Thread: Moreness
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Location: Florida, where all the loose parts fell when someone shook the country

When I think about equanimity, I sometimes think of the short poem (called "Eternity", I think) by William Blake that reads: "He who binds to himself a joy / Doth the winged life destroy; / But he who kisses the joy as it flies / Lives in eternity's sunrise."

In Buddhism, equanimity is one of four Brahma Viharas, i.e., divine abodes, or divine states of mind. The other three are compassion, loving-kindness, and sympathetic joy. One teaching I've often encountered is the idea that all four Brahma Viharas should be cultivated and that each should be cultivated in proportion to the others; they complement each other, and the capacity for each is fully developed (within a particular psyche) only when the capacities for the three others are fully developed as well. (I could qualify the word "capacity" here, and distinguish between latent and active capacities, but I don't want to over-complicate things - I hope that the gist of what I'm saying is coming through.) So, a person who has a great deal of equanimity also has a great deal of compassion, experiences much sympathetic joy, and loves abundantly.

Snow Bunting...I have no experience with only real exposure to various religions was an overview course in college, where I discovered black chuch as in AAfrican Methodist Episcopal...was way more fun and agreed with me, than white church...
but the four viharas..those are what I see and act through...I had no idea this was a formed philosophy in the greater world...
thank you for your insight so freely given...
All knowledge, the totality of all questions and answers, is contained in the dog--Franz Kafka