Thread: Privacy
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 11:17 PM

For me privacy is huge; I'm the oldest of 6. From the time I was 4 until I was 12 I shared a room with two of my brothers. After that I shared a room with one of my sisters until I left for college. My siblings never respected my stuff; my brother would read my diary; my sister opened and then destroyed all my collectible dolls. At college, my roommate told the RA that she'd walked in on Runic Wolf and I having sex when we were both dressed sitting on the floor watching American Beauty when she came home.... I am an open person BUT if you want to know, you have to ask. If I share my private thoughts with a friend to help me sort through them, to give me a new perspective via e-mail; I don't want anyone else to read that conversation. That doesn't mean I'm hiding it or being secretive; I will share my thoughts and feelings when I have it all sorted out. I'll even tell you that I talked it out with so and so to make sure that I'm not crazy. I don't know if that helps you any Mo, but for me being open doesn't mean I stop being autonomous and to me marriage (especially closed marriage) doesn't take away one's autonomy. As I see it, two becoming one doesn't mean losing yourself, your right to private thoughts, time for self reflection, etc. It means that you lean on each other and give each other strength. Honesty and integrity are important to that, but your whole self, thoughts, ideas, right to privacy aren't lost in that agreement; though a friend of mine seems to see his wife as his property (as in his opinion women are not to be trusted to make their own decisions).