View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 03:29 PM

Interesting!

I wonder though... since anything we do on a regular basis, changes our neural pathways and develops new pathways that become stronger-- is it a matter of addiction being caused by having different pathways, or is it because of repeating a certain behavior over many years that we have trained new pathways to create addictions?

I know that because I've always been anxious, my brain has developed stellar neural pathways for anxiety which makes it much easier for me to become anxious and stay anxious-- as opposed to someone who never had anxiety as a child.

Maybe this weekend when I have time (and am not supposed to be working) I'll dig up some of my research on that.

There is controversy in the field about the addition in the DSM-V. And I'm not completely sure it's set yet, there are still a lot of back and forth going on about it. I do respect the differences in opinions on this, but as of yet I'm still in the camp that figuring out the underlying issues for the person and in the relationship, is more important than giving someone a diagnosis, sending them to a 12-step program and vindicating the other partner that the issue had nothing to do with them and the relationship. I know that's not what's meant here, but that's what most people are wanting when they "diagnose" their partner with sex addiction (from what I hear from other therapists in the field).

Hell, homosexuality was listed as a diagnosable disorder in the DSM up until 1979. It definitely moves with the social climate, and right now addiction is the next big thing.