View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Poly on paper is as easy as a regular relationship. Once you throw in emotional responses logic for most people gets tossed out the window.
All relationships, on paper, look to be easy. There will always be some conflict due to being humans with different understandings of expectations, and so forth, even among folks who have well-developed relationship skillz.

It's the instances of gross dysfunction that always puzzle me. A question that pops into my head on reading some of the scenarios is "Have you had *any* functional relationships in your life?"

Quote:
This idea of everyones relationship being unique.. In the end that's peoples need to want to feel like they are part of a group, but being left to justify any failures to it's uniqueness. It's a simple copout. Its better than blaming a tough relationship on the people involved.
Yup. It would be so much easier to have some reason other than a lack of compatibility (that could have been noticed much earlier) or having weak relationship skills. Saying "My Love Fu was not strong enough" is a humbling experience (he says from experience).

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.