Thread: River's Blog
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by River View Post
...I have thought about walking hand-in-hand with her, out and about. I don't do that much with Kevin. We do that a little. We're not freaked out about the gaze of straight folks. But the reality is, should I have a girlfriend (and that's how it feels), I can hold her hand in public, can kiss her in public, walk arm-in-arm, and we'll just be ordinary folk. It won't attract disgusted or dismissive attention. (One very rarely sees two men holding hands in public in Santa Fe.)
I know the feeling. Yesterday I was feeling particularly cuddly, and my gf and I were at the grocery store. I just wanted to put my arm around her each time we stopped our cart to look for an item, but really felt I couldnt. People would've looked and stared. Het couples can do it and no one thinks a thing of it. I did touch her a couple times briefly, but with awareness of who was nearby. Add in she is trans and is already paranoid enough about being "read" and whispered about when she's on the street.

Here's to better days for queers!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

A standing prick hath no conscience. --Bill Shakespeare

me: Mags, female, pansexual, 60, poly-dating, and loving and living with
miss pixi, female, pansexual, poly, 38