View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFTrick View Post
So I just feel that being poly is just about letting yourself feel the way you feel and express your feelings.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFTrick View Post
Sadly I do enough other weird things that make me hard to date so I don't know if I can add being poly to my list of unusual things (vegetarian, yoga, painting toy soldiers, crazy sex stuff, etc). I imagine that people already in the poly community are pretty accepting of weird hobbies but it doesn't seem like the mainstream society is accepting of the weird hobbies. On a side note I am amazed how many people think it is weird for a guy to be interested in vegetarianism and yoga.
How do you know if you are gay? Some people just know, often from quite early on. Then there are those who have their suspicions, but for the lack of opportunity/general aversion to labels/fear of societal condemnation put the thought on hold until something happens that provides them with material for comparison. And then there are those who have no clue until they fall for someone of the same sex, BIG time. And sexual orientation can change during the life course, sometimes many times.

So how is poly different? I agree wholeheartedly with Bella. Self-educate before, during and after exploration. Seek out the local poly community, go to meets and look for that little spark of recognition; 'This is how I feel, this is what I have been missing all along'.

As to your list of weirdness; vegetarian (check), yoga (check), toy soldiers (Hmm, does playing knights count? And getting all hot and bothered over military history?), weird sex stuff (check). Add, I dunno, SF enthusiasm and more than a small dose of anarchism. Point being? There are a lot of WEIRDOS in poly. Gamers, BDSM folks, alternative lifestyle hippies etc. I guess many people who are interested in marginal things that label them WEIRDO in the mainstream realize that you don't actually die from being different, and if this basic belief that holds society together (difference equals death) doesn't hold true, maybe there are other beliefs that don't - say, single standard lifetime monogamy as the Only True Way of romantic relations?