Thread: Moreness
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 AM

Location: Florida, where all the loose parts fell when someone shook the country

When I think about equanimity, I sometimes think of the short poem (called "Eternity", I think) by William Blake that reads: "He who binds to himself a joy / Doth the winged life destroy; / But he who kisses the joy as it flies / Lives in eternity's sunrise."

In Buddhism, equanimity is one of four Brahma Viharas, i.e., divine abodes, or divine states of mind. The other three are compassion, loving-kindness, and sympathetic joy. One teaching I've often encountered is the idea that all four Brahma Viharas should be cultivated and that each should be cultivated in proportion to the others; they complement each other, and the capacity for each is fully developed (within a particular psyche) only when the capacities for the three others are fully developed as well. (I could qualify the word "capacity" here, and distinguish between latent and active capacities, but I don't want to over-complicate things - I hope that the gist of what I'm saying is coming through.) So, a person who has a great deal of equanimity also has a great deal of compassion, experiences much sympathetic joy, and loves abundantly.

Snow Bunting...I have no experience with Buddhism...my only real exposure to various religions was an overview course in college, where I discovered black chuch as in AAfrican Methodist Episcopal...was way more fun and agreed with me, than white church...
but the four viharas..those are what I see and act through...I had no idea this was a formed philosophy in the greater world...
thank you for your insight so freely given...