View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminegld View Post
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Notice the context. This was a letter from Paul to a particular church; it wasn't Jesus talking, but Paul to one small congregation with a specific set of problems that Paul was addressing in particular. Problems that we can only guess at.
The first thing that comes to mind for me is the part of the bible where Jesus is criticized for eating with sinners, and he says that his work is with sinners. Maybe you're right to point out Paul not being Jesus and he was missing the proactive part of Jesus' teachings.

Quote:
Notice also the Us vs Them set-up. "We" are righteous. "They" are automatically unrighteous because their religious beliefs are different. That's a very defensive posture.
I wouldn't immediately interpret positive claims of righteousness as having the purpose of condemning others as unrighteous. The central issue in Christianity is that all people are sinners on a journey to become better, though they can never totally transcend human imperfections. I think "righteous" just refers to having seen the light.

Quote:
It goes back to the "Pulling together" image. If two or more people can agree/compromise well enough to pull together in their relationship, then they have a reasonable chance of making it work. Whether it's religion or polyamory or politics or something else. If they can't agree/compromise about enough to pull together, then how can they ever have a moment's peace or happiness together? Whether it's religion or polyamory or politics or something else.

It's the pulling together that matters. Are we working together for common goals?
Do you know that passage about Jesus not coming to bring peace but a sword and to turn sister against mother (or something to that effect)? I interpret that as meaning that people don't need to agree to love and forgive each other. So it's like he's telling people to support, love, and help each other even in their differences and conflicts. I think it means that conflicts are ok and inevitable when people are pursuing their truths and that he doesn't want to bring peace where peace means that people should give up their truth or stop studying others' truths just because they're different than their own.

If Christianity relates to polyamory, I think it's because Jesus loved everyone - but he also preferred celibacy to sex for those who could stand it, and I think he preferred monogamy to polygamy, though now that I think about it I don't remember him criticizing the polygamy of the old testament, only divorce. Maybe he was just for marrying whomever you needed to but at the same time trying to remain as focussed as possible on spirit over flesh.