View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
The article is called "There's No Such Thing As Polyamory," by Barry Smiler, written last year and published in the Electronic Journal of Human Sexuality, Volume 14, April 7, 2011.
That's an interesting take NYC.

I can't say that I ever thought of it that way, but can't say I disagree with the crux of it either.

I doubt that many people who swing would say/feel that they are navigating within a set of "externally" created guidelines but in fact they are to a degree. Because the swing scene is a subculture itself, of course it has it's own 'rules and guidelines' that a majority of people will adhere to - whether knowingly or not.

But I don't see poly as being any different - except in scale (numbers) as the author mentioned. It's still a subculture, has it's own set of evolving rules and guidelines, and has variance within the culture the same as all cultures do.

The fact that "poly rules" may be more difficult doesn't make it something unique. It just means the extra effort will likely discourage more people, thus keeping the numbers down.

Interesting..........

GS