View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
AT, I'm having a difficult time trying to figure what you're getting at in what you just said.

It seems to me that there will be some variation in sexual mores from culture to culture, spiritual tradition to spiritual tradition, but that there are also some universal ethical principles, regardless. Does this much resonate with you?
The listed transgressions of sexual assault and coercion I find wrong, though not because they occur between a spiritual teacher of any sort and a student, but because they're wrong in any context. The notion that sex between a spiritual teacher and a spiritual seeker is inherently a transgression of some sort is what I call bullshit on.

As I said above, in some groups, it is a violation of social expectations. It's certainly not universal.

So, the book offers a list of transgressions comprised of things that are wrong in any context and things that are wrong only in specific social contexts. That really isn't of much use to anybody not in those social contexts.

Quote:
Edit: As I recall (?), you have called your own spiritual tradition by the term "pagan". What sort of a pagan are you? May I ask? My path embraces various magical traditions as well as shamanistic ones.
No magical tradition here. I'm a Canaanite Reconstructionist.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.