of "labels" as if words force behaviors instead of merely describing behaviors.

There's not a damn thing about the term "polyamorous" that prohibits somebody from choosing a monogamous relationship. I have been polyamorous since adolescence AND I have been involved in some monogamous relationships. The fact that I committed to an exclusive pairing did nothing to change the fact that I preferred non-exclusive relationships.

For folks who don't identify as poly and sometimes engage in multiple relationships, they can describe their current relationships as either poly or mono without need of any weird term that doesn't really indicate much of anything. Srsly--if somebody says they're omni, is that going to indicate they're currently in a mono arrangement? No. Neither does it indicate current poly arrangements. The term offers no useful information.
When speaking of various forms of ain't poly if you're just fucking around.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.