View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
If I were to pick one thing that was close. It would be lord of the rings. But.. but.. it can never be perfect as it was flawed in some of its story telling. It strayed from the book (which it had to do due to the size of the books) and added some extra goopy romance. All in all, it was pretty close..
It's a mistake to judge how good a film is by whether or not it was faithful to the original material from which it was adapted. Film is a visual medium. Books require imagination. A screen adaptation usually MUST stray in order to be tell the story well on the screen, and for the pacing to keep the viewer's interest. You simply cannot include every detail of a long book in a film script. Adaptations are very tricky for even the most experienced screenwriter. Of course, diehard fans of a book always feel like a film should be exactly like the book, and if it isn't, it's a travesty (case in point - the absolute rage there was over the ending to My Sister's Keeper!). But a good director knows that is impossible to do. What they try to do is evoke the right tone or emotional atmosphere of whatever book is being adapted.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 05-21-2011 at 07:02 AM.