Thread: Sex Addiction
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
Your second post about the hungry ghosts went a bit far, however, imo. I feel that there is something good about feeling desire and the challenge to solve the problem it poses.
As do I! Although I'm a "Buddhist" (of some sort)..., a practitioner of the Way of Buddha Dharma, I'm the first to insist that desire is not our enemy. It is our friend on the Way -- provided we're practicing the Way, which celebrates all wholesome desires while warning of the unwholesome ones -- and providing a practice path to transform all desires into wholesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmonogamist View Post
Someone told me recently that what people ultimately long for is to merge with God, the ultimate source of love. Whether you believe this or want to call it "God" or something else, I think the point is that we're always hungry for more love, to go further with love, etc. It is just the nature of life-energy, I think, to want to keep progressing toward greater goodness and love. Certainly you can be grateful and joyful for the love you have and have had, but surely it's also good to go forth and multiply it (to use a cliched expression) and to feel a hunger/desire to do that.
I'm a naturalistic and non-theistic mystic. "God," to me, is a problematic concept and word -- because I know that, ultimately, the entire Cosmos is the body of ... well, the unspeakable (about which love is its essence). If there is nothing which is not "God" (ech!) -- the Divine -- then "God" becomes quite a confusing and confused word.

That said, my spiritual life is much influenced by Sufi poetry: Rumi, Kabir, Hafiz.... God, to me, is a sort of concealing metaphor. I'd rather surrender to and awaken into the real world than to fall for God.

Buddhist author, Mark Epstein, has written a delighful and wise book called "Open To Desire,"
http://www.amazon.com/Open-Desire-Em.../dp/1592401082
in which he shows that desire is, indeed, the friend of the practitioner of Dharma--, and any authentic spiritual path. One should never attempt to crush or run from desire. That would be running from or crushing our precious humanity.

Our already whole hearts want to realize their own true nature, as and/or within unselfish desire. If our desires are generous and kind desires, toward ourselves and all others, all of existence, then we can celebrate these desires as the infinite and unending path of neverending awakening. (I don't believe there is an endpoint. "Enlightenment" is what the universe does, unendingly. And each of us are continuous with that, not separate from it.)

River's Blog

Last edited by River; 07-04-2011 at 12:16 AM.