View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
I find it interesting to discuss these ideas but I would like to note that I want to keep it academic. I don't want to get caught in a trap of being asked to take sides in a trial of Christianity or polyamory. ...I'm still trying to figure all this out for myself ...
I'm glad you said this. I remember when I first got serious about trying to figure it all out for myself, and I remember how huge these questions felt to me at that time. It doesn't feel that way to me anymore because I've wrestled through them so many times... and I forget in these conversations. I need to be reminded.

Quote:
However, I'm sure a lot of polyamorous people would disagree with the Christian approach to sexuality as a diversion from higher spirituality.
Christians approach sexuality in a variety of ways. Sexuality as a "diversion from higher spirituality" is only one of those ways. Sexuality as an integral part of our authentic selves is completely in keeping with Scriptural teachings that God created humankind in God's own image and that we are commanded to love and honor ourselves.

So yes, poly folk often disagree with "sex as diversion" teachings/traditions/interpretations that are associated with some Christian traditions. Meanwhile, "sex as integral" Christian teachings/traditions/interpretations are, unfortunately, less well known. Nevertheless, these teachings/traditions/interpretations do exist. Polyamory and Christianity are compatible. No one has to give up one in order to have the other.

Religious Declaration on Sexual Morality, Justice, and Healing
http://www.religiousinstitute.org/re...ce-and-healing

Jasmine

Last edited by jasminegld; 07-06-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Add link