Thread: Reinventing Ivy
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarFromRight View Post
At least I didn't have to put up with much of that "hate the smart kid" stuff, because I went to a British-system school
I WISH they did that here. I got so adept at "hiding" my intelligence to survive that I started to see it as a social liability (I still do, on rare occasions). Vino was a bio-nerd as a kid, and got the same treatment, and I've heard the same thing from lots of other people. On the flipside, my son needs lots of special needs tutoring, and doesn't get it because he's lumped in with everyone else.

Quote:
it seems that you did this for the sake of possible future children and not for YOURSELF.
Sad, but true, in a way. I definitely didn't think enough of myself, independently, to put out that much effort, though I did also do it so I could let go of some of that self-blame. I couldn't fix my son's birth defect, but I could fix the problem that (may or may not have) caused it.

Incidentally, we had another baby, a little girl, between Parts I and II. She's healthy as a horse.

Quote:
I hope that you're well into the loving-yourself times.
Heh. Getting there. Just getting to the point now where it doesn't surprise the heck out of me when people tell me I'm attractive, but still not to the point where I can act on it without an overwhelming sense of inevitable rejection. But...more on that to come, if I keep up this blog.

Quote:
I wonder...is this some kind of further surgery for your child?
Sort of. His caregiver gave him the wrong med dose and it sent him into seizures. We had a day of "sit and wait" to see if he was okay. He is. They're sending him home this evening.

Quote:
getting one major filling, several minor ones, and the stump of a molar pulled
Ouch!! Not fun...

Quote:
This evening I perform a clown number for an anti-nuclear-energy vigil.
...but at least this sounds AWESOME. Hope you survive the first part, and have tons of fun at the second.