View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminegld View Post
What then does "unrighteousness" refer to in verse 14?

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
I see your point. I don't know what the writer would say if we asked him. I think you CAN safely interpret the words in their own terms, e.g. "unrighteousness" could simply refer to a state of mind in which righteousness is rejected, i.e. total relativism. You could say that two people who disagree on what is righteous are still in communion about establishing what IS righteous. You don't have to interpret it as meaning that one person's righteousness is always going to lead them to condemn another's righteousness as unrighteous just because it's different. All righteous people are interested in transcending darkness and seeing the light - so when they reject light in favor of ignorance, you could say they're choosing to be unrighteous. According to Jesus, the only ultimate sin was blasphemy of Holy Spirit, which I basically interpret to mean failing to believe that higher truth can be achieved.

Quote:
Yes. IMO, Christianity relates to polyamory because a Christian can be polyamorous, and a poly person can be Christian. A lot of people think, erroneously, that they are mutually exclusive, and that erroneous belief causes grief for a lot of other people who are seeking answers for their personal lives.
Yes, I agree that there's a difference between polyamory/polygamy, which is practiced in Islam and was practiced in ancient Judaism, and adultery and fornication, which are described as sins. Of course, what constitutes fornication depends on what you consider 'marriage.' If you believe that marriage can simply entail embracing full responsibility for your relationship with someone, then you don't need a church or marriage certificate to feel married 'in God's eyes.'

However, I'm sure a lot of polyamorous people would disagree with the Christian approach to sexuality as a diversion from higher spirituality. I think Jesus was pretty clear in expressing that sex should be limited to what is needed to 'quench the burn' (my words). I.e. he said that practicing celebacy, like he did, was the best but for people who can't do that, "it's better to marry than to burn (with lust)" Anyway, I think you can study the teachings and figure out ways to apply them to practically any situation if you like them. Probably some polyamourists would like to be Christian and others not.

The part about divorce says that it's better to marry another believer but if someone becomes a believer and their spouse doesn't, they shouldn't divorce the unbelieving spouse. On the other hand, it says that if the unbelieving spouse leaves, it's better to let them go because doing so is supposed to demonstrate forgiveness and potentially make a believer out of them by doing so.

I find it interesting to discuss these ideas but I would like to note that I want to keep it academic. I don't want to get caught in a trap of being asked to take sides in a trial of Christianity or polyamory. Everyone has to use their own authority to decide what they think or disagree with. I don't mind giving my opinion based on my own authority, but I don't want to be attacked for anything I think or say. I'm still trying to figure all this out for myself and I wouldn't claim to be an absolute authority - but I also won't accept anyone else as one either