View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 AM

Wow... so much can change in the course of six months. Our OSOs have dealt with a lot of drama in their household, but to their credit, they've made time to see us consistently. Jean seems to have let go of her fears of Joe's connection to me. I'm slowly losing my fear of them disappearing. Joe has opened up more about who he really is (tough to swallow at times, but intriguing). DH is... tough to pin down, but he's not in a bad place. He's working on himself.

My hope is that all of these things will work together to get us through the next hurdle. Three weeks ago Joe let me know he was going to work in Kuwait for a year. They need the money. DH and Jean allowed Joe to take me away alone for two days. I told him that when he shared the news, the only thing that ran through my head was, "I held onto you so tightly in my head while you were gone the first time. I just don't think I can do it again." Without hesitation, he answered, "Yes, you can." I shook my head, dazed a bit by the response and thought hard. "Yes," I said, "I can, but I need help." "I'll help you," he assured me. DH said it's the military in Joe. It probably is, but his words were magic to me nonetheless.

This weekend, we say goodbye to him (at least physically) for possibly the next year. We'll all share some quality time and one intimate evening. I am looking forward to it, even though I'm a little scared and sad. And then, next Tuesday, he flies.

Is it crazy that I have some sense of peace about it? Maybe not. Jean is handling it well. Maybe the relationship can thrive in the challenge.