View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairegoad View Post
The answers to your questions are buried in this category: http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5
Yes, I had considered that. Thank you though. If it doesn't already exist, I figured a "how this stuff works" summary thread would be helpful.

Quote:
You realize, of course, that the opinions/rules/comments that someone posts may change--- as they get more experience or different partners.
Yes, that is true. However, at any point in time, an individual has some idea of what works for them and what doesn't, even if they've never thought about it much. Everything changes over time, but that in itself does not make one's thoughts at the present moment lack in meaning.

Quote:
Keep reading... I know many don't like the primary/secondary/tertiary designations. They are useful. I realize everyone wants to be equal... but Some are more equal than others (thank you, George Orwell).
Yeah, pretty much. Striving for equality is the most that can be done a lot of times. It's difficult to actually achieve.

Quote:
"Fully polyamorous?" That almost seems judgmental-- "I'm more polyamorous than you...." I love hearing about the variations in poly. This is a journey, it sounds like you've reached the destination.
I don't like the implications of the term either, and it's gone once I think of something better. Maybe "freely polyamorous." More doesn't necessarily mean better. It could be said that those that place more restrictions on loving others than I do are "less polyamorous," but that doesn't mean I'm better than them, or that they're doing it wrong; just that they do it differently. And yeah, it is a journey. I may have reached a destination, but there are many other places to go.

Quote:
You're talking about philosophical poly... which isn't as interesting to me as practical poly. We can sit around and imagine what it would be like...but real life is better.
There's more to philosophy than the hypothetical. Speculating does play a part, but knowledge, experience, and wisdom play much bigger roles. People tend to use the word "philosophy" to mean "shit I thought up with no basis in reality," but I was using the word in it's "the pursuit of knowledge" capacity. Everything I stated in my initial post, while some of it is speculation on how to avoid past mistakes, is mostly based on experience. Keeping what works and discarding that which does not. In the sense I intended, philosophical polyamory is practical polyamory.

Sorry if any of this came off as argumentative. I was clarifying my meaning, not telling you you're wrong.