View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have attempted getting advice on this from a few different people (bf, gf, best friend and another close friend) but still trying to work out in my head how to go about this. We have been together 7-8 months now and are madly in love, always together, I don't see this ending any time soon. I want her to feel welcome in my family, not have to hide my feelings for her or worry about being spotted being affectionate and having my parents be shocked or confused. And I am close with my mom and want to be able to talk about my relationship since it is such a huge part of my life.

I'm honestly not too worried about their reactions. Though maybe I am just so smitten with my gf, happy and confident in our relationship I assume everyone else will be as well lol . Really though my parents have always been supportive of anything I try to do. About 7 years ago when I was a teenager they suspected I had a gf which I sort of did and my mom was extremely upset. She was raised very religious but has since changed a LOT and has gotten much more open minded in the past 5 yrs or so. My parents are definitely gay friendly. But I guess we'll see what they think when it comes to their own child being with another woman.

I guess I'm just stuck on *how* to bring this up to them. My gf thinks I should do it face to face and sees it as sort of a "facing my fears" type of thing. I am much more comfortable talking about it with my mom first than my dad because we're closer so I'm just trying to figure out how to go about this. Do I casually bring it up somehow like saying "I've got a dinner date with her and oh yeah we've been dating for this long now" lol..... or do I sit her down and say I have something I've been meaning to tell you... Hmm...