View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:48 PM

I agree - monogamy is 'easier' if you're not already in love with 2.

Monogamy is 'easier' if you have a lot of social/family pressures.

Monogamy is 'easier' if you have a lot of time constraints.

Relationships happen though - and its all about learning to communicate and work effectively within them.

I'm not in any other romantic relationships at this point - although I am half in love with someone...however that relationship will always always be what it appears to be. (yeah convoluted) But anyhow - my point.

I practice my communication skills on my friends and 'non-romantic' relationships because with better communication skills, I'll be able to mitigate any disasters from happening - not that I have control over someone else's lack of communication/maturity - but I will be able to say with clarity - "This isn't working for me. We need to find a workable solution that helps us ALL meet our needs"

Otherwise you have 3 or more people reacting emotionally without communicating effectively and everyone gets hurt.

So practice. Practice communication, practice being clear in what you need and want, and if a poly opportunity arises, you'll be more prepared.

But no, choosing monogamy is not the easy way out - you still have to work just as hard at communication for an effective monogamous relationship as you do for an effective poly relationship.

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane